IGNORED

Has the Elimination of Solo Rounds Affected Your Handicap?

bkuehn1952
Note:Β This thread is 1748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Has the Elimination of Solo Rounds Affected Your Handicap?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What effect, if any, has eliminating posting solo rounds had on your index?

• Don't know, don't care
    • My index is a bit higher
    • My index is a bit lower
    • No effect
    • Something else, please explain

5 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Its not a playing rule, its an administrative one. Meant to serve god knows who.

My understanding is that it primarily serves to bring the US and European handicapping systems into better alignment (leading up to an eventual combination). That's all.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People fail to follow the rules when playing with others as much as they do when playing alone. Β At its lowest level, it's about personal integrity and someone that sand bags or vanity caps will do soΒ alone or with others.

Unless it's a tournament or we're playing for money I will never call out a golfer for breaking the rules and I don't stand over them to make sure they enter the proper score into the course handicap computer. Β 

Joe Paradiso

1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

People fail to follow the rules when playing with others as much as they do when playing alone. Β At its lowest level, it's about personal integrity and someone that sand bags or vanity caps will do soΒ alone or with others.

Unless it's a tournament or we're playing for money I will never call out a golfer for breaking the rules and I don't stand over them to make sure they enter the proper score into the course handicap computer. Β 

Thats what I'm saying. What difference does it make? Some guy playing with a foursome every time is just as capable of lying about his index as somebody who plays most of his golf alone.Β 

30 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

People fail to follow the rules when playing with others as much as they do when playing alone. Β 

Absolutely true in my experience.Β The most common I see is the gimme putt. When I play alone I never do that.Β 

Β 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Its not a playing rule, its an administrative one. Meant to serve god knows who. Maybe some bitter guy who got pissed that some dude sandbagged his handicap and won the C flight at his club championship.Β MyΒ index is more or less meaningless toΒ me. I only compete in gross tournaments. Over half of the golf i play a year are tournament rounds, anyway.Β 

That's just more justifying your disobeying of the rules.

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Thats what I'm saying. What difference does it make? Some guy playing with a foursome every time is just as capable of lying about his index as somebody who plays most of his golf alone.Β 

What difference does it make if I nudge my ball over this way a little? What difference does it make if I give myself this three-footer? What difference does it make if I just change my mind and call this a practice round after a front-nine 41?Rationalize and justify all you want. The facts are clear, and simple.

If it makes no difference, @Groucho Valentine, why not just follow the rules? Why do youΒ haveΒ to post your solo rounds? If it makes no difference?

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

That's just more justifying your disobeying of the rules.

What difference does it make if I nudge my ball over this way a little? What difference does it make if I give myself this three-footer? What difference does it make if I just change my mind and call this a practice round after a front-nine 41?Rationalize and justify all you want. The facts are clear, and simple.

If it makes no difference, @Groucho Valentine, why not just follow the rules? Why do youΒ haveΒ to post your solo rounds? If it makes no difference?

Β Those are two things are not the same.Β 

At all.

• Administrator
Just now, Groucho Valentine said:

Those are two things are not the same.

Whatever you have to tell yourself…

If it doesn't matter, why not just follow the rules?

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Whatever you have to tell yourself…

If it doesn't matter, why not just follow the rules?

Because its meaningless and adds no value to the handicap system that wasn't there before. Its just an annoyance.Β 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Because its meaningless and adds no value to the handicap system that wasn't there before. Its just an annoyance.Β 

:doh:

8 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

That is not your call to make-Just like every other rule.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I keep my GHINΒ handicap per the rules, and have one on US Handicap.comΒ that I post all rounds to, solo or not. I mainly do this to keep track of my stats. I'm the guy in the group that usually has a pretty full scorecard when its done based on FIR GIR and Putts. The two indexes are .2 different from each other, so its not a huge difference. This year was different, as I noticed there are only 10 9 hole scores that I played solo. Everything else was with another friendΒ so it was legit. I have 92 rounds logged on GHIN and 97 total on USHandicap.

Β 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check outΒ Evolvr

:callaway:Β Rogue ST 10.5* |Β :callaway:Β Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade:Β P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist:Β 716Β AP2Β | Β :edel:Β Wedges 50/54/68 |Β :edel:Β Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67Β (18 holes),Β 32Β (9 holes)

8 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

With that one it is.Β 

No.-It is not.

Your behavior is now that of a troll.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

Enough, @Groucho Valentine.

You're inΒ the wrong here, and there's no question about it.

Back to the topic at hand: answering the question ofΒ whetherΒ the change in the rules re: posting rounds has affected your handicap.

Back to the topic, I voted that I am not sure. Β  Earlier this year when I played a lot more I was beating my handicap more than 50% of the time, so I definitely feel like it helped me game the system. Β  Now that I can only play once per week for the time being, it's cutting the other way. Β  I spend several holes struggling until I hit my stride and shoot what was normal months ago. Β Frustrating being +6 or +7 over the first 5-6 holes and then being +2 or so the rest of the holes. Β  And if I am having an off day then I am no where near my handicap and would lose all ways.

As a golfer I feel obligated to follow the rules and not post, so I keep it myself separately (or was, I fell off tracking it). But I certainly don't have to like it.

β€”Adam

Β 

I would expect the rule change to have minimal effect on handicap unless someone had difficulty playing golf with others and did better when they were on their own. Β 

. Β 

Joe Paradiso

Note:Β This thread is 1748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!