IGNORED

Are you a Better Golfer than a Year Ago?

Improvement in Your Golf Game  

610 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a better golfer than you were one year ago? Are your scores and/or handicap index lower?

2. 2. One year from now, do you think you will be a better golfer (lower scores and/or handicap index) than you are now?

6 minutes ago, Themightyoz said:

Well it's been quite a year.  I am not improving as quickly as I would like, but in the last four years my average score has dropped from 126 to 105.  It's a slow process.  I feel my control of the ball has gotten a lot better and I feel hat I can take more risks.  I can cut corners on dog legs and am starting to be able to shape the ball left and right on command.  I think if I can get my short game under control I am on th edge of regularly hitting in the mid nineties to high eighties.

Great job on the steady progress! Keep it up and enjoy the process as much as the outdoors and social part of the game.  That's advice for myself also. I too, have goals to get better, mainly drive the ball with more control.  I am also working on an attitude that recognizes that REALITY is different from the IDEAL shot I envision each time, and I must accept that I cannot control everything.  With repetition and practice though I do see an improvement in shot making. Improvement is possible, but perfection? I don't think so.

I would've been about a 3-ish this time last year, but am only a 2.8 right now, so handicap wise I'm about the same. I did have a very hot stretch of about 7 weeks from late July to early September this year where my ball striking and driving levels went way above anything I had seen before. I was probably playing to about a scratch level for that period, despite losing over 3 strokes per round (compared to a pro) due to my putting. Hoping to knock those easy putting strokes off, get that great ball striking back from a few weeks ago and watch my scores drop like rocks.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, hunterw297 said:

I would've been about a 3-ish this time last year, but am only a 2.8 right now, so handicap wise I'm about the same. I did have a very hot stretch of about 7 weeks from late July to early September this year where my ball striking and driving levels went way above anything I had seen before. I was probably playing to about a scratch level for that period, despite losing over 3 strokes per round (compared to a pro) due to my putting. Hoping to knock those easy putting strokes off, get that great ball striking back from a few weeks ago and watch my scores drop like rocks.

I find it astonishing how anyone can shoot close to scratch, especially, kid golfers.  My son plays in the 9 year old division of U.S. Kids and he shoots in the high 40s, There are kids shooting 35s and 36s.  At this age, I focus on keeping it fun and spirited and don't force a certain score on him--maybe twice that I really wanted him to shoot a low score.  In a good round of golf for me I typically do well to have a good pre shot routine off the tee.  Around the fringe, I assess the lie before I chip because I've been known to get caught up in the high grass.

1 hour ago, hunterw297 said:

Oh Wise One, I hope to one day know what it's like to shoot near scratch.  I'd like to hear more; did you pick up golf one day and realized that you shot in the 80s and 90s without formal training, and then shot scratch after spending a few years to train?  What was your journey like to progress to 2.8?

I'm better than a year ago.  I haven't played much this year though--2 rounds (85 and then 83).  My ballstriking has improved a lot.  I'm hitting a lot of greens and my shot shape is more neutral to a straight draw relative to where I aim (to the right just a tad).  Most of it is attributable to spending a few minutes when I can hitting balls on the simulator at home and mostly concentrating on my ball speed and start line.  When those two things are consistent, I feel great about my game because I don't curve it too much.  The 85 and 83 were higher than I hoped for though; I had too many "three from the tee's" and drops from penalty areas.  I tried to go with the pull fade with driver but it just won't work on the course.  Works great on the range but on course, I generally just pull it or pull draw it.  So I've decided to hit the ball straight or with the little draw like my other clubs.  So far on things look good at home on the simulator.  We will see if that transfers to the course.  Around the green has been decent, nothing special.  I mostly use the pitching technique (bounce and minimal shaft lean) as opposed to the chipping technique (leading edge and shaft lean).  I generally use my 48, 54, or 60 and practice by hitting balls on a mat or around the yard into a bucket to try to retain a bit of feel.  As to putting, I putt pretty good at home (we all do), but I'm referring specifically to speed and bead.  I'm pretty good at that at home, but on course, I tend to push putts a little and I tend to respect break too much; speed is good on course though.  I'm working constantly on start line with my putter and feeling the ball come off the face at 0* as much as possible.  It takes me some time to get the feel going but once it's on, I putt well, assuming I read it correctly.  In fact, I finished birdie-birdie making a mid-range putt on 17 and a long, lucky, bomb on 18 from the back of the green after taking a drop from a penalty area (bad driver again, but I did hit the ball on the par 5 green in regulation from 220).

