IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2016

Note: This thread is 2825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

45 minutes at range. 10 minutes on the new takeaway piece from instructor. Reviewed video. Then hit rest of bucket trying to get A6 club head inside hands, with video review on about 1/3 of those. Shots were deliberately going about 75yds. No full swing hits. Video review was better than yesterday. I definitely feel like swing is getting more rotational, rather than vertical. Could just be a feel, but my mind is thinking of the swing differently than it has in the past.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7/6/16:

Worked on setup with a 7i today. Focused on standing close enough to the ball, so the butt of the shaft points in between my navel and belt. I did the same thing yesterday but I'm trying to get comfortable with the feeling... It was something @iacas noticed in my swing video back a couple of months ago... I just hadn't taken the time to fix it.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

60 minutes at range. 30 minutes diligent focus on backswing improvements (starting to take shape) and stopping backswing before getting too long (still iffy on fuller swings). 30 minutes just swinging smoothly with various clubs to get ready to play tomorrow morning. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

(edited)

7/05: I know I'm not supposed to back post, but hopefully I will be forgiven just this once. Yesterday, spent with 20 mins chipping balls into a trashcan in my back yard at varying distances just working on length of backswing and resultant carrying distances.

7/06: Played today. made really good progress with course management and my decisions. Still, 3 bad swings hurt my score putting me 9 over on 3 holes, then finishing the round 9 over on the remaining 15 holes for a 90. Over all pleased with irons/approaches today as I've really been focussed on slight draw ball flight and they did well. Mentally, I improved as I just focussed on making good swings and letting the score take care of itself...something I haven't done in the past. The more I realize that this is a journey to be a better player, rather than focussing on the day's score, I see progress where I've been stagnant in years past. Thanks for the encouragement, tips, and strategies guys!

Edited by woodzie264
grammer

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I played 9 holes trying to be really aware of my backswing length. I struggled a bit on contact and timing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7/6/2016:

Tried to make it to the range today but got rained out, so it was back to the front yard. Easy practice today, about 20 minutes of slow backswings, stopping to check hip position at the top, if it was good, then an easy full swing shot, rinse and repeat. Then I spent a few minutes practicing my pitching. Working on getting rid of the "hit" feeling, and letting gravity pull the club down.

Edited by roamin

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

It rained even worse this afternoon than yesterday, so I didn't have a chance to hit balls yet again. I spent about 15 minutes checking my grip this evening, getting used to keeping my lower hand in a weaker position in hopes of alleviating the hook that shows up on longer clubs.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

7/07: 15-20 mins spent working on the wrist hinge and follow through with the pitch as demonstrated in Eric & Dave's Quickie Pitch video. Found the wrist hinge a bit of a challenge but will keep working...Rome wasn't built in a day

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Played a par 3 course today with my wife. We're on vacation.  Had 6/9 good tee shots contact wise. Best shot was a 170 5 iron to 6 feet. Focused on one of my feels for a swing thought.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I have time in the afternoon to go to the range! And it's not raining!

I went to the range today, focusing mainly on woods through mid-irons. I found the feeling for making a swing that produces solid contact: flattening the angle of my shoulders at the top of the swing to encourage an inside path, but without getting my hands stuck on the inside as well. I'll have to break down and take a video of myself at some point to see what's really happening in that move, but based on how many long, straight shots I was hitting, it's working.

After I emptied out my range bucket, I spent about 20 minutes chipping in the short game area. I really needed to work on my putting, but at the course where I was practicing, the range is disconnected from the clubhouse, where the putting green is.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

7/7/16:

Worked on setup with a 7i today. Focused on standing close enough to the ball, so the butt of the shaft points in between my navel and belt. I did the same thing yesterday but I'm trying to get comfortable with the feeling... It was something @iacas noticed in my swing video back a couple of months ago... I just hadn't taken the time to fix it.

Basically the same as yesterday except I worked through the bag... Its adjustment.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

15 minutes of swings outside. Looked like an idiot to neighbors I'm sure, but I wanted to also see if I could work on swinging full speed. Mostly did A4 to impact slow motions. Definitely feeling different as I start from a steeper backswing. I think that's starting to feel pretty natural and athletic.

As I speed up and swing out of my shoes, it all breaks down a bit, but I think there's improvement at moderate speeds. Video at the range to submit to instructor tomorrow hopefully.

Didn't get to play a round today, as hoped, due to sick child at home. Bummer.

My Swing

I played 9 holes this afternoon. I focused on trying to make B or better back swings. It cost me some shots with regard to timing, but I need to keep working on this backswing issue. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7/7/2016:

Made it to the range today. Spent about 30 minutes working through clubs, practicing and checking hip turn and right-hip position with each club and then hitting a few balls. Starting with lob wedge to warm up, then 8 iron, 6 iron, 4 iron, 4 hybrid, and back down. Then spent 20-30 minutes practicing pitches off of tight lies from about 20 yards. Having a big problem hitting the ground too early and blading these, starting not to trust it unless I'm in fluffy rough, but I'll get there. Then spent 30 minutes lag putting across the practice green from various positions/breaks (50-80 feet or so).

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

7/8/16:

Worked on A1-A4 today more or less trying to not rush my downswing and finish my backswing.... The ugly push was rearing it's head the first 10-12 balls.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Video session at range today. Chalk the day up to just not feeling it, because I wasn't able to hit A4, let alone A5, A6. Wrist is cupping again and club going well past where it needs to go.  Having difficulty keeping right elbow in front too. Slow motion practice swings weren't too bad. 

After each full swing, I reviewed video for A4-A6 and basically deleted every one as I went to focus again on the proper technique. After about 45 minutes of that, I saved one video each angle. Will probably submit to instructor. Two steps forward, one step back.

My Swing

(edited)

7/08: more of the same as yesterday....working on wrist hinging with pitch backswing, then releasing through. Motion was definitely more fluid today. Interested to see how it goes at the range this weekend. 

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

7/8/2016:

Did the wall drill for a few minutes this morning, focusing on right hip position at top of backswing. Played a round this evening. Best I've played in quite a while. Contact was clean and crisp the entire round. 

Jake

Note: This thread is 2825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!