IGNORED

Computer Specs

Abu3baid
Note: This thread is 2837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently purchased a be laptop for work (should be arriving today) and it's just amazing how technology has advanced in the past 4 years (the last time I bought one).

So, obviously there are things people care about more than others.  To me the most important part of any computer is its processing power and ability to have multiple programs running at the same time without slowing down.  The aesthetics don't matter as much to me, so if I had to choose between a 14" and a 15.6" I would take the 14" only if the same specs were available.  Yeah, I'm not going to go for a 17" or anything like that because who wants to lug that thing around right?

I was originally set on getting a Lenovo and I ordered it, but they had an issue with their supply chain and couldn't tell me when they would be able to ship any of their thinkpad models.  I cancelled and went ahead with a dell.

I settled on a Precision 7510 XCTO Technical Review

The most two important features to me include the processor and the ram and I tried to strike a balance between the cost and the power.  I settled on the two below:

Intel� Core� i7-6820HQ (Quad Core 2.70GHz, 3.60GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics 530), MPWS

32GB Dual Channel DDR4 2133Mhz (16GBx2), MPWS

I was going to go with i7-6890 but figured that extra little kick wouldn't give me enough to justify the increase in cost, 

The one I had to mull over for a while was going with the 32GB vs the 64GB of RAM.  Either of these were still a better option than the 8GB I have currently, but in the end I figured I would see how it played out, and if I ever wanted to upgrade I can always get another 2 cards to fill the 16GB slots.

The next piece is the hard drive and I decided to go with the high performance one even though because of the cost I went with the lowest capacity 256 GB and then got another lower end hard drive of 500 GB for general storage of files.

256GB M.2 PCIe High Performance Solid State Drive, MPWS

500GB 2.5 inch SATA 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Finally the screen:

15.6" UltraSharp FHD IPS (1920x1080) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit with Premium Panel Guarantee (72% color gamut)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 GB of RAM, and 64 available as an option.  Things have changed since I last extensively looked for a computer.  My laptop has 4 GB RAM and works fine.  I also have 6 GB in my desktop.  But I do have spec envy looking at what you're getting... 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Abu3baid said:

The one I had to mull over for a while was going with the 32GB vs the 64GB of RAM.  Either of these were still a better option than the 8GB I have currently, but in the end I figured I would see how it played out, and if I ever wanted to upgrade I can always get another 2 cards to fill the 16GB slots.

If you are just doing basic computer stuff. Watching videos, surfing the internet, playing video games. Then you will probably not see a difference between 32 and 64. If you want to do stuff like render videos increasing memory shows a pretty big change in performance.  

Most people can get by with 8 GB of RAM. I would recommend 16 GB for most people. 

A solid state drive is a great choice for hard drive. It will significantly improve your start up times on your programs and Windows. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

32 GB of RAM, and 64 available as an option.  Things have changed since I last extensively looked for a computer.  My laptop has 4 GB RAM and works fine.  I also have 6 GB in my desktop.  But I do have spec envy looking at what you're getting... 

Yeah, I don't even remember that being an option 4 years ago when I bought my last one... I ended up with 8 GB.

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

If you are just doing basic computer stuff. Watching videos, surfing the internet, playing video games. Then you will probably not see a difference between 32 and 64. If you want to do stuff like render videos increasing memory shows a pretty big change in performance.  

Most people can get by with 8 GB of RAM. I would recommend 16 GB for most people. 

A solid state drive is a great choice for hard drive. It will significantly improve your start up times on your programs and Windows. 

Yeah, that's what I thought..  The heaviest action the computer gets is when I run multiple Access Apps that I use for work, and they start updating and appending data in tables that have millions of rows.. I don't do much with videos, so I agree even the 32 might be over kill :)  ..  Oh well, it's still nice to have!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

4 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

I recently purchased a be laptop

Looks like a great machine. The things you should notice will be the speed increase of web pages loading ( super quick with high speed ISP)
which is also great for streaming live sports, movies, etc.

Most modern app's or software usually run sufficiently on older generation PC's or Tablets.
Graphic software, Adobe or Corel users tend to use an abundant of system resources when creating various designs. 
Gaming is also a load on the processor with all the visual effects. 

Hopefully you'll be good to go for a year or so ...   :beer:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

You can run a lot of VMs with 64GB. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!