IGNORED

What spot would you aim for.

9wood
Note: This thread is 2990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You have 138 yds to the green. The green slopes off to the left rear and no matter which part of the green you hit you can be sure your ball will roll off the green and down a hill. So do you aim for a spot just to the right of the green which leaves you with a down hill breaking chip or putt depending on which cut of grass your ball lies in, or do you aim for a spot on the left side and just off the green which gives you an uphill chip shot or putt depending on whether you're in the first or second cut of grass

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd need a better visual. Absent that, I aim for wherever gives me the shortest path to the hole. Likely choose short of the green rather than long, as I generally find there is more trouble long than short. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

For me, uphill is always easier than down hill. I have better control of the chip/putt. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 minutes ago, 9wood said:

The green slopes off to the left rear and no matter which part of the green you hit you can be sure your ball will roll off the green and down a hill.

I'm trying to understand what kind of diabolical architect designed such a green to begin with.

The answer is shorter is better, even if it's going downhill away from you.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, 9wood said:

You have 138 yds to the green. The green slopes off to the left rear and no matter which part of the green you hit you can be sure your ball will roll off the green and down a hill.

How far down a hill? 

Also, lets say you have to chip from the front what are the odds you are going to be going down that hill? 

Is this green so severe that anything just rolls of if it isn't a lightly tapped putt?

If it was my game, hit a very high iron to the front half of the green :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Assuming I understand that the ball is going to roll left and toward the rear, I aim somewhat right and short.  Not so far right or short that I might miss the green but far enough over to possibly allow the ball to stop rolling before it goes off the green.

Then, when the ball rolls off the green and down the hill I start cursing the m'fer that created this mess.  There really should never be a green complex that doesn't accept some version of a golf shot, even if it is a 138 yard bump & run.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator

I can't answer because I've never seen such a green.

Generally speaking you're better off closer to the hole. The whole uphill/downhill thing is one of those things golfers get wrong all the time. You're better off closer to the hole if the lie of the ball (i.e. not bunker vs. fringe or something) are equal.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, 9wood said:

You have 138 yds to the green. The green slopes off to the left rear and no matter which part of the green you hit you can be sure your ball will roll off the green and down a hill. So do you aim for a spot just to the right of the green which leaves you with a down hill breaking chip or putt depending on which cut of grass your ball lies in, or do you aim for a spot on the left side and just off the green which gives you an uphill chip shot or putt depending on whether you're in the first or second cut of grass

A photograph would be nice.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've played greens that slope front to back, but they are not that severe that you can't hold the green with an 8 iron (my 140 yard club). I do play a long par 4 that slopes that way, but I am usually hitting a 5W or 3H to the green. In that case, I want the ball to land short of the green and roll on. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Assuming the flag is roughly in the middle of the uphill / downhill, then definitely the uphill shot.  If a lot closer to the downhill then take the downhill shot and baby it.  Assuming there is no way to hold the green even if it rolls on.  If not just run it in and keep it here

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

14 hours ago, saevel25 said:

How far down a hill? 

Also, lets say you have to chip from the front what are the odds you are going to be going down that hill? 

Is this green so severe that anything just rolls of if it isn't a lightly tapped putt?

If it was my game, hit a very high iron to the front half of the green :-D

1. Usually about 20 yds downhill

2. If you end up short of the green you can chip but be prepared for your ball to break quite a bit to the left

3. If you try to hit the green from 138 out, I have yet to see a ball stay on the green

4. What iron would you hit from 138 yds out? I could imagine it might work if you can hit a 56 degree wedge 138 yds. I know that for me I could reach it with a 8 iron, and I have but no matter where I hit the green the ball rolls off.

Is the green so hard that you can't even leave a divot with a high shot from 138 yards?  Thats what I'm imagining since you can leave a putt on the green but nothing will stick from 138.  If that's the case I'd try to leave it just short of the green so it might trickle on leave me a putt from the fringe or a short chip.

Seems to be a poorly designed and/or maintained hole.

49 minutes ago, 9wood said:

2. If you end up short of the green you can chip but be prepared for your ball to break quite a bit to the left

3. If you try to hit the green from 138 out, I have yet to see a ball stay on the green

4. What iron would you hit from 138 yds out? I could imagine it might work if you can hit a 56 degree wedge 138 yds. I know that for me I could reach it with a 8 iron, and I have but no matter where I hit the green the ball rolls off.

My 9i is about my 132-135 club, so that's what I'd use to get close. If it rolls correctly then I get another 5 yards at most depending upon the spin I can get on it. If everything rolls that much anyway, I would putt off the green. Layup with PW?

We have lots of island greens on the courses I play most, and putting is a successful strategy no matter the conditions for greens like this.

Altadena GC 4th hole is 172 yards, and tough to hold because even the green is convex. Everyone I know lays up unless they can reliably hit the spot between the bunker and the green. I typically switch off between 7i and 6i only if I feel really confident. No matter what, I putt around the green even if in the "rough"/hard pan around it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
2 hours ago, 9wood said:

So you have a green that you can't hold, and which if you hit the green, you're faced with a shot where the green is 60 feet above your ball?

Huh?

I can't answer this question because I've never seen anything like that, really, in golf.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

So you have a green that you can't hold, and which if you hit the green, you're faced with a shot where the green is 60 feet above your ball?

Huh?

I can't answer this question because I've never seen anything like that, really, in golf.

That's a hell of a long putt off the green!

I misread that statement, I just assumed he stated 20 feet! We've discovered a new sport combination. Rock climbing and Golf! :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Huh?

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

That's a hell of a long putt off the green!

I misread that statement, I just assumed he meant 20 feet!

No kidding! 60 feet is like a six story building. Has to be a typo. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

5 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

No kidding! 60 feet is like a six story building. Has to be a typo. 

Yeah, rock climbing and golf all combined into one sport!  I can imagine the banter around the green: "On belay"; "Belay on"; "Putting, Four!"; "Rappelling down to the ball"; "Belay on"; "Climb on". Hammering giant pitons into the green would be shunned upon, so they would need "Sport" anchors. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!