IGNORED

Withdrew during a club championship tournament ...

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

The creepy tension given out by the guy was indeed palpable.   I think he was happy to see me pack in b/c he either felt bad about how he snapped or he still was mad at me for thinking I blamed his talking politics for my bad shot.   He himself hit OB following the incident and I knew it wasn't fun for him either..   I play golf for fun and there was no reason to keep playing after that.  

Quitter?  Come on, guys.   This is a game, not a do or die mission.   Guys like Adam Scot, Justin, Jason, ... , refused to play for their country in Rio for Zika in comparison to all the LPGA players who had more to risk.   IMO, they are the quitters.   Tell me that you had never quit while playing something.   If you can say that without the lie meter going off, then you are far better person than everyone here.

Don't take it personal - nobody is derisively calling you a quitter as some kind of referendum on your character.  But in this one instance you stopped fighting before the fight was done (shoutout to Eliot Ness in Untouchables) which, by definition, is quitting.  In this one instance.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Don't take it personal - nobody is derisively calling you a quitter as some kind of referendum on your character.  But in this one instance you stopped fighting before the fight was done (shoutout to Eliot Ness in Untouchables) which, by definition, is quitting.  In this one instance.

Actually, a few are making this into a character flaw.   IMO, they are being hypocritical as if they have never quit on anything in their life.   As you said, I quit vs I am a quitter is different.  I admitted that I quit on this instance but that does not make me a quitter.   Calling one out on a subject is ok but making it a personal flaw isn't.    Experienced, and respected posters here like you know the difference but a few who is taking this thread to label the OP (me in this case) is just bad forum etiquette.   And those people know that.   

• Upvote 2

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

4 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

The creepy tension given out by the guy was indeed palpable.   I think he was happy to see me pack in b/c he either felt bad about how he snapped or he still was mad at me for thinking I blamed his talking politics for my bad shot.   He himself hit OB following the incident and I knew it wasn't fun for him either..   I play golf for fun and there was no reason to keep playing after that.  

Quitter?  Come on, guys.   This is a game, not a do or die mission.   Guys like Adam Scot, Justin, Jason, ... , refused to play for their country in Rio for Zika in comparison to all the LPGA players who had more to risk.   IMO, they are the quitters.   Tell me that you had never quit while playing something.   If you can say that without the lie meter going off, then you are far better person than everyone here.

In 26 years of tournament play I've withdrawn one time (in June, this year at age 69), and that was before the second round began, not during a round.  I developed severe gout in my right big toe the first day, and could barely walk to the check-in table to tell them that I was withdrawing.  I shot a 104 in the one round I finished, and by the end of that round I couldn't get any thrust from my right foot.  If you've never had gout, I would suggest that you do everything you can to avoid ever experiencing that kind of pain.

I've shot a horrific 103 (for no particular reason other than bad play) in the first round of the club championship when carrying a 10 handicap and still played all 4 rounds, even though my chances of making it into the money were nil.  I sure wasn't having any fun that day.  I just don't quit on something after I've made the commitment to participate unless I have no choice.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

22 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I just don't quit on something after I've made the commitment to participate unless I have no choice.

Good for you, but it still doesn't mean you can apply whatever standards you hold yourself to towards everyone around you.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Good for you, but it still doesn't mean you can apply whatever standards you hold yourself to towards everyone around you.

No, but I can express my low opinion of their failing to live up to their commitment.  It's bad sportsmanship, pure and simple.

Rick

6 hours ago, Fourputt said:

No, but I can express my low opinion of their failing to live up to their commitment.  It's bad sportsmanship, pure and simple.

I don't agree with it being a commitment to finish. When you sign up for a tournament, the only commitment you make is to pay the fee and play by the rules. You don't commit to finishing the tournament. I also don't agree that quitting is bad sportsmanship. If someone is having such a bad time during the round, for whatever reason, their mood can deteriorate to the point where it becomes toxic to those around them. I'd argue that is much more disruptive and unfair to their playing partners than leaving is.

• Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I don't agree with it being a commitment to finish. When you sign up for a tournament, the only commitment you make is to pay the fee and play by the rules. You don't commit to finishing the tournament. I also don't agree that quitting is bad sportsmanship. If someone is having such a bad time during the round, for whatever reason, their mood can deteriorate to the point where it becomes toxic to those around them. I'd argue that is much more disruptive and unfair to their playing partners than leaving is.

Being able to manage one's emotions during a bad round is a part of good sportsmanship.  I don't see how one can rationalize quitting because he can't handle his own frustration as being anything but a bad sport.  I can't see letting my poor play, or letting the actions of one guy in a group of four, get me down to the point that I'd quit.  I'd find a way to make the round work.  If it's that easy for someone to get in your head, then this won't be the last time you run into this sort of experience.  

Maybe I'm reacting more strongly than most, but this whole scenario is just foreign to me.  I've never even quit a casual round because I didn't like the people I was paired with (and I have played with plenty of people with whom I didn't quite get on), so I'm certainly not going to quit a competition round for that.  I find a way to get some value out of the round.  

Not all people are completely compatible, but I still find ways to get along and not let that incompatibility diminish my enjoyment of this game.

• Upvote 1

Rick

2 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Being able to manage one's emotions during a bad round is a part of good sportsmanship.  I don't see how one can rationalize quitting because he can't handle his own frustration as being anything but a bad sport.  I can't see letting my poor play, or letting the actions of one guy in a group of four, get me down to the point that I'd quit.  I'd find a way to make the round work.  If it's that easy for someone to get in your head, then this won't be the last time you run into this sort of experience.  

Maybe I'm reacting more strongly than most, but this whole scenario is just foreign to me.  I've never even quit a casual round because I didn't like the people I was paired with (and I have played with plenty of people with whom I didn't quite get on), so I'm certainly not going to quit a competition round for that.  I find a way to get some value out of the round.  

Not all people are completely compatible, but I still find ways to get along and not let that incompatibility diminish my enjoyment of this game.

I don't understand how managing one's own emotions has anything to do with sportsmanship unless the person who was having a bad time started lashing out at others. I would say that the person bringing up political talk was the one exhibiting poor sportsmanship, especially when he snapped at the OP for making a joke about it being the cause of the start of his golf troubles.

I do agree that learning to deal with adversity and playing with people you don't necessarily want to be around can be a very important if someone intends to compete in tournaments. I've never quit a round or tournament of any sort because I was upset or didn't like those around me. That said, I don't think less of anyone who decides that it's not worth staying either.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

On 10/10/2016 at 10:32 PM, rkim291968 said:

Actually, a few are making this into a character flaw.   IMO, they are being hypocritical as if they have never quit on anything in their life.   As you said, I quit vs I am a quitter is different.  I admitted that I quit on this instance but that does not make me a quitter.   Calling one out on a subject is ok but making it a personal flaw isn't.    Experienced, and respected posters here like you know the difference but a few who is taking this thread to label the OP (me in this case) is just bad forum etiquette.   And those people know that.   

I didn't say it's a character flaw, I just said it was convenient to use jerky boy as  excuse to quit after you hit two balls OB. 

I also posed the question, which was asked by others after me, "would you have quit had you been playing well and/or in contention?" 

Quitting mid round does affect your fellow competitors. I have had it happen twice to me in USGA qualifiers.  Both times were because of poor play and left me in a weird position. Both qualifiers I was paired in  twosome. 

The first time I got to the third tee of my second round only to see my competitor walking back towards #2 tee. I asked where he was going and he shouted back sorry I'm done. So I was left without a marker and this was before cell phones were ubiquitous. I found a guy on a cart and asked him to go back to the scoring area and get an official.  While doing so the threesome behind played on. I ended up playing as  onesome with a marker waiting on the threesome every shot.

