IGNORED

Hello from Hilton Head Island.

Bigborgel
Note: This thread is 2486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, I'm a 71 y/o golfer living on Hilton Head for the past 16 years, and I'm a semi-retired CPA. I'm a member of the Country Club of Hilton Head, where I seldom play, because that course eats my lunch. But I do play regularly at Dolphin Head GC and Bear Creek GC, these 2 courses are under new ownership and are now semi-private, and quite reasonably priced. I game most Ping equipment, except for AFO 12* driver and a Maltby KE4 putter.  I used to build and repair clubs as a hobby, but now just blow grips on. A year ago I moved up from the white tees to the greens, nice to have a chance to reach in regulation again.

Welcome aboard.

We stayed on HHI for the first time back in the summer of 2014.  Loved it - absolutely beautiful place, and we plan to go back next summer (it's a 7-8 hour drive, so not our quickest beach destination).

We stayed in a villa on the 10th at Harbour Towne, just in front of the old tree that guards the 10th green on the left.  Decided against playing it, as my (then-teen) son was with me and wanted to play wherever I did, but isn't an avid golfer...not so fit for $165 greens fees.  Very cool, though, how in the evenings, they let people just walk around the course (there were kids playing in the bunkers on 16 and people throwing frisbee on 18); we walked across 10, 16, 17 and down 18 to the marina for dinner and it was such a cool ambiance.

We played off-island at Crescent Pointe.  Decent little track for the money, but I'm going to play on-island for sure next year.  Let me know if you have any course recommendations!  I like a challenge, but am more a fan of the generous fairways over the tight, tree-lined ones.

Love everything about HHI, though.  The light ordinances made for beautiful night skies (I'm an astronomy enthusiast).  Family-friendly and high-rise free; gorgeous trees and wetlands - interesting wildlife we don't see on the gulf coast.  All of us can't wait to go back.

BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 7 months later...
On 8/28/2016 at 10:13 AM, Bigborgel said:

Hello, I'm a 71 y/o golfer living on Hilton Head for the past 16 years, and I'm a semi-retired CPA. I'm a member of the Country Club of Hilton Head, where I seldom play, because that course eats my lunch. But I do play regularly at Dolphin Head GC and Bear Creek GC, these 2 courses are under new ownership and are now semi-private, and quite reasonably priced. I game most Ping equipment, except for AFO 12* driver and a Maltby KE4 putter.  I used to build and repair clubs as a hobby, but now just blow grips on. A year ago I moved up from the white tees to the greens, nice to have a chance to reach in regulation again.

Any other mid or high cappers play Dolphin Head GC and Bear Creek GC, lately? I am going there in June. I am going to stay at Palmetto Dunes. I will pay the higher green fees there one time. But, I am looking for a lower cost and family friendly option for my second round. Thx.

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

I like dolphin head. However each time I go I want to play the back tees since it is rather short but always end up getting paired up. If you keep it in play and can putt it is a great course to go low on.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:51 PM, upndown21 said:

I like dolphin head. However each time I go I want to play the back tees since it is rather short but always end up getting paired up. If you keep it in play and can putt it is a great course to go low on.

Thanks, man. Any others you recommend that are scorable?

29 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Thanks, man. Any others you recommend that are scorable?

My folks have a place on the island next to the Golden Bear (obviously Nicklaus-designed). It's basically in the middle of the island (Indigo Run plantation). Usually very good condition, a good mix of hole designs, various tees to choose from. Pick the right tees for your level, and it's pretty score-able. Just a fun round for us, enough that we don't feel a great need to venture out to all the other great courses (I'm sure we're missing out, but I guess it says a lot about the course that we're ok with staying close to home).

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Welcome to The Sand Trap @Bigborgel!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 4 weeks later...

For on-island courses, I can recommend Fazio and Arthur Hills in Palmetto Dunes, in nearby Bluffton try Pinecrest (20 mins) tight and challenging, Rose Hill, long and easier. HH National great grooming, fun track. For restaurants, Floras Italian Cafe, good italian, reasonable, OKKO asian fusion, good eats, Sage Room, excellent and pricey. Pomodori excellent, Old Oyster Factory, good seafood, touristy. Sea grass grille, very good.

Scorable courses would include Dolphin Head, Bear Creek, and Robt Trent Jones. Off island you have Eagles Pointe, Rose Hill and Island West. IW is kind of hokey.

Note: This thread is 2486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!