IGNORED

Leaving a Mark to Help my Swing

iceman777
Note: This thread is 2739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive been trying to use a more open stance , due to a hip problem . Trying to swing along  my setup line . Is it illegal to place something like a coin or marker on the ground , away from the ball , as a spot to aim my finish ?

• Administrator

Yes

Just pick out a spot of grass or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, iceman777 said:

Ive been trying to use a more open stance , due to a hip problem . Trying to swing along  my setup line . Is it illegal to place something like a coin or marker on the ground , away from the ball , as a spot to aim my finish ?

You may place something, but you must move it before making the stroke.

8-2a/1

Club Placed on Ground to Align Feet

Q.A player places a club on the ground parallel to the line of play to assist him in aligning his feet properly. Is this permissible?

A.Yes, provided the player removes the club before playing his stroke. Otherwise, a breach of Rule 8-2awould occur.

46 minutes ago, Martyn W said:

8-2a/1

Q.A player places a club on the ground parallel to the line of play to assist him in aligning his feet properly. Is this permissible?

A.Yes, provided the player removes the club before playing his stroke. Otherwise, a breach of Rule 8-2awould occur.

I would assume/guess the answer is yes, but would it still be a penalty if the player removes the club but it leaves the imprint of the club on the grass, as in the case of a dewy morning?

Or in the case of the OP he puts down a big coin firmly so it leaves a discernible mark once he removes it?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

26 minutes ago, turtleback said:

I would assume/guess the answer is yes, but would it still be a penalty if the player removes the club but it leaves the imprint of the club on the grass, as in the case of a dewy morning?

Or in the case of the OP he puts down a big coin firmly so it leaves a discernible mark once he removes it?

Yes, that would be making a mark in breach of 8-2

• iacas changed the title to Leaving a Mark to Help my Swing

You may do it on the driving range. It is not allowed in competitive rounds or rounds that you're applying to your handicap. If you're playing a solo practice round and feel you need the training wheels on the course, go for it. Otherwise, keep it confined to the driving range.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On the tee box just look for a broken tee in front. Tee up behind it, using it for your follow through aiming. You cant place it, but use it if its already there.

• Upvote 2

That's one of the nice things about a less-maintained course. Usually there's more "spots" you can use to aid your alignment, including on the greens :) 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

On 7/17/2016 at 9:49 AM, iceman777 said:

When I was working on my alignment, I would pick a spot and use my club to identify a spot to put the tee. Now I just hold the club up in front of you and create a line to the spot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/17/2016 at 0:10 PM, DrvFrShow said:

You may do it on the driving range. It is not allowed in competitive rounds or rounds that you're applying to your handicap. If you're playing a solo practice round and feel you need the training wheels on the course, go for it. Otherwise, keep it confined to the driving range.

^ This is the best answer.  You can do whatever you want when not playing strict rules-based comps or for handicap.  (bad form if betting also unless everyone doesn't care)

Doesn't have to be solo either.  If just playing for fun and not putting it in for handicap.

(Though I find it's good practice to just picks spots of grass or etc even then so it more closely matches 'real life' :-P).

Here's a variation - in a rule-based round, can someone place/teeup the ball so aligns with something that is ALREADY lying there (broken top of a tee or something...?  seems to not be in the spirit of the rule though)

(seems to always be a little bloom/fuzz to line up with, heck, the divots can somtimes show a very long line in the right direction....I think it's a silly rule as such since you can always find a legal alignment)

Bill - 

On 7/18/2016 at 3:32 PM, jkelley9 said:

That's one of the nice things about a less-maintained course. Usually there's more "spots" you can use to aid your alignment, including on the greens :) 

The anti-smoking movement has definitely shaken up golf. It used to be, there was a cigarette butt every 5 yards you could use as an alignment point.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I like picking out a spot about a foot or two in front of my ball to use as my starting point for the ball.  I do this on the range as well...it makes it much more transferrable to the course if you do it that way.

If I lay down the alignment sticks regularly when I practice at the range, I find I can visualize them in my "mind's eye" when I line up out on the course. Kind of like the football "first down" line that magically appears on-screen during TV games.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
On July 19, 2016 at 10:19 AM, rehmwa said:

Here's a variation - in a rule-based round, can someone place/teeup the ball so aligns with something that is ALREADY lying there (broken top of a tee or something...?  seems to not be in the spirit of the rule though)

That's fine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On the tee box, you can also use the tee markers as the alignment aid. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 7/17/2016 at 10:28 AM, Martyn W said:

8-2a/1

Like iacas said, any thing that is already lying there, that you did NOT place there, is fair game to be used as an aim point. I've done it many times. You are not interpreting the "spirit" of the rule correctly, rehmwa. It's about "natural" help versus "artificial" or "constructed" help.

• 2 months later...

I know on the teebox things like divots and such can help in alignment. If you're off the teebox, things like leaves or grass spots can also help. Absent really easy-to-see markers, is it legal to place a leaf or ball-marker on your target line to help in aiming?

Tried searching through Google first but couldnt find an answer.

Edited by cutchemist42

Note: This thread is 2739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!