IGNORED

Dallas Sniper

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 2815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

25 minutes ago, Strandly said:

The impact of what?  The video in that case didn't show anything prior to the guy bleeding out.  Knowing whether or not he was reaching for his gun is a huge piece of mission information.  But the media doesn't care about that, they would rather show the bleeding guy and sit there and free associate about what happened before the video started.  It's garbage journalism; Enquirer-like reporting and sensationalism.

Not when they're misrepresented the way they are.  Again, watching the news you would think any time you interacted with a cop for anything you have a 80% chance of coming away in a body bag.  It's ridiculous.

Right, because it is believable that he would be going for his gun?  A man with a license to carry and a wife and a baby in the car?  So, yeah nothing anyone can say that will convince me that he was going for his gun, or he even thought about it.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

That and the woman streaming the video narrated the story she wanted broadcast, it doesn't represent a factual, comprehensive recording of what actually happened.  

You're right about the media, they are fueling BLM and violence against police officers.  I'd like to see a bi-partisan bill that requires the media to only report facts and to annotate all video and reports that include speculation and editorial comments.  

When I grew up, all news was factual and time was set aside for editorial comments.  Today, every news channel is biased, the news they present in terms of content and presentation is biased to support their owners agendas.  

I see why dictators in other countries clamp down and screw over their media so hard.  I don't think we should try to regulate the media here though since it would defeat what this country is about; I really just wish people would not tune in and force them out of business.

5 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

Right, because it is believable that he would be going for his gun?  A man with a license to carry and a wife and a baby in the car?  So, yeah nothing anyone can say that will convince me that he was going for his gun, or he even thought about it.

Well then you'd make for a bad cop because all someone would have to do to kill you is call your bluff.

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

In the United States more white people are killed by police officers every year than black but the media for some reason doesn't cover those stories, coincidence?

I don't know. Maybe it has more to do with the circumstances surrounding the shooting. How many of the "white dude" shooting victims were just an innocent white dude with a broken tail light? Interesting stat though, source????

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

4 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Gang violence, I assume. 

Look, cops have a tough job, no doubt. And they have every right to do what they need to do to ensure they go home to their families every night after work. But just because someone looks like a gang banger, doesn't mean they are a threat. I guess there needs to be more dialogue and interaction between cultures, especially in the inner cities, so we are all not such foreigners to each other. 

I don't know what the answers are, but pretending there's no problem isn't one of them. 

Again, I agree.

But, if I am going to be in an area where I know cops are looking for "gang bangers", I am going to do my best not to look like one.

Look from the cops standpoint, how can they tell the difference. They let their guard down or assume someone is not a threat, and it can cost them their life.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

4 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Look, cops have a tough job, no doubt. And they have every right to do what they need to do to ensure they go home to their families every night after work. But just because someone looks like a gang banger, doesn't mean they are a threat. I guess there needs to be more dialogue and interaction between cultures, especially in the inner cities, so we are all not such foreigners to each other. 

If a person has a gun ready to shoot a cop there is little a cop can do to stop it. 

So, if someone looks like gang banger, then you know what, it's that person's problem not the cop. Over the decades gang members have gone out of their way to be violent towards cops. I see no issue with cops being prejudicial for the sake of their safety. 

3 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

And you don't think bringing these issues into the public conscious is a good thing?

Sure as long as there is equal proportion of stories on cops doing good stuff. I can tell you right now, the good substantially out weights the bad. Yet it gets no TV time at all. 

Gun violence sells. Viewership pays the bills. No one wants to hear about a cop playing a game of pick up basketball with some young black teens trying to bridge the gap or doing some other good act when it doesn't pay the bills. 

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

In the United States more white people are killed by police officers every year than black but the media for some reason doesn't cover those stories, coincidence?

I would like to see some stats based on race by percent of population in local areas. It would make sense more white people killed because there is 429% more white people than black people in the United States. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I would like to see some stats based on race by percent of population in local areas. It would make sense more white people killed because there is 429% more white people than black people in the United States. 

It doesn't matter what the percentages are, the fact is more white people overall are killed by the police than black people.  Name one white person that was killed by a cop in the last year without googling it, cause I bet you could name at least five black men off the top of your head thanks to the media.  

Joe Paradiso

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

When I grew up, all news was factual and time was set aside for editorial comments.

LOL, wow. Just wow. Talk about delusional. 

Just now, newtogolf said:

It doesn't matter what the percentages are, the fact is more white people overall are killed by the police than black people.  

Sure it matters. It make sense there would be more white people killed, the are substantially more white people in the United States. It also means you can't just say cops are more aggressive towards white people because their are more white people who interact with cops than black people. So you need to compare it all to population density of that ethnicity group and other factors. 

Is the media biased, more willing to show that a cop kills a black person, yea. I agree with that. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Sure it matters. It make sense there would be more white people killed, the are substantially more white people in the United States. It also means you can't just say cops are more aggressive towards white people because their are more white people who interact with cops than black people. So you need to compare it all to population density of that ethnicity group and other factors. 

Is the media biased, more willing to show that a cop kills a black person, yea. I agree with that. 

That's my point.  The media doesn't create a circus when a cop shoots a white person even through in raw numbers, more white people get shot every year by cops than black people.  