46 minutes ago, greatgolfahead said:

Oh Wise One, I hope to one day know what it's like to shoot near scratch.  I'd like to hear more; did you pick up golf one day and realized that you shot in the 80s and 90s without formal training, and then shot scratch after spending a few years to train?  What was your journey like to progress to 2.8?

I've been playing since I was about 5 years old. Didn't break 100 until I was about 11 or 12 and 90 till about 13 or 14, and from there I've slowly gotten better and better in spurts to where I am now at 22. I can't afford a coach so all of my improvents have come from just grinding it out on the course. I don't focus on mechanical stuff at all, or even practice on the range much. My swing has plenty of flaws I'm sure, but when I've tried tweaking stuff in the past without the help of a coach I've screwed up my game for weeks or even months before I got the natural feel back.

Edited by hunterw297

16 minutes ago, hunterw297 said:

I've been playing since I was about 5 years old. Didn't break 100 until I was about 11 or 12 and 90 till about 13 or 14, and from there I've slowly gotten better and better in spurts to where I am now at 22. I can't afford a coach so all of my improvents have come from just grinding it out on the course. I don't focus on mechanical stuff at all, or even practice on the range much. My swing has plenty of flaws I'm sure, but when I've tried tweaking stuff in the past without the help of a coach I've screwed up my game for weeks or even months before I got the natural feel back.

Thanks for sharing, so if you played on average once a week from the age of 5 to 14 then, as an adult, I should be able to improve on a progressive rate given that I have a car to get to the course, money to expend, developed muscles, and the ability to play more often because I don't have homework to complete. In reflecting on last week's 9 hole score, I can see that I've become competent at ball striking compared to months ago.  I was at +3 after 4 holes and then my ego got in the way chose a risky tee shot over just getting it in play. I had two blow holes because I tried something new.  I understand course management concepts, but applying it consistently still needs work.   

Edited by greatgolfahead

35 minutes ago, hunterw297 said:

Did you play other sports pre-20?  And golf too?

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Did you play other sports pre-20?  And golf too?

I played tee ball when I was really little, like five or six, but other than that it's just been golf.

4 minutes ago, hunterw297 said:

I played tee ball when I was really little, like five or six, but other than that it's just been golf.

Tee ball doesn't count.  😀  So you are an outlier to my theory (duly noted) that if you play multiple sports in your kid-hood you will be a better golfer as an adult.  By adulthood you're achieved the hand/eye coordination thing and you've got part of the touch/feel/timing/sports strength equation down.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Tee ball doesn't count.  😀  So you are an outlier to my theory (duly noted) that if you play multiple sports in your kid-hood you will be a better golfer as an adult.  By adulthood you're achieved the hand/eye coordination thing and you've got part of the touch/feel/timing/sports strength equation down.

I've read in child development books that the middle school age is a good time to put kids into sports because their motor skills are more developed. With that understanding, I don't pressure my son into becoming Tiger Woods at 9.  

5 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

My scores won't reflect it I think so.  Full swing is better overall, just when I miss, I miss really badly. 

Speaking of missing, I missed the green on the left side yesterday, and it made me think how sticking to a fade shot is better than pushing it way out to the right as a right-handed golfer.  I've tried to draw the ball before only to push out to the right towards OB. With that said, a fade certainly has it's advantages for more of the course for a right-handed golfer.  My fade also  also lands softer compared to my draw, but could different for other golfers with different angles of impact.

29 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

... so by the time you're 90 you won't be shooting your age?  Well, there's always 100.

I am already shooting myage for 9 holes

23 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Handsome devil like you?  I don't believe it! 😛

Yeah. It's tough being the drummer in a classic rock band. I'm always dodging crazy women stalkers.

club hit GIF

• Like 1

- Shane