IGNORED

Putting People on the Clock in the U.S. Women's Open

SquirrelNutz
Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Haha. Glad you are enjoying hammering my pitches iacas. Its been good for me too. Jack Nicklaus was one of the slowest players ever, yet I don't ever recall him being on the clock on the final day of a major. Seems to me like the USGA did a better job of staying out of it in those days and letting the players decide the championship. Both 2016 US Opens were a disaster on Sunday because the USGA got too involved in refereeing.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, SquirrelNutz said:

Haha. Glad you are enjoying hammering my pitches iacas. Its been good for me too. Jack Nicklaus was one of the slowest players ever, yet I don't ever recall him being on the clock on the final day of a major. Seems to me like the USGA did a better job of staying out of it in those days and letting the players decide the championship. Both 2016 US Opens were a disaster on Sunday because the USGA got too involved in refereeing.

Jack was slow for his day, but they didn't take six hours to play many rounds of golf back then, and I don't recall him ever being more than a hole behind many of the groups ahead of him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't like slow play. I like it even less when the pro golfers are guilty of it. I was glad when that threesome was put on the clock. It was like a wake-up call for them.

They did not seem to care that they were falling way behind the players in front of them. I guess they thought that they had the course all to themselves by then.

When I was taking lessons @Pine Needles GC, they also schooled us on the 40 second rule. It's a good one to follow.

On 7/11/2016 at 5:06 PM, DaveP043 said:

Hey, lets not slander the Scots, I've found that they're just as fun-loving as anyone, possibly even more so.  As proof, consider whisky, the Scots second-most important contribution to my world.  :beer:

Reveal hidden contents

And for anyone who's not sure what I mean, Scots make whisky, with no "e", everyone else makes whiskEy.

I suppose whisky will be the death of me in the end. The Scots ain't got much on Kentucky when it comes to whisky.

9 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

I suppose whisky will be the death of me in the end. The Scots ain't got much on Kentucky when it comes to whisky.

We might dispute this a little more over in the Grill Room, there's a Drinks thread there.  But its really a matter of personal preference, I don't think either one is clearly better than the other.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 7/14/2016 at 10:54 PM, Natural Patrick said:

post-15337-Christian-Bale-confused-gif-PnJ4.gif

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

The slowest player in the world was formerly Sergio Garcia.  Once the European Tour began assessing penalty strokes, Sergio speeded up.  Get into the pocketbook and the history books with a penalty stroke and slow play is a thing of the past.  Sergio would take like 22 waggles(as I recall) on each shot.  He no longer does this and his play is still world class.  

I am still in favor of the players on tour being allowed to use range finders to determine distance.  This would speed up play.  I do however record all golf that I watch, so pace of play is not a huge issue.  

On July 11, 2016 at 10:42 PM, iacas said:

Jack was slow for his day, but they didn't take six hours to play many rounds of golf back then, and I don't recall him ever being more than a hole behind many of the groups ahead of him.

Jack was lambasted in the 60's for his slow play because it often took him four hours to play in a two ball. It is sad to think that fours hours for a two-ball on the PGA is now considered normal to fast.

Just thinking it's too bad the USGA, LPGA, and the PGA can't afford overtime pay. :-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!