IGNORED

Sun Mountain's New Elite Raingear

Note: This thread is 2754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I'm not going to lie… I'm a bit partial to Sun Mountain for a lot of things, including rain gear, push carts, outerwear, wind jackets, golf bags, etc.

I like the idea of a company that's focused on doing just golf, and doing it well. There's a reason other big-name manufacturers basically sub-contract their products out to Sun Mountain - they do a great job.

Sun Mountain is releasing their new Elite series rain gear, and here's a bit of information about it. Before I share that, though, just one last quick comment: if you have to play in the rain (and the hardcore among us will face that option somewhat often…), you're way, way better served being warm and dry. Sun Mountain gear does a great job of both.

Sun Mountain Introduces New Top-of-the-Line Golf Rainwear

Sun Mountain has a new top-of-the-line collection of golf rain gear for 2017 called Elite. The Elite Rain Jacket and Pants use waterproof fabric technology called 37.5 that has a two-year guarantee and offers up to 3X more breathability than competitors plus the stretch golfers need. 37.5 fabric dries much faster than most waterproof fabrics, too, diminishing wet cling

“We are continually searching for technologies to improve the function of our outerwear,” explained Sun Mountain Vice President of Outerwear, Mark Heydon. “The new Elite Rain Jacket and Pants are made with the ultimate fabric that has a waterproof rating as high as any rain jacket we’ve ever offered, while being extremely breathable, and stretching like our RainFlex.”

Elite’s three-layer construction with 37.5 Technology keeps you dry inside and out by maintaining an ideal core temperature. 

The body strives to maintain a core temperature of 37.5° C, and people are most comfortable when the microclimate next to the skin has a relative humidity of 37.5%. Not surprisingly, this ideal 37.5 comfort zone is also the ideal performance zone.

With 37.5 Technology, patented active particles in the fabric capture and remove perspiration vapor, using body heat to accelerate the process. The hotter a person becomes, the stronger the force removing perspiration vapor.

The bottom line is that 37.5 Technology helps maintain the zone of comfort and performance by breathing 50% to 300% better than competitors while maintaining waterproof protection. 37.5 fabric also dries up to five times faster than competitors, diminishing wet cling. And 37.5 Technology is made with naturally derived materials, so won’t irritate the skin, and the active particles are permanently embedded in the fabric, so will never degrade.

The Elite Rain Jacket offers significant four-way stretch and features high-quality, two-way YKK waterproof zipper, adjustable cuffs and two hand warmer pockets. Available in sizes M-XXL, with S and XXXL available in black.

Elite Rain Pants feature Auto-Fit™ stretch waist with zipper fly and belt loops, two front pockets with zippered pass-through, back pocket with Velcro® closure and a snap system to shorten the pants 2.5 inches. Additional features include protective fabric overlay on the inside ankle and deep lower leg zippers for easy on and off over shoes. Available in sizes S-XXL.

Elite is in golf shops and online now at $299.99 for the full-zip jacket and $259.99 for the pants. For the nearest Sun Mountain retailer, call 800-227-9224 or visit www.sunmountain.com.

Before I add some photos, I didn't know that about the 37.5% humidity. I did some quick Googling and it looks like the range is really 30-55% or so, putting 37.5% at the bottom range, but 35.5° C is 99.5° F, which is basically the same as 98.6°, so… I'll forgive them the "cooler" sounding marketing name instead of calling it "98.6/30-55" fabric. :-)

The rain gear is also simple and classic without calling a bunch of attention to itself. The only bummer is the lack of differently colored pants… I think just black is available.

Elite_Jacket_Navy_Red_Front_Shadow_50%.pngElite Jacket Black Front Shadow 50%.pngElite Jacket Gray Back Shadow 50%.pngElite Pants Black Shadow 50%.png

What's your current rain gear?

If you were going to get some new rain gear from Sun Mountain, which of their products would you pick?

https://shop.sunmountain.com/mens-rainwear.html

• Upvote 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd probably get the Rainflex jacket. The Elite stuff looks fantastic, but I don't think I play in the rain enough for a $299 jacket (similar story with the pants).