The most recent my competitor quit on #12 leaving me to play #13 with a marker and busting up the threesome in front. So his quitting affected not only me, as he was my marker, but also the threesome as they had to break up and one had to hold back and wait for me on 14 tee. 

I hold a negative view of quitting for any reason other than true injury or family emergency. I don't see where your reason for quitting is acceptable to leave your fellow competitors in the lurch. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Shooting29 said:

I didn't say it's a character flaw, I just said it was convenient to use jerky boy as  excuse to quit after you hit two balls OB. 

I also posed the question, which was asked by others after me, "would you have quit had you been playing well and/or in contention?" 

Quitting mid round does affect your fellow competitors. I have had it happen twice to me in USGA qualifiers.  Both times were because of poor play and left me in a weird position. Both qualifiers I was paired in  twosome. 

The first time I got to the third tee of my second round only to see my competitor walking back towards #2 tee. I asked where he was going and he shouted back sorry I'm done. So I was left without a marker and this was before cell phones were ubiquitous. I found a guy on a cart and asked him to go back to the scoring area and get an official.  While doing so the threesome behind played on. I ended up playing as  onesome with a marker waiting on the threesome every shot.

The most recent my competitor quit on #12 leaving me to play #13 with a marker and busting up the threesome in front. So his quitting affected not only me, as he was my marker, but also the threesome as they had to break up and one had to hold back and wait for me on 14 tee. 

I hold a negative view of quitting for any reason other than true injury or family emergency. I don't see where your reason for quitting is acceptable to leave your fellow competitors in the lurch. 

That's the million dollar question, if you were in contention to win, would you have let the jerk push you into quitting or would you have played through it?  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

To those who are fine with the quitting, would you be fine with the PGA pros quitting as soon as they realize they are not going to make the cut?

• Upvote 2

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

9 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

To those who are fine with the quitting, would you be fine with the PGA pros quitting as soon as they realize they are not going to make the cut?

Sure.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Why didn't you just tell him to shut up? Mabye in a more diplomatic way, but you have a right to enjoy your round, and it sounds like this guy was making it impossible. I played with a guy that said he hated yankees ( l'm from Mass,. another guy was from NH). He was going on and on about the Civil War. We told him to shut up, and play golf. Sometimes you can't be subtle.

11 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

No. You should finish out unless there is a medical reason. Also, you are scoring for your playing partner. I'm not sure what they do when someone leaves for injury, but walking off is not professional. 

• Upvote 1

- Shane

23 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Sure.

How about the baseball team quitting when it is 10 runs down in the 7th?

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

1 minute ago, 14ledo81 said:

I think we're in the same side of the argument here, but this analogy doesn't really work.  There are only two teams involved, so once one were to quit, the other team wins the game.  They aren't really missing out on anything other than running up the score.

Now if you're talking about at a higher level, where there are paying customers involved, then I get your point.  I haven't ever heard of that in baseball, however, towards your point, this just happened today: http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/17777463/nick-kyrgios-booed-lack-effort-shanghai-masters-loss

8 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I think we're in the same side of the argument here, but this analogy doesn't really work.  There are only two teams involved, so once one were to quit, the other team wins the game.  They aren't really missing out on anything other than running up the score.

Now if you're talking about at a higher level, where there are paying customers involved, then I get your point.  I haven't ever heard of that in baseball, however, towards your point, this just happened today: http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/17777463/nick-kyrgios-booed-lack-effort-shanghai-masters-loss

While I agree the analogy does not 100% work for the winning side, I do believe it works to match the mindset of the loser.

I am certain there are many times in sports when an individual (or team) wants to quit because they are not playing well.  I think that is just part of it.

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

2 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

Now you are reaching. One person quitting =/= an entire team quitting. However, I'm a Reds and Bengals fan, so there have been plenty of times I wish they would just quit they are getting whooped on. 

How is it any of our place to tell someone they have to keep playing a round golf if they aren't enjoying it?

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 2776 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!