IGNORED

GAME GOLF Accuracy (Poll and Discussion)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

GAME GOLF Stats  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How thoroughly do you edit your GAME GOLF rounds?

• I do not own a GAME GOLF.
    • I do not edit my rounds at all.
    • I edit enough to make sure the score is accurate.
    • I correct any glaring mistakes.
    • I flip through each hole and make a few adjustments here and there.
    • I edit each hole to make sure everything is as accurate as possible.

7 minutes ago, rfeight said:

So far I've had to edit each round pretty thoroughly after the round. I'm currently using the app with the tags and I haven't been able to get it to work successfully. I've been trying for 3 rounds now and it's a little cumbersome. My phone goes black or opens the Google Search function, or I have to unlock my phone and open the running Game Golf App to tag my club. It's driving me a little crazy and I"m about to buy the belt unit. Has anyone got the app to work? Let me know if I should post in a different forum. 

I do have another question, how does one account for pitch and runs with the 8 iron that only goes 5 yards versus your regular distance? Is there a better way to show these shots? Also, do I need to set my phone to always on in order to avoid it locking? Thanks in advance. 

Download the latest version of Game Golf from the App store for iphone.

You can put your phone into sleep mode you just need to wait for the GPS signal to settle if you are using the phone GPS.

Game golf supposedly filters out these uses for the clubs, and does not include the 5 yard distance into the median distance for that club.

I've taken on a different tack. I just avoid using clubs like an 8i for bump and run. I've learned to use the wedges a lot more. I'll basically just use a 60 or 56 for those distances and pop them up a little bit with an open face to get more spin. If it's a simple bump and run from the fringe I use a putter.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I've taken on a different tack. I just avoid using clubs like an 8i for bump and run. I've learned to use the wedges a lot more. I'll basically just use a 60 or 56 for those distances and pop them up a little bit with an open face to get more spin. If it's a simple bump and run from the fringe I use a putter.

Please tell us you did that for scoring and not because of the Game Golf club yardages! :-D

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Please tell us you did that for scoring and not because of the Game Golf club yardages! :-D

Seriously.

That would be a really dumb idea if you did it because you didn't trust GG to do what they say very clearly they do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Face it!

Game Golf is a great idea, but due to the current limitations of GPS and GG's lack of top notch software writers the system is mediocre at best.

Not spending my $$$ to hope that in the future this can do what I can do now with a pencil and a calculator!

YMMV :-\

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

Game Golf is a great idea, but due to the current limitations of GPS and GG's lack of top notch software writers the system is mediocre at best.

Not spending my $$$ to hope that in the future this can do what I can do now with a pencil and a calculator!

The accuracy is fine. And far better than a pencil and paper. Good luck keeping track of everything GG does with a pencil and paper in even 5x the time.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would say GG is accurate most of the time. It seems as though some of my drives are off but I have no way of proving it. I do get intermittent incorrect iron distances, like with a shot today that I lasered at 176 and measured out at 174, except I was about 10 yards short of the hole. I guess it sort of doesn't matter in some ways but I do wish it was more consistent.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I would say GG is accurate most of the time. It seems as though some of my drives are off but I have no way of proving it. I do get intermittent incorrect iron distances, like with a shot today that I lasered at 176 and measured out at 174, except I was about 10 yards short of the hole. I guess it sort of doesn't matter in some ways but I do wish it was more consistent.

It takes a few minutes to make everything really accurate.

It takes less time than, what, writing down all of your distances and building Excel spreadsheets or whatever?

2 hours ago, RandallT said:

:-D

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Seriously.

That would be a really dumb idea if you did it because you didn't trust GG to do what they say very clearly they do.

Of course, and I never had an issue with GG not knowing that I am chipping. :-)

So, I found that the old method I used "bump and run" with "method of 12" only really worked well on slower greens, Not discounting that my skill level is simply not good enough to bump and run everything. Once I started playing really nice and weirdly elevated greens I started learning to flop my shots. My bread and butter bump and run is with a putter, and chips are usually a lob shot. If there's a tight landing high up and possibly over a hazard, then I attempt to flop.

