IGNORED

PGA of America and GolfTEC Alliance

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 2913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was a bit surprised to read this.  While GolfTEC does employ a large number of PGA of America professionals, it seems the alliance would alienate those not associated with GolfTEC.  I also see it as a conflict of interest given GolfTEC is affiliated with Golfsmith which competes with other major chains as well as small mom and pop stores.  

I can't imagine this is being received well by those that compete with GolfTEC and Golfsmith and not sure that it helps grow the PGA of America.  

http://www.pga.com/news/pga/pga-america-forms-strategic-alliance-golftec

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2016 at 5:51 AM, newtogolf said:

I was a bit surprised to read this.  While GolfTEC does employ a large number of PGA of America professionals, it seems the alliance would alienate those not associated with GolfTEC.  I also see it as a conflict of interest given GolfTEC is affiliated with Golfsmith which competes with other major chains as well as small mom and pop stores.  

I can't imagine this is being received well by those that compete with GolfTEC and Golfsmith and not sure that it helps grow the PGA of America.  

Golftec has some pretty good trainers and equipment. Considering all the equipment they have, it seems like they are not super profitable even though they charge a lot for lessons. Everyone there seems pretty passionate about golf, and that could be seen as a positive?

I also like Golfsmith, they rarely sell you anything that is not a decent for for you. If you are not ready for something they will tell you, and not just try to make a quick sale. Of course, the same thing could be said for all the other stores I've been to in my area.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 3/17/2016 at 6:51 AM, newtogolf said:

I am very curious to hear the opinions of this from our PGA  pro members.  My initial reaction is that if I was a member of the PGA who does not work or GolfTEC I'd probably be pretty ticked off.  I would feel that it was distinctly not cool for my professional organization to get in bed with one of my competitors.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

35 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I am very curious to hear the opinions of this from our PGA  pro members.  My initial reaction is that if I was a member of the PGA who does not work or GolfTEC I'd probably be pretty ticked off.  I would feel that it was distinctly not cool for my professional organization to get in bed with one of my competitors.

Golftec is looking at hiring:

Employment – GolfTEC forecasts the addition of nearly 400-500 more PGA Professionals over the next five years, as the company continues on its significant growth trajectory.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, turtleback said:

I have a few clients who are PGA pro members and they are very ticked off.  It compromises their business and while it's not a full on endorsement it's being used that way by GolfTEC.  

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I have a few clients who are PGA pro members and they are very ticked off.  It compromises their business and while it's not a full on endorsement it's being used that way by GolfTEC.  

As it should be. :-)

I also noticed that Golftec seems to produce a lot of single digit golfers to boot.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

This is an interesting reaction. It is not like they are saying the best PGA Pros are at GolfTec. They are saying that GolfTec, a big employer of PGA Professionals, is now in a partnership with the place that accredits those professionals. It is not like it is saying they are better or anything.

I am interested to hear more on why they are upset.

Michael

14 hours ago, mchepp said:

This is an interesting reaction. It is not like they are saying the best PGA Pros are at GolfTec. They are saying that GolfTec, a big employer of PGA Professionals, is now in a partnership with the place that accredits those professionals. It is not like it is saying they are better or anything.

I am interested to hear more on why they are upset.

Those that are upset are golf store owners that compete against Golfsmith.  Since GolfTec is tightly associated with Golfsmith, the PGA of America is indirectly helping to promote Golfsmith.    

Joe Paradiso

My friend who is a 5 index went to golf tec and they filled his head with so many swing thoughts he could barely break 85. I dont think swinging/practicing indoors 100% of the time is beneficial to some golfers. I have to see my real ball flight. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
2 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

My friend who is a 5 index went to golf tec and they filled his head with so many swing thoughts he could barely break 85. I dont think swinging/practicing indoors 100% of the time is beneficial to some golfers. I have to see my real ball flight. 

No you don't. :-) You just think you do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

57 minutes ago, iacas said:

No you don't. :-) You just think you do.

True, but I still like to see the whole thing.

Though, I have never practiced indoors for an extended period of time. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

1 minute ago, kpaulhus said:

True, but I still like to see the whole thing.

Though, I have never practiced indoors for an extended period of time. 

That's the great part about being in a location with all year golf, we never learn to appreciate indoor golf. :beer:

Do you ever use range balls, or does your club have premium balls? If you use range balls the flight's not the same anyway. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

My club has NXT tours on the range, though I have hit the crappy range balls before.

Kyle Paulhus

Probably will lead to GT locations not in GS stores. When I looked into GT the couple lessons I took were not in a GT store, the corp. HQ is here in CO. My instructor was the National Director and he offered more than just GT, playing lessons and all that.

Dave :-)

Ive only seen Golf Tec locations in their own spot in a shopping mall. Ive never seen them inside an actual Golf Smith store.

Kyle Paulhus

48 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Ive only seen Golf Tec locations in their own spot in a shopping mall. Ive never seen them inside an actual Golf Smith store.

Maybe they have different business models outside of New York but if you look at the Golfsmith website (http://www.golfsmith.com/display?page=golftec) they do advertise GolfTEC services so there is some association.  

Joe Paradiso

Well maybe the PGA Pros should learn the correct ball flight laws and proper swing techniques. Not just give out "quick tips" that produce no results.   The worse lessons I have had all came from PGA pros...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

22 minutes ago, pumaAttack said:

Well maybe the PGA Pros should learn the correct ball flight laws and proper swing techniques. Not just give out "quick tips" that produce no results.   The worse lessons I have had all came from PGA pros...

That's why they have a ton of equipment at Golftec.

Measures everything so you don't have to follow the wrong laws blindly, it's completely measurable.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!