IGNORED

2016 Rio Olympics Thread (Sport Only)

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

By expelling the demons with ritual fire, Michael Phelps hopes to be lighter and faster in the pool:

mjg7ut7.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/08/08/about-those-spots-on-michael-phelpss-body/

Next on his agenda, leeches and therapeutic bloodletting.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

7 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's prime time and the have synchronized diving on. This is why I have trouble focusing on the Olympics. 

Also tennis and water polo. But yeah, I'm not watching anything now. But I am pleased that it's on a bunch of DVR-able channels (NBC, NBCSN, Bravo, and was on CNBC and USA at some point in the last few days).

Already have the DVR set for the golf later this week. Hopefully the schedule won't change.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Silent said:

Anyone watching USA - Holland womens volleyball? Amazing match, high level.

Whew, yes, close match, Netherlands team is great but US played quite poorly, couldn't get a serve in and their 2nd best hitter had a poor match.  I look for them to step it up but it'll be tough for anyone to get out of this pool undefeated.  I could see China getting by them and meeting either China or Holland again in medal play.

Thanks for keeping the result on the DL, although my DVR was an epic fail.  Match went long so it stopped right as US tied it 2-2, never saw the 5th set. 

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

That was awesome seeing Lilly King win gold in the 100 Breaststroke after her comments on the Russian swimmer (Yulia Efimova) testing positive for a banned substance twice and still being able to compete in the olympics. 

5 hours ago, Gunther said:

Whew, yes, close match, Netherlands team is great but US played quite poorly, couldn't get a serve in and their 2nd best hitter had a poor match.  I look for them to step it up but it'll be tough for anyone to get out of this pool undefeated.  I could see China getting by them and meeting either China or Holland again in medal play.

Thanks for keeping the result on the DL, although my DVR was an epic fail.  Match went long so it stopped right as US tied it 2-2, never saw the 5th set. 

No problem. Yea, very nice game. The Netherlands surprise us, they are (were) not one of the top teams, but after beating China (nr 3 of the world) and now this match against USA (nr 1) who knows what is possible for the rest of the games. We did beat you regarding the beauty of the women on pitch though :P (even though the women in hockey and handball are really A+). Very important match against Italy up next. I don't really expect a medal though. Netherlands will get some (gold) medals in hockey (m+w), cycling time trial (m), handball (w), shooting, sailing, judo and 100+200 metres sprint (w) + some other sports I expect. And who knows what Luiten can do, haha.

• Upvote 1

~Jorrit

8 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

That was awesome seeing Lilly King win gold in the 100 Breaststroke after her comments on the Russian swimmer (Yulia Efimova) testing positive for a banned substance twice and still being able to compete in the olympics. 

It just shows how gutless and corrupt the IOC is. There was no reason why Efimova was there. If she was from the US, she'd be banned for life.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

NBC picks the best music. This theme is like an extra energy boost, excellent for getting you going for that workout.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Van Vleuten out of the hospital. Amazing what the human body is able to withstand.

http://www.annemiekvanvleuten.nl/nieuws/uit-het-ziekenhuis-en-bedankt-voor-alle-reacties/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

26 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Van Vleuten out of the hospital. Amazing what the human body is able to withstand.

http://www.annemiekvanvleuten.nl/nieuws/uit-het-ziekenhuis-en-bedankt-voor-alle-reacties/

Damn glad she's not incapacitated. I hope she gets a huge cheer at the closing ceremonies as slight compensation for her grief!

Kevin

Phelps evil eye - 9.9

Steve

We might see some cyclists fall again today. Very wet conditions. Time trials women just started, men later today. By the men Dutchman Tom Dumoulin is the big favourite for gold, however in this wet and windy conditions it can be more of a lottery who has the best conditions.

~Jorrit

USA's Armstrong wins cycling time trial women, Anna van der Breggen who won gold in the roadrace got bronze this time. Second is a Russian who was suspended at first (history of doping), but last minute was allowed to compete after all. That's too bad, since 4th place is another Dutchie; she made an error and landed in the bushes, costed 18 seconds from going of the road and back on the bike again + obviously time lost in getting back to speed and rhytem. She might have trew away a gold medal, but at least á medal there.

In 5 minutes the men start.

~Jorrit

Someone commented in another thread that the purpose of the Olympics is for each country to win as many medals as possible, Maybe more so during the cold war, but the Olympics is so huge, it's many things.

The modern Olympic Games were inspired by the ancient Olympic Games played during the Roman Empire. Those games lasted for 1,200 years until about A.D. 400, when the games were banned by the Roman emperor at the time. After being involved in many battles, Pierre de Coubertin had the idea that sport could act as a way to build bridges between countries. In 1890 he formed the Union des Sociétés Francaises de Sports Athlétiques.

Four years later, de Coubertin proposed that the modern Olympic Games be created, and delegates representing nine countries agreed to his plan. The first modern Olympic Games were set for 1896 at the birthplace of the ancient Olympic Games: Athens. Pierre de Coubertin formed an international committee to organize the games, and this grouping eventually became what is today known as the International Olympic Committee. Since that time, the games have been shared around many countries with the goal of breaking down cultural barriers and bringing people together.

http://olympics.sporting99.com/modern-olympics.html

http://history1900s.about.com/od/fadsfashion/a/olympicshistory.htm

One could argue with globalization, this isn't necessary anymore, but one could make many counterarguments it's needed now more than ever. 

The Olympics is many things, a chance for the host country to boost its economy and standing, corporations to make money, aspiration for athletes, inspiration for viewers, etc... To me, it brings to the forefront a platform for sports people would have never watched if not for the major event nature of the Olympics. Track and field, fencing, table tennis, archery, rugby, judo, etc... Yeah, there's a lot that's wrong with the Olympics, corruption is always going to be there, but the mingling between so many different nationalities and the inspiration it provides will always be there and that's a positive that can't be measured.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Another good win for the US girls against a tough, previously undefeated Serbian team, 3-1.  Great RS blockers they are, our outside hitters couldn't get anything through them.

Onto China, the only threat left in pool play.  US currently the only undefeated team remaining in the pool.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

New Olympic Drinking game. Take a drink every time they say "Misty May-Treanor" while Kerri Walsh is playing beach volleyball. I'll bet that makes Walsh's new partner, er.., what's her name?...a bit jealous. :-P

And in other news: Katie Ledecky is freaking awesome.

Lastly: My new favorite Olympian, Swiss BVB Player Isabelle Forrer. I was so sad that it was cold and rainy during the game last night. :-(

Isabella Forrer.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!