I played in a decent rain on Saturday, and my "standard" rain-resistant athletic gear was OK, but there is definitely room for improvement. The Rainflex line seems like the perfect compromise for my level of use. 

This may seem silly, but I also appreciate the detailed size chart. I'm incredibly picky about the way clothes fit.

Finally, a bit off-topic, but I agree on Sun Mountain overall. I've already decided that my next golf bag will be a SM. 

- John

10 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not going to lie… I'm a bit partial to Sun Mountain for a lot of things, including rain gear, push carts, outerwear, wind jackets, golf bags, etc.

I like the idea of a company that's focused on doing just golf, and doing it well. There's a reason other big-name manufacturers basically sub-contract their products out to Sun Mountain - they do a great job.

Sun Mountain is releasing their new Elite series rain gear, and here's a bit of information about it. Before I share that, though, just one last quick comment: if you have to play in the rain (and the hardcore among us will face that option somewhat often…), you're way, way better served being warm and dry. Sun Mountain gear does a great job of both.

Before I add some photos, I didn't know that about the 37.5% humidity. I did some quick Googling and it looks like the range is really 30-55% or so, putting 37.5% at the bottom range, but 35.5° C is 99.5° F, which is basically the same as 98.6°, so… I'll forgive them the "cooler" sounding marketing name instead of calling it "98.6/30-55" fabric. :-)

The rain gear is also simple and classic without calling a bunch of attention to itself. The only bummer is the lack of differently colored pants… I think just black is available.

Elite_Jacket_Navy_Red_Front_Shadow_50%.pngElite Jacket Black Front Shadow 50%.pngElite Jacket Gray Back Shadow 50%.pngElite Pants Black Shadow 50%.png

What's your current rain gear?

If you were going to get some new rain gear from Sun Mountain, which of their products would you pick?

https://shop.sunmountain.com/mens-rainwear.html

This looks very promising! My issue with rain gear is I sweat and my current long sleeve jacket and pants (Mizuno Impermalite) don't wick moisture away enough. That prompted me into getting a short sleeve jacket and short from Galway Bay. The Galway Bay stuff is pretty good, but obviously my arms and legs will get wet.

I love the belt loops on the Sun Mountain pants in the photo! I actually had a tailor put some on my Mizuno pants. I don't understand why the other makers don't have them. If I know it is going to rain, I am going to wear the rain pants instead of regular pants and not over them.

I would go with the Elite Jacket in Navy Blue and the pants. They should make the hat out of the same material.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I really like the Sun Mountain gear as well. The Elite series looks great. I don't know that I could justify paying that much for rain gear though. Maybe it will make my christmas list.  I will be buying a new bag next year and have made my mind up to go with Sun Mountain as well. Not sure which I will choose though

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I love the belt loops on the Sun Mountain pants in the photo! I actually had a tailor put some on my Mizuno pants. I don't understand why the other makers don't have them. If I know it is going to rain, I am going to wear the rain pants instead of regular pants and not over them.

Yeah, I hate how every manufacturer assumes rain pants will go OVER other pants. A lot of golfers I know wear them over shorts. @james_hirshfield used to teach in just rain pants - they were warmer than regular pants, but not as warm as two layers of pants.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I really like the Elite but $299 is closer to what I'd want to spend on a whole suit instead of just the jacket. If I was getting any Sun Mountain rain gear I'd probably go with the Cumulus line. I don't mind layering in cold weather so the light jacket should be fine for me.

Right now I just use a water resistant wind breaker and a pair of cheap rain pants. Neither are designed specifically for golf but are loose enough that they don't impair my swing, but honestly I hate loose-fitting clothes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I use a mash-up of companies.  Under Armour storm pants, Ping short sleeve pull over, Sun Mountain long sleeve jacket.  The Ping jacket is more water resistant than water proof but has worked well.  I much prefer short sleeve jackets if the temp allows, I seem to get too bound up in long sleeve jackets.

If I was buying new gear, I would lean towards the Rainflex or Tour Series.

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

Note: This thread is 2754 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!