As for the numbers, it's not just a matter of how many whites and blacks get killed versus how many live in the country because you also have to factor what percentage of whites commit crimes versus blacks and local demographics, at that point it just becomes a statistical game.  

The media is at the center of the problem, they decide what gets sensationalized, what gets reported and what doesn't.  Obviously they don't believe it's news worthy to report police violence when it's committed against white people or even Hispanics.  

Joe Paradiso

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

If a person has a gun ready to shoot a cop there is little a cop can do to stop it. 

So, if someone looks like gang banger, then you know what, it's that person's problem not the cop. Over the decades gang members have gone out of their way to be violent towards cops. I see no issue with cops being prejudicial for the sake of their safety. 

But what does that even mean? He looks like a "gang-banger". 

Wearing a pro sports jersey while black?

Having corn rows while black?

Wearing a bandana while black?

Driving a nice car while black?

Christ on a rubber raft, we'll argue till the cows come home about the definition of a divot, but we sure as **** can spot a deadly, murderous, gang-banger from a mile away.

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Sure as long as there is equal proportion of stories on cops doing good stguff. I can tell you right now, the good substantially out weights the bad. Yet it gets no TV time at all. 

Gun violence sells. Viewership pays the bills. No one wants to hear about a cop playing a game of pick up basketball with some young black teens trying to bridge the gap or doing some other good act when it doesn't pay the bills. 

Sure, whatever, let's have more stories about good cops and whatnot. I'm all for it, and I believe that the vast majority of police officers are well intentioned. But that doesn't really do anything to address what's going on in the USA with these incidents. Surely you're not denying that there is a problem here? One that needs to be addressed and solved? I dunno how, but it does need to be addressed, no?

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Right. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

17 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

The media is at the center of the problem, they decide what gets sensationalized, what gets reported and what doesn't.  Obviously they don't believe it's news worthy to report police violence when it's committed against white people or even Hispanics.  

No, society is the problem. If you don't give them a story then they don't have anything to publish. That isn't going to happen, but both sides have to start moving forward away from this violence. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

EJ, dude, let's get off the high horse. I'm not saying there is no problem, but it makes sense that a police officer is more "aware" of certain types of people than others. Who is more likely to shoot you: a 79-year old black grandma or a 23-year old white skinhead with neo-Nazi stickers on his car blasting death metal?

Everyone profiles. It's a survival instinct. You constantly assess threat levels. Or attraction levels. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

No, society is the problem. If you don't give them a story then they don't have anything to publish. That isn't going to happen, but both sides have to start moving forward away from this violence. 

I agree, but it's the media that gets everyone fired up and creates the tension between police and minorities (specifically black people).   

In the end everyone has a responsibility to act civil and not hurt one another.  Unfortunately some percentage of society doesn't have self control or the desire to follow the laws society created and that's why we have police officers.  

Joe Paradiso

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

A new study confirms that black men and women are treated differently in the hands of law enforcement. They are more likely to be touched, handcuffed, pushed to the ground or pepper-sprayed by a police officer, even after accounting for how, where and when they encounter the police.

But when it comes to the most lethal form of force — police shootings — the study finds no racial bias.

There are indications that other actions taken by police below don't occur exactly along straight racial population percentages. 

Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 8.36.29 AM.png

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'd be really interested to hear all of your opinions on guns. Here in Ireland pretty much everyone thinks the gun laws are absolutely crazy. Obviously i don't know all of the ins and outs and i can see how the situation has gotten passed the stage where people would be willing to give up the right to carry.

30 minutes ago, RandallT said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/upshot/surprising-new-evidence-shows-bias-in-police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

There are indications that other actions taken by police below don't occur exactly along straight racial population percentages. 

Those numbers could also be the result of how black people respond to police officers versus white, how many were prior criminals, etc.  In the last few years the relationship is very contentious, people seem to almost want to instigate some violence be taken against them by the way they engage the officers.  

Here are the numbers I'd like to see, how many blacks and whites were assaulted by police officers when they treated the officers with respect and followed the directions of the officer.  

In my life, I've been pulled over by some cops that I thought were jerks but I always shut the engine off, placed the keys on the dashboard, kept my  hands on top of the steering wheel, called them sir and complied with their requests to show registration and drivers license without mouthing off to them.  I never had them lay a finger on me and in many cases they stopped being jerks, appreciated the respect I showed and either let me off with a warning or a reduced ticket.  

I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would get assaulted by a police officer if they followed the practice I did / do when engaged by police officers.  

I 100% believe there are bad cops out there, cops who are power drunk and shouldn't be on the job but it is a small percentage and the good cops are weeding these guys out because they don't want to pay the price for these bad cops and end up dead like the officers in Dallas

Joe Paradiso

I own guns. Both rifles, and pistols. The pistols are registered, and I have permits to carry them. I acquired the permits several years ago, when I use to deliver money to my bank each week. I know how to use them. That said, for the past 10 years they have been locked in a safe. The only gun I keep handy is a .30 carbine with a 20 round clip. Probably have not fired it in 10-15 years. Needs a good cleaning, and new ammo.

I do not want to give up my rights to own these weapons. I won't vote for a politician who wants to take away those rights. 

Guns don't kill innocent people. Nut jobs with guns do that. Gun control will not keep guns from nut jobs who want to kill innocent people. 

This is my story, and I sticking to it. :angry:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!