These were the big changes I made in the last few months on my short game. Seems to be paying off, but only time will tell.

If I find myself in deep rough slightly downhill from the green to a nice pin placement, I'll fall back to bump and run with a 52 or something.

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

When it comes down to it, the distance accuracy issue isn't a big deal to me. During my last round, I took a tee shot with a 7 iron that I assumed traveled around 150 yards (ended up being 159). It was a slightly elevated tee to a dog leg with fairway bunkers at the back. My only concern was getting a shot far enough to give me a clear shot to the green while staying short of the bunkers. So, mission accomplished.

Now here's why the distance accuracy doesn't seem that important. I had something like 130 yards left to the center of an elevated green. Since my lie was not very good, the green was elevated, and there was plenty of room behind the green, I decided to use the 7 iron again - even though I had just hit it 150 + yards on the previous shot. I ended up sticking it on the front of the green. 

My point is that there are so many variables between each shot that looking for GameGolf to be exact or perfect seems unrealistic and unnecessary. Maybe that level of precision would be much more important if I were skilled, but I doubt it.

Yes, the distance feature is certainly valuable. It shows trends and gives me faster, more accurate data than the alternatives. I just don't consider it to be the most important feature, nor is it a deal-breaker because it's less than perfect.

Jon

4 hours ago, iacas said:

It takes a few minutes to make everything really accurate.

It takes less time than, what, writing down all of your distances and building Excel spreadsheets or whatever?

What do mean really accurate? How do I take a shot that shows a correct landing position but a known different yardage without changing the stat in some way? Either I have a right location and wrong length or wrong location and right length. In this case, my course had the front nine closed so we played the back nine twice. I didn't shut down the unit unfortunately and had overlapping 9's. Changing flag position would affect the second time played. Is there something I am not thinking of?

It is much more convenient and comprehensive than if I had to write everything down and enter each shot in individually, yes.

• Administrator

I'll respond tomorrow if others haven't by then @Valleygolfer. Two quick bits:

• The paper and Excel comments were for the other poster who likely never owned or used a GG.
  • More accurate by positioning the shots where they actually occurred. Plus, elevation isn't a "distance" factor like it is with even a laser (hypotenuse of a triangle is longer).

5 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

What do mean really accurate? How do I take a shot that shows a correct landing position but a known different yardage without changing the stat in some way? Either I have a right location and wrong length or wrong location and right length. In this case, my course had the front nine closed so we played the back nine twice. I didn't shut down the unit unfortunately and had overlapping 9's. Changing flag position would affect the second time played. Is there something I am not thinking of?

It is much more convenient and comprehensive than if I had to write everything down and enter each shot in individually, yes.

I haven't encountered any distance accuracy problems. It's rare I hit to an exact number. If I laser the flag my shot is either short or long of it and the rare times I am exactly hole high it's close within a yard or two. GG is more accurate than the quality of my ball striking. 

Dave :-)

5 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

What do mean really accurate? How do I take a shot that shows a correct landing position but a known different yardage without changing the stat in some way? Either I have a right location and wrong length or wrong location and right length.

Just because a shot plays long or short (wind, slope etc) doesn't change how far the ball has moved forward. 
GG to me sorts these anomalies very competently and over time my clubs all show what I would play them on the course. Occasionally I will have a tag out by 5-10 yards and I believe that you need to spend 5 mins with GG after a round to tidy it up, but this is well worth it for the data it gives back. If you aren't a stats man or don't want to bother with this, then I suggest its not the product for you.

Hi, My name is Matt.

11 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Are you complaining about how accurate is Game Golf when compared to a laser? If so, I agree, GG is impressively accurate as you can see in the 2 yard difference at 175 yards away.

