IGNORED

bombtech golf 72* wedge

Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

would anybody use this wedge for play or is it just fun for practice or at the range?BTG_Grenade_72_1000x750__67862.146306154

when i play i have a 68* wedge in my bag although i have to hit it hard to get it anywhere

Maybe...if I was wearing a goalie mask.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Piz said:

Maybe...if I was wearing a goalie mask.

Or at least a mouthguard. 

Never understood how anyone could get enough opportunities to use one of these extreme wedges to justify taking a spot in the bag. Hell, if you regularily find yourself needing a 72* wedge, you're either playing the wrong tees or making really bad decisions with your course management. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

64* is enough loft for me.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I purchased a 72* degree wedge once . Damn thing drove me nuts trying hit balls with it. I tried everything. Sober, drunk, with, and without underwear, closed face, open face, and alot of other things I thought might work. 

After many failures of the first magnitude, I finally got some use out of  it. I melted the club head down, made bullet fishing weights out of it. :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My guess is that these are for people who can't hit a flop shot. I've yet to try hitting one on the golf course. I can hit one off a mat, but I'm scared to try it on the course for some stupid reason.

Julia

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

My guess is that these are for people who can't hit a flop shot. I've yet to try hitting one on the golf course. I can hit one off a mat, but I'm scared to try it on the course for some stupid reason.

But how often does one really need to hit a flop shot? 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

5 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

To be honest, it's probably for people with crap mechanics who deloft the club a ton when pitching so that the dynamic loft is back around 55*. Why get lessons when you could get a new club with a fun number on it?

I say this as someone who used to and can occasionally still be that person :-D

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

13 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

About once every couple rounds. Actually I've done pretty well pitching over a bunker to a short pin with my 64*. Most people have crap mechanics and don't practice nearly enough. Once a week isn't enough.

Julia

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

About once every couple rounds. 

That's my point. If it's only useful once every couple rounds or so, you can probably use that spot for something more useful than a 72* wedge. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Like a 64*. ;-) This thing has been a lifesaver from inside 50 yds.

From what I've read about the company and seen in reviews, they're making a decent product. The 72* wedge will go in the bag of a hacker who can't hit their FWs and pulls one of those out of the bag. It'll be a novelty item because people who have to put their 60* on time out due to blading it will also blade the 72*. 

Julia

Spoiler

I don't know that I'd have any use for a 72*... I can now hit a pretty consistent flop with my 60* easily *thanks @iacas* through proper mechanics. As for how often a flop is needed? Who cares if it's needed, it's fun to do.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

3 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Like a 64*. ;-) This thing has been a lifesaver from inside 50 yds.

For me, that spot is taken by my 60*, which, interestly enough, is mainly used on full to partial shots under 100 yards. When I want to flop something, I usually open up my 56*. I don't know why, but I hit flops better with an open face wedge and open stance than I do with a squared stance and wedge with the same relative loft.

3 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I don't know that I'd have any use for a 72*... I can now hit a pretty consistent flop with my 60* easily *thanks @iacas* through proper mechanics. As for how often a flop is needed? Who cares if it's needed, it's fun to do.

Same here, although Erik likes to mock my "stripper knees" on these shots, I can hit a pretty delicate 20' flop on a downhill lie. :-D 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

2 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

For me, that spot is taken by my 60*, which, interestly enough, is mainly used on full to partial shots under 100 yards. When I want to flop something, I usually open up my 56*. I don't know why, but I hit flops better with an open face wedge and open stance than I do with a squared stance and wedge with the same relative loft.

Same here, although Erik likes to mock my "stripper knees" on these shots, I can hit a pretty delicate 20' flop on a downhill lie. :-D 

He gave me a bit of a hard time also during the round after the lesson. I just kept hitting high flops every time I was around the green. "Gee, I wonder what Jeremie's going to do" Didn't matter if it was the best shot choice, it was just so dang fun to be able to hit the shot that I couldn't help it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

16 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

He gave me a bit of a hard time also during the round after the lesson. I just kept hitting high flops every time I was around the green. "Gee, I wonder what Jeremie's going to do" Didn't matter if it was the best shot choice, it was just so dang fun to be able to hit the shot that I couldn't help it.

Yeah, flops are the bomb once you know how. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I've been trying to use my sand wedge (56*) for everything around the green so I can keep an extra hybrid in the bag.  I've gotten pretty good (for me) learning how it hit it different distances with a combo of choking down on the grip and different back swing stops.  

I could barely find a use for the 64* I bought, 72* would be nothing but bad news for me.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!