IGNORED

Leaving a Mark to Help my Swing

iceman777
Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

No

Yeah i just found a similar thread after searching around with keywords for 20 minutes This can be closed. Sorry for asking.

Edited by cutchemist42

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe you can place something on the ground to help with alignment, but you have to remove it before you make your stroke.  Or, for instance, your partner could stand at the top of a hill while you line up, and then move out of the way before you hit.  I believe that would be similar to using a club for alignment, and then removing it before the strike, which is allowed.

4 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

I know on the teebox things like divots and such can help in alignment. If you're off the teebox, things like leaves or grass spots can also help. Absent really easy-to-see markers, is it legal to place a leaf or ball-marker on your target line to help in aiming?

Tried searching through Google first but couldnt find an answer.

Why not just look in the Rules

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-08,8-2

8-2. Indicating Line of Play

a. Other Than on Putting Green

Except on the putting green, a player may have the line of play indicated to him by anyone, but no one may be positioned by the player for that purpose on or close to the line or an extension of the line beyond thehole while the stroke is being made. Any mark placed by the player or with his knowledge, for the purpose of indicating the line of play, must be removed before the stroke is made.

Exception: Flagstick attended or held up - see Rule 17-1.

b. On the Putting Green

When the player's ball is on the putting green, the line of putt may be indicated before, but not during, thestroke by the player, his partner or either of their caddies; in doing so the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere for the purpose of indicating a line of putt.

4 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

is it legal to place a leaf or ball-marker on your target line to help in aiming?

It is usually easy enough, however, to find, at the very least, a dead patch or discolored blade of grass that'll do the trick.

• Administrator

@cutchemist42, which other thread did you find so I can merge them?

I looked quickly and found some older ones. I swear there was one only a few weeks or months ago though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!