IGNORED

2016 Golf Digest Golf Ball List

Note: This thread is 3080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/hot-list-golf-balls

What's really stupid is that Snell is ranked as a silver because it doesn't have the name recognition. Like that matters when it comes to getting the ball into the hole. 

Here is a chart showing the golf balls launch angles and spin rates off pitch shots. As usual the golf balls with Urethane covers launch a tad lower with more spin than a non-premium golf ball. 

Look at #21 smack dab in the middle at the $25-$36 dollar range. Snell's My Tour Ball ;) 

56f2077914411_WedgeSpin.thumb.JPG.32cb6d

For those who are looking for a more spinny non-premium priced ball go for the Snell. Some other options look like Vice Pro Plus, Bridgestone E5, Titleist NXT Tour S and the Taylormade Project (A)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

For those who are looking for a more spinny non-premium priced ball go for the Snell. Some other options look like Vice Pro Plus, Bridgestone E5, Titleist NXT Tour S and the Taylormade Project (A)

I just ordered 12 dozen custom imprinted Snells for my college golfers. They're going to Nationals in May.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I really need to check these out. I just ordered 4 dozen provX so Ill be stocked up for at least a few months haha

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

19 hours ago, saevel25 said:

What's really stupid is that Snell is ranked as a silver because it doesn't have the name recognition.

I never understood the whole gold/silver thing anyway. They base a bunch of it on subjective things like brand recognition as you said, but fail to recognize the value you get for the performance. It's completely arbitrary.

I love my Snells and as long as people don't recognize the name, they won't pick my ball up on the course.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I think the gold or silver ranking in GD is directly related to the advertising dollars spent by the manufacturer.

Name recognition = I recognize the name of your product in the pages of the publication that pays my salary and allows me go to 'work' at the golf course.

How are the distance / spin characteristics on full shots for the Snell?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Over the last few years I've played a dozen or so of most of the balls golf digest tested.  I'd say the Snell My Tour balls are as good or better than any on the list. No @natureboy I don't have numbers to prove it. I just have played enough with "gold"  ranked balls to know Snell stacks up in every way. I do think golf spy has done a comparison with some numbers. You won't be disappointed with the Snell My Tour balls if you give them a try.

My golf ball use is strictly price driven.  I play balls that are in the less than $25 parameter.

Play mostly with the Callaway SuperSoft, which was tested, and the Nike HyperFlight, which was not one of the tested golf balls...

13 hours ago, Osnola said:

My golf ball use is strictly price driven.  I play balls that are in the less than $25 parameter.

Play mostly with the Callaway SuperSoft, which was tested, and the Nike HyperFlight, which was not one of the tested golf balls...

The Snell MyTour ball, IMO, is far superior to the Supersoft.  And if you buy 6 dozen, they come in at $26.50/dozen.  To me it's the best ball for the price, bar none and it's as good or better than many of the other premium balls.  Nothing touches it at the price.  

On 3/23/2016 at 11:14 PM, iacas said:

I just ordered 12 dozen custom imprinted Snells for my college golfers. They're going to Nationals in May.

Awesome, what college team do you coach?  

As an aside, a buddy of mine asked if Snell was going to make a yellow ball.  He liked the ball very much but only plays yellow golf balls?  Any chance you heard if they will do a yellow or orange ball?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Awesome, what college team do you coach?  

As an aside, a buddy of mine asked if Snell was going to make a yellow ball.  He liked the ball very much but only plays yellow golf balls?  Any chance you heard if they will do a yellow or orange ball?

Penn-State Behrend.

Probably a negative on the yellow balls.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Penn-State Behrend.

Probably a negative on the yellow balls.

Have you been coaching them for the 5 consecutive AMCC titles?  Impressive.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Have you been coaching them for the 5 consecutive AMCC titles?  Impressive.

First year.

Just now, iacas said:

First year.

It's nice that they have a good golf coach, when I played at U Maine in the 90's the journalism professor was the golf coach and his TA was the assistant.  Only thing they could help with was mention what the other players were doing while you were on the course.

-Jerry

I do not like to play with a ball that starts with the letter "T" because they tend to get picked up.

There are so many balls now it is hard to make a selection. Thanks for the post.

I picked up some orange Volvik Vista IS and have found them to be great.  They feel pretty nice and are really easy to find to.  Finished the last two rounds with the same ball I started with, which is quite rare for me.    

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, ppine said:

I do not like to play with a ball that starts with the letter "T" because they tend to get picked up.

There are so many balls now it is hard to make a selection. Thanks for the post.

Amen to that! I sharpie out the logo so they can't tell what it is!!

Note: This thread is 3080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!