IGNORED

For the mid to high hcp'rs ... 5w vs 3w

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

It's closer to the ground. It's slightly easier to hit an iron off a tee too even if it's only up 1/4"

Yeah that's it! I usually err on the topping side. So I probably never get enough of the sweet spot.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

8 hours ago, natureboy said:

knowing that manufacturer's add shaft length for marketing purposes, I had my shaft cut down so the driver would be 44.5" and hit it pretty well. I recently started gripping down so it's 43" and have not lost any significant distance and have been making more consistently solid contact.

so true - I always cut a 1/2-1" (depending on the factory shaft length) off my driver - I get much more consistent contact, which correlates to a bit more distance

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Neither for me. I recently found out and got it measured that my PW/SW had 10* between them. Went to my local golf store and got a used wedge bent to 51* Took out my 15*W and love my set more now. Now my highest club is an 18* hybrid.

Edited by cutchemist42

I had no GW between my 48* PW and 55* SW.  To make room for one, I replaced my (90s-vintage!) 14* 3W and 18* 5W with a 16* 4W.

I haven't played with this setup up yet, though; will do so next week.  I don't see how this won't help, as the number of times I used the old 3W/5W combo in a round was very low.  Carrying both was a waste of a slot in the bag.

:cobra:  :wilsonstaff:  :cleveland:

• Cobra Fly-Z+ Driver (10*), 3/4 Fwy (15.5*)
  • Adams Red (20*)
  • Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 4-GW (24*,27*,31*,35*,39*,43*,47*, 51*)
  • Cobra Trusty Rusty (51*,55*,59*)
  • Cleveland TFI 6.5

Since I haven't been practicing that much this year, I went back to my 7 wood. Nice club. Easy to hit. It usually leaves me in a position to hit a wedge of some sort into the green complex. And sometimes I miss that shot, but that's life.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 10/9/2016 at 9:37 AM, inthehole said:

As a mid hcp who's struggled with consistency with the 3 wood for years (have good and bad days with the 3w .. but the occasional REALLY bad days are round killers)... this year I bought a quality 5 wood.     What a difference !!     I hit it SO much better off the deck - my average length is longer than the 3w as I hit is cleaner (that once in a blue moon 3 wood when I pure it was longer, but that was a couple times a year shot).  Off the tee I have so much more confidence with the 5 wood due to the shorter shaft.

Just curious if anybody else has found the same epiphany ... for us average golfers with moderate swing speeds and not alot of practice time, the 5 wood is far more reliable ...

Ive recently been schooled by a co worker who tees off with a five wood on every hole thats not a par 3. And since my three wood and I are finally getting a divorce, Ive been debating whether to add a 19 degree hybrid or a 5 wood. Your posts has got me thinking maybe Ill explore the 5 wood angle

Of my 4 metal woods, my 5W is the one I am most hesitant to hit. I have a tendency to top the ball with it every so often. I still carry it, but when ever I can, I will manage my yardages with other clubs to avoid using it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Ive recently been schooled by a co worker who tees off with a five wood on every hole thats not a par 3. And since my three wood and I are finally getting a divorce, Ive been debating whether to add a 19 degree hybrid or a 5 wood. Your posts has got me thinking maybe Ill explore the 5 wood angle

I will use a 5w off the tee in most situations where I need to be accurate. My driver is far more inconsistent and for some reason the 3w is similar. My 5w is much more reliable and goes about 200 yards. I can hit it off the fairway too, so it is not a unitasker. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2740 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!