IGNORED

2016 British Open at Royal Troon Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 2846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm very excited to watch this tourney. I have yet to play a true links course so this is always fun for me to watch. I'd like to see Day win this one. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like scoring could be very low this week. Golfers saying greens are very soft. Of course if the wind blows, that could change things, but from the sounds of it it's not gonna blow too much. Sounds like the kind of conditions Rory McIlroy likes. A lot like 2014. 

Daly w/the pants and cigarette.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Need a couple of "off the radar" European Tour players that are going to make the cut and compete.

Any help?  TIA

My initial thoughts are Karlberg and Pieters

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

22 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Need a couple of "off the radar" European Tour players that are going to make the cut and compete.

Any help?  TIA

Not sure they're off the radar, but Knox, Sullivan and Kaymer are good sleeper picks this week.

Really pumped for this this week, I think more than most Opens. Lots of a great story lines that could come about. DJ make it 2 majors this year and truly solidify himself above the other big 3. Day make it 2 to steal DJ's thunder? Both have had some decent records in the UK. Can Rory get hot with the putter and retake his crown if you will? What about Jordan? Can he complete what he just missed out on last year? That might make it a big 2 with him and Rory. Adam Scott has possibly the best track record at the Open more than anyone. Can he get his 2nd major and make it a big 5, or at least steal the younger guys' thunder? Hell, even Sergio people are talking about.

Really like the chances this week for the big names, as usual I guess. I just feel pretty much anyway it ends up, it should be a great story. The intriguing piece to me is Rory. Troon is possibly going to play easy Thurs/Fri. When Rory gets off to a hot start on a softer course, he has run away with tournaments. Conditions might set up for him to have a chance to do that and that putt might not even need to become any issue. Who knows?

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

1 hour ago, BallStriker said:

Any help?  TIA

Yep, I just need 4 players to make the cut. Nationality does not matter. If all 4 of my players make the the cut. I'm guaranteed $150. Talk to me, who are your  4  guarenteed to make the cut?

36 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

Yep, I just need 4 players to make the cut. Nationality does not matter. If all 4 of my players make the the cut. I'm guaranteed $150. Talk to me, who are your  4  guarenteed to make the cut?

4 to make the cut.....

Jordan Speith

Henrik Stenson

Dustin Johnson

Jason Day

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Eyes wide shut. 

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

5 hours ago, BallStriker said:

4 to make the cut.....

Jordan Speith

Henrik Stenson

Dustin Johnson

Jason Day

Spieth's the biggest risk there, surely?

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Based on what I'm hearing, it wouldn't surprise me if a 62 gets a scare this week. Sounds pretty soft....forecast sounds pretty nice. Ripe for very good scoring this week. Good for a guy like McIlroy who feeds off those conditions.

Edited by ChrisP

46 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Based on what I'm hearing, it wouldn't surprise me if a 62 gets a scare this week. Sounds pretty soft....forecast sounds pretty nice. Ripe for very good scoring this week. Good for a guy like McIlroy who feeds off those conditions.

Assuming this weekend is a good putting weekend rather than one of the others...

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

10 minutes ago, b101 said:

Assuming this weekend is a good putting weekend rather than one of the others...

Well greens at Troon aren't tricky. Heard Jordan talking about how it's a huge contrast from Oakmont in that you get a lot of straight putts out there. I think players are going to beat up the first 6 holes on this golf course. You're gonna see some guys get 6-under through 6. I think Norman did that in '89. After that it gets a bit trickier.

On 11/07/2016 at 8:03 PM, b101 said:

Have to say, Sky are going all out to impress with their coverage. Really liking the interviews, swing thoughts and insights they're getting from different players on the range. For those who haven't got access, they've just had Claude Harmon take Finau and Lowry into their Protracer range booth with driver and 6 iron respectively talking them through how they'd hit low, high, fade, draw etc and then going ahead and doing it. Loads of crowd participation as well and generally just really cool. Miles better than the BBC coverage and whilst I get the frustration for many that it's no longer free-to-air coverage, it's light years ahead of the BBC stuff that hadn't changed in 20 years and it's clear which organisation actually values the sport.

Same again today and really noticed with Jason Day that Claude Harmon is really good at this part - some great questions and very natural with the players. So much better than the coverage we're used to.

A touch off topic, but is there a reason we are not having a contest for The Open?  

It took Rory 6 attempts to get out of the bunker at the "postage stamp" hole during a practice round. :-D

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/rory-mcilroy-cant-escape-postage-stamp-bunker?cid=pgacomsocial_fb_sf30853706

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So I'm going to be on the road the next few days. Will The Open be streaming live on the NBC "Golf Live Extra" App? That's where all the Golf Channel shows stream live.

Edited by ChrisP

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

Well greens at Troon aren't tricky. Heard Jordan talking about how it's a huge contrast from Oakmont in that you get a lot of straight putts out there. I think players are going to beat up the first 6 holes on this golf course. You're gonna see some guys get 6-under through 6. I think Norman did that in '89. After that it gets a bit trickier.

I haven't read much yet this year (and bad on me, I don't tend to remember details of each course in the rota), but I caught David Duval saying that he expects the long hitters to have multiple eagle putts in the first 7 holes at Troon. Is that right? Multiple eagle putts in the first 7??? Maybe I misheard what he said.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2846 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!