IGNORED

Your Course's Handicap Committee

iacas
Note: This thread is 2893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Handicap Committee  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know much about your course's handicap committee?

• I am on the handicap committee!
    • I know the members of the committee.
    • I know the chairman.
    • I think I know a little about the committee? Maybe?
    • I know nothing about the committee.

• Administrator

Describe your course's handicap committee. Who are the members? Who is the chairman? Do they meet? Have you ever interacted with them?

If you don't know, say that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know anything about Beavercreek's handicap committee. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm the handicap committee chairman.  On the committee, we have the head pro, a scratch player who runs our low-handicap interclub team, a 12-handicap who runs our handicap interclub team, the head of the tournament committee, and my wife, who helps represent for the women.  We meet occasionally, but coordinate through email and one-on-one communications regularly.

And I thank @iacas for starting this thread, I'll be very interested to read the results.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'd be surprised if any of the courses in my area outside of maybe the private club. I'm assuming that this is something that typically is only part of private/semi-private courses?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

5 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I'd be surprised if any of the courses in my area outside of maybe the private club. I'm assuming that this is something that typically is only part of private/semi-private courses?

The Handicap Manual requires that each club, private, public, or internet based, have a Handicap Committee.  I think you're probably right, that proper Committees are common only at private clubs, and as @kpaulhus mentioned in a different thread, some private clubs don't have an organized Committee.  I'd be interested in hearing whether the folks who respond keep their USGA handicap through a private club, public facility, or an internet-based club. 

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Im no longer a member of a club that has a handicap committee.  But when i was, i think the handicap committee was made up of from some of the pro staff and some of the voting members. Im not sure what the the pros on the committee really did besides settle disputes between members in the pro shop and apply rulings during club competitions. The club members on the committee tended to annoy everyone with emails about esoteric golf rulings that had nothing do with anything.. I cant remember them actually doing anything as a group that affected a player. But I've had some confrontational run ins with a handicap committee at this other club which i wasn't a member. Even the members at this club wanted to firebomb that group of tools. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The Handicap Manual requires that each club, private, public, or internet based, have a Handicap Committee.  I think you're probably right, that proper Committees are common only at private clubs, and as @kpaulhus mentioned in a different thread, some private clubs don't have an organized Committee.  I'd be interested in hearing whether the folks who respond keep their USGA handicap through a private club, public facility, or an internet-based club. 

I use internet based via Myscorecard.com, it's the only way I found of having an official handicap where I live.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

7 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I use internet based via Myscorecard.com, it's the only way I found of having an official handicap where I live.

So did you have to "join" a semi-locally based club?  I read on their website that they have clubs through most of the country, and being a member of a USGA licensed club is a requirement towards having an official handicap.  The USGA does license internet-based clubs to administer handicaps.

Dave

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

So did you have to "join" a semi-locally based club?  I read on their website that they have clubs through most of the country, and being a member of a USGA licensed club is a requirement towards having an official handicap.  The USGA does license internet-based clubs to administer handicaps.

There was a list of clubs I could join one which was registered in the same city as me the information is as follows:

Club ID: MDJGGolf   Club Location: LIMA, OH
Admin Name: Mark Flarida   Handicap Chair: Jeff Bailey
Club Type: Open to All   # of Members: 56
Club Status: Licensed by the USGA

Association: The Ohio Golf Association   Active Season: 03/15 - 10/31

Club liicensing.jpg

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I originally asked if I could attend a handicap committee meeting.  Subsequently I was asked to join and did so. Our committee has a Chairman and there are 4-5 additional members.  I am the only non-officer on the committee. The meetings are not frequent but I discuss things with the Chairman via phone or email on a regular basis.

Our "club" is a club-without-real-estate.  About 200 members.  We hold 15-17 tournaments for senior golfers (50+) located in SE Michigan.  We are compliant with all USGA requirements, especially the "peer review" element that I believe most internet-based handicap "clubs" lack.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

I belong to  small club. The pro (a woman) wants to take charge of everything, so she is every committee. Like most women she feels insecure if she hasn't got full control of everything. The more any member wants anything to happen, the more she will do to make sure it doesn't happen. She moans about my handicap being to high, and although she is the only person who can do anything about it, she won't.

Typical bloody woman 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

3 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

I belong to  small club. The pro (a woman) wants to take charge of everything, so she is every committee. Like most women she feels insecure if she hasn't got full control of everything. The more any member wants anything to happen, the more she will do to make sure it doesn't happen. She moans about my handicap being to high, and although she is the only person who can do anything about it, she won't.

Typical bloody woman 

... Woah, hopefully you are being a bit tongue in cheek with how you are attributing the behavior to it being a woman...

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

3 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

... Woah, hopefully you are being a bit tongue in cheek with how you are attributing the behavior to it being a woman...

No, I am from the UK, and MOST men don't really care about political correctness. That's to say, we say it as it is, and not what society dictates what we should think. 

• Upvote 1

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

100+ members and 3 committee members.  They work closely with the course pro.   Very few rules were enforced but they started making noise about sandbaggers - like recording tournament scores by the committee instead of relying on honor system.  A few sandbaggers either quit or stopped entering tournaments.  Some are still there but over time, I hope the committee finds a way to keep them honest.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

2 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

No, I am from the UK, and MOST men don't really care about political correctness. That's to say, we say it as it is, and not what society dictates what we should think. 

It's not necessarily about PC, because I don't really care for being overly PC, but the type of attitude you mentioned is the same for anyone who doesn't like to share authority. I've seen it just as much in men as women.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

It's not necessarily about PC, because I don't really care for being overly PC, but the type of attitude you mentioned is the same for anyone who doesn't like to share authority. I've seen it just as much in men as women.

It's also off topic.

This is more about the USGA, too, and not however handicap committees work in the UK or elsewhere.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, iacas said:

It's also off topic.

This is more about the USGA, too, and not however handicap committees work in the UK or elsewhere.

I merely responded to a quote. Anyway, it's my belief that a good committee should respond to a members request, if that request doesn't offer an advantage. For example. I have been playing about 3 shots below my handicap for a good while, albeit I don't play many comps. My playing companions insist I play off of a lower handicap in practice, otherwise they don't want to play with me. It appears pointless that have an official handicap that doesn't represent my standard of play, and my pro (also handicap committee)  refuses to change it. The irony is that she refers to me as a bandit, but she is the only person who can do something about it. 

shultz.jpg

I have not inquired anything about them. I just signed up for my GHIN card at one of my favorite courses so I could post scores.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!