IGNORED

PGA Tour Players Not Marking Balls when In Position to Assist Another Player, #Backstopping

CCC

1 hour ago, brocks said:

I'm an old person, and have watched golf since the 50's, but I was recently out of the country for a couple of years and watched very little during that time.Β  When I came back last year, I saw some players not mark their ball, and I wondered what the heck was going on --- were they on the clock?Β  When I heard a commentator talk about backstopping, I literally couldn't believe it --- how on earth is that not a penalty? Β 

I still can't believe that players are not getting penalized for it.Β  You get penalized for giving advice, or indicating a line, and IMO backstopping is much worse.Β 

All I'm saying is I've watched long time and never heard about them saying anything about it until past year or so.They can call me ignorant all they want but don't get on me cause I've never heard them mention before.

3 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

All I'm saying is I've watched long time and never heard about them saying anything about it until past year or so.They can call me ignorant all they want but don't get on me cause I've never heard them mention before.

I'll point it out again........It has only been happening for a short time.Β 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

All I'm saying is I've watο»Ώched long time and never heard about them saying anything about it until past year or so.They can call me ignorant all they want but don't get on me cause I've never heard them mention before.ο»Ώ

Then you're ignorant, sure. It's been inΒ the Rules of Golf for a long time. Players of all levels have been able to know and abuse or follow this rule from the get-go. Players in Ryder Cups have been marking their balls when they're in a position to assist another player for decades. Ditto players marking their ball in city championships, local club championships, or even high school matches.

Heck, when I played in a high school match it was against one other player on the other team, but we played with a teammate having a match against another player.

You damn well bet that if my teammate's opponent hit his ball to a position where it could assist my opponent's play, I had him mark his ball.

Because that's been a rule for a long time now, and so people have been trying to take advantage of it for a long time now.

On the PGA Tour? It's relatively recent. But I've KNOWN and followed theΒ Rule for decades.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

From another site:

New comment fromΒ Charles Murphy:

Re: Backstopping. About 40+ years ago I was playing in a State Am with George Burns, a highly rated amateur who then went on to a professional career. On a par 5, he and I were near each other maybe 20 yards short of the green. I pitched up and my ball ended up behind the hole. I waited for George to hit his pitch and he called over and asked me to mark my ball. After the hole, as we were walking to the next tee, he told me "We all have to protect the field. No one else would have the benefit of that ball behind the hole." He didn't use the term "backstop", but I remember it well and use his advice to this day.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Β 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

• 4 weeks later...

PGA Championship, 3rd round. Β Koepka in the bunker. Β Kisner's ball is on the green.

Β 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: SilencerΒ bag (on the :clicgear:Β cart)
Driver: :callaway:Β Razr Fit 10.5Β° Β 
5 Wood: :tmade:Β Burner Β 
Hybrid: :cobra:Β Baffler DWSΒ 20Β°
Irons: :ping:Β G400Β 
Wedge:Β :ping:Β Glide 2.0Β 54Β° ES grindΒ 
Putter: :heavyputter:Β  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,Β Β :bushnell:Β Tour V4

Jeez, and they're both in the hunt for a major. What is Kisner thinking?

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

PGA Championship, 3rd round. Β Koepka in the bunker. Β Kisner's ball is on the green.

Β 

Oh my. 😞

Disgusting. Just terrible sportsmanship.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

1 hour ago, Missouri Swede said:

Β 

Wow.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Β 

• 2 months later...

Jeez, that's dumb. Could have easily cost himself a win by leaving his ball there. Although, it would be poetic justice to lose a tournament because you left your ball around the hole.

-- Daniel

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Jeez, that's dumb. Could have easily cost himself a win by leaving his ball there. Although, it would be poetic justice to lose a tournament because you left your ball around the hole.

Could have cost someone else a victory, too. Several other players were still in it on the ninth.

It's not like he backstopped on the 18th when everything else was decided (not that it would be any less dumb or egregious).

• 1 month later...

Also happening on the LPGA:

The full videos doesn't show it, but I'm wondering if Olson gave a sign or something to Jutanugarn not to mark here. Jutanugarn goes to start marking her ball, it looks like, and she looks over at Olson, motioning something,Β and immediately stops. This seems awfully close to the line, if not over it.

LPGA apparently deleted a tweet about this, too:

Yikes.

-- Daniel

58 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Also happening on the LPGA:

The full videos doesn't show it, but I'm wondering if Olson gave a sign or something to Jutanugarn not to mark here. Jutanugarn goes to start marking her ball, it looks like, and she looks over at Olson, motioning something,Β and immediately stops. This seems awfully close to the line, if not over it.

Yikes.

If my memory serves me right, the previous rules penalized both players if they agreed to leave the ball in place when it had the potential to help, without reference to WHY they made that decision.Β  The current rules specifically say:

If two or more players agree to leave a ball in place to help any player,

In my mind, this small change makes it a bit easier to avoid penalty.Β  In this case, it is apparent that the players agreed to leave the first ball in place.Β  I'm sure the players will say they left the ball in place for pace of play, never thinking that it could actually help.Β  I prefer the old rule.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If my memory serves me right, the previous rules penalized both players if they agreed to leave the ball in place when it had the potential to help, without reference to WHY they made that decision.Β  The current rules specifically say:

In my mind, this small change makes it a bit easier to avoid penalty.Β  In this case, it is apparent that the players agreed to leave the first ball in place.Β  I'm sure the players will say they left the ball in place for pace of play, never thinking that it could actually help.Β  I prefer the old rule.

I don't think that's a significant difference from the old rule, which was:

22-1. Ball Assisting PlayΒ 

Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that a ball might assist any other player, he may:Β 

a.

Lift the ball if it is his ball; orΒ 

b.

Have any other ball lifted.Β 

A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see RuleΒ 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned, unless it lies on theΒ putting greenΒ (see RuleΒ 21).Β 

In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.Β 

In stroke play, if theΒ CommitteeΒ determines thatΒ competitorsΒ have agreed not to lift a ball that might assist anyΒ competitor,Β they are disqualified.Β 

Note:Β When another ball is in motion, a ball that might influence the movement of the ball in motion must not be lifted.

I think the "agreement" piece is bigger issue here.

In fact, the new rules are softer, in that it's not an automatic DQ for doing this. If anything, that should make rules officials less hesitant to enforce the rule.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel