IGNORED

Has the Elimination of Solo Rounds Affected Your Handicap?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 1752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has the Elimination of Solo Rounds Affected Your Handicap?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What effect, if any, has eliminating posting solo rounds had on your index?

• Don't know, don't care
    • My index is a bit higher
    • My index is a bit lower
    • No effect
    • Something else, please explain

I post scores, including solo rounds, to a website that calculates an unofficial handicap.  They use the USGA formula but it does not qualify as a "club" so the index is not official.  I also post rounds that qualify for posting to our state association and have an official USGA handicap.  The current official index is 8.2 while my unofficial one is 6.7.  I play a fair number of solo rounds when I can't rope someone into playing or no one is available to join at the course.  I play by the Rules or, if I am practicing, I don't post in either venue.

For me, the solo posting ban has keep my index a bit higher.  All year I have sort of eyeballed the difference.  At times the difference has been negligible and rarely more than a couple 10th's off. After Labor Day my solo round percentage increases as fewer friends want to play in blustery weather or are busy with other activities.  The gap has widened.

My guess is that the difference exists now because when I play in the summer, many times it is a competition at a more difficult venue.  My solo play tends to be on more user friendly courses.  While the rating and slope is supposed to take into account the differences, the system is not perfect and I am also intimately familiar with the "friendly" courses.  Finally, clearly I don't have ice water in my veins and competitive nerves probably takes its toll at times.

Anyone else have any observations to share?

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

None.  I almost never play alone.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted higher. For example, I shot a 41 (one of my best scores for 9) the other day that I was unable to post. I'm starting to see how it might be true that playing with others tends to affect my score for the worse, if anything, and thus I'm not really upset about the change anymore. I might just start keeping an unofficial handicap as well so I can see what it would be including solo rounds.  I like the challenge of trying to get it lower and lower but I tend to play a lot of solo rounds last minute after work so they don't contribute to that effort as it is now, other than being practice for my rounds that count.

Edited by drmevo

It's really hard for me to give a definitive answer here. My index has gone down this year, which could be because I'm not posting solo rounds or it could be because my swing has evolved to a point where I just score better. I'm leaning more towards just that my swing is better. However, I tend to have more blow up holes when playing alone because I get in my own head when I don't have someone with me. I think everyone one of my best rounds was when I was playing with other people.

4 minutes ago, drmevo said:

I voted higher. For example, I shot a 41 (one of my best scores for 9) the other day that I was unable to post. I'm starting to see how it might be true that playing with others tends to affect my score for the worse, if anything, and thus I'm not really upset about the change anymore.

I thought that would be the case for me but it actually seems to be opposite. 

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

8 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

It's really hard for me to give a definitive answer here. My index has gone down this year, which could be because I'm not posting solo rounds or it could be because my swing has evolved to a point where I just score better. I'm leaning more towards just that my swing is better. However, I tend to have more blow up holes when playing alone because I get in my own head when I don't have someone with me. I think everyone one of my best rounds was when I was playing with other people.

I thought that would be the case for me but it actually seems to be opposite. 

Very interesting. My blow-ups are definitely worse when I play with other people. One really bad shot and I don't know if it's the embarrassment or what, but I struggle to recover, especially if it involves OB or a hazard. It's like I can't think straight.

When I'm by myself I seem to be able to talk myself back into the right mindset, and I make better choices and shots after a mistake.

Edited by drmevo

I voted a bit lower, but I could have easily voted no change because I have not played any solo rounds this year and it has dropped because of better play in general. Not sure if company or no company would affect it.

Vishal S.

3 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Very interesting. My blow-ups are definitely worse when I play with other people. Once really bad shot and I don't know if it's the embarrassment or what, but I struggle to recover, especially if it involves OB or a hazard. It's like I can't think straight.

When I'm by myself I seem to be able to talk myself back into the right mindset, and I make better choices and shots after a mistake.

We seem to have the exact opposite frame of mind in those situations. I think part of it is when I play with others,I see them hit bad shots too, which helps me keep my bad shots more in perspective. However, I don't even necessarily need to have someone playing with me to help keep more even. I've had my youngest daughter come along several times this year, and just having her to talk to and joke with has almost always had a positive impact on my mood ,and coincidentally,  my score.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

29 minutes ago, David in FL said:

None.  I almost never play alone.

I played nine holes early one morning about two years ago by myself - and that was the last time I've played a solo round.  (Might also have been the only time.)

Who knows and I'm increasingly caring less. One thing is for sure, my handicap has moved very little either way this year. With more than 60% of my rounds solo, the rule may have something to do with it.

It has sort of changed my attitude towards HI in general. It used to sort of be a measurement. Now it's just a number that sorts out the few club competitions I involve myself in.

10 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

We seem to have the exact opposite frame of mind in those situations. I think part of it is when I play with others,I see them hit bad shots too, which helps me keep my bad shots more in perspective. However, I don't even necessarily need to have someone playing with me to help keep more even. I've had my youngest daughter come along several times this year, and just having her to talk to and joke with has almost always had a positive impact on my mood ,and coincidentally,  my score.

And, oddly enough, I guess you can post those scores right? 

1 minute ago, drmevo said:

And, oddly enough, I guess you can post those scores right? 

Yes, from how it was explained to me, I can.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

27 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Very interesting. My blow-ups are definitely worse when I play with other people. One really bad shot and I don't know if it's the embarrassment or what, but I struggle to recover, especially if it involves OB or a hazard. It's like I can't think straight.

This happens to me as well.  However I can have some pretty dire blow-ups playing alone as well.   Just fewer.

I voted "Something else".   Basically I don't know because I let my own tracking go and didn't keep up with it.   I play a lot late on weekends and used to play on Wednesday mornings and people are rarely around.   I think the rule change sucks because if the intent is to prevent cheating then cheaters will find another way.

Someone also responded that this is part of a step to converge handicap systems and have one global standard.   That may be, but I think it's a mistake.   Plenty of pitfalls playing by yourself as well and I think that solo rounds should count, IMO.

—Adam

W/ re: to the elimination of solo rounds, why would anyone lie about having lower scores anyway? Vanity? I thought the problem with handicaps was "sandbagging".   

I have not played as much golf this season as I did in 2015 but my index has not changed that much by not recording my solo rounds.  I have added about a dozen scores to my index and could not enter another 4.  I do not think my handicap would change more than .5 either way, but to me it is still less accurate than including all my rounds.  The rules are the rules but I still do not like this one since it at least implies a certain inherent amount of dishonesty in golfers.  But in reality my handicap is still in the same ballpark.

1 minute ago, Kalnoky