I've only had one case where my drives were off by 10-15 yards, and in the end I was too lazy to fix it in the round. However, the large number of drives I have recorded pretty much masked any error. My actual distance spread is so wide, I'm not going to worry about 10-15 yards from a single drive.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/lihu/insights/off-the-tee/share/0f0dc44848

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I've found that the distance I'm given by the GG app tends to be more accurate that what they have marked on the course. One hole in particular when I was playing with a couple last weekend had 160 painted on the path next to the tee for the par 3 18. My GG app showed it was actually 177. I gave them that information, and the guy pulled the club he uses for that distance and hit the green easily, I pulled the club for that distance but caught it just a tad thin and landed on the fringe just short of the green. The only thing I wish was better is the flag marking. I really want to be able to tap a button that marks the flag instead of having to go back in later and move it for every hole. Lazy, I know, but still would love that feature. Seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to program. Would work just like marking a club except it marked it as the flag.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

Are you complaining about how accurate is Game Golf when compared to a laser? If so, I agree, GG is impressively accurate as you can see in the 2 yard difference at 175 yards away.

I've only had one case where my drives were off by 10-15 yards, and in the end I was too lazy to fix it in the round. However, the large number of drives I have recorded pretty much masked any error. My actual distance spread is so wide, I'm not going to worry about 10-15 yards from a single drive.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/lihu/insights/off-the-tee/share/0f0dc44848

Maybe it wasn't worded clearly.  The shot was recorded at 174 by game golf, the flag was lasered at 176. The balls actual location was 10-12 yards short of the flag stick. I am not saying that it is a frequent occurrence, I really don't know how often this happens because I don't always remember the yardage. In this case I did because it was a very good ball strike and I made a mental note of the distance and wondered why that club was short of the mark.

Here is an example:

cropped tee spots.png

As you can see I played two rounds on the same course on the same day. The teeing areas were the same for each round. The 17th hole shows a mark off the tee box. 12 and 14 are also off the mark.

measured tee.png

I added another shot, just for this example to measure the difference. This shows an 11 yard difference plus the tees were actually more towards the middle of the box. No I did not mark off the box either. Yes the accuracy is in question. It is not the biggest of deals but in the the spirit of a driving challenges, this leaves quite a bit of discrepancy. So I say it is mostly accurate?

Edited by Valleygolfer

6 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Maybe it wasn't worded clearly.  The shot was recorded at 174 by game golf, the flag was lasered at 176. The balls actual location was 10-12 yards short of the flag stick. I am not saying that it is a frequent occurrence, I really don't know how often this happens because I don't always remember the yardage. In this case I did because it was a very good ball strike and I made a mental note of the distance and wondered why that club was short of the mark.

Here is an example:

cropped tee spots.png

As you can see I played two rounds on the same course on the same day. The teeing areas were the same for each round. The 17th hole shows a mark off the tee box. 12 and 14 are also off the mark.

measured tee.png

I added another shot, just for this example to measure the difference. This shows n 11 yard difference plus the tees were actually more towards the middle of the box. No I did mark off the box either. Yes the accuracy is in question. It is not the biggest of deals but in the the spirit of a driving challenges, this leaves quite a bit of discrepancy. So I say it is mostly accurate?

If I understand this correctly you are stating what looks like a roughly 2 yard difference in where the system thinks you teed off? The 11 yards on 17 is pretty funny, but at least the measured distance does not look like it would be affected that much.

I looked at the GG driving challenges and most looked like average drive, so one or two rogue drives should eventually even out.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

41 minutes ago, Lihu said:

If I understand this correctly you are stating what looks like a roughly 2 yard difference in where the system thinks you teed off? The 11 yards on 17 is pretty funny, but at least the measured distance does not look like it would be affected that much.

I looked at the GG driving challenges and most looked like average drive, so one or two rogue drives should eventually even out.

No you do not understand this correctly.

Note: This thread is 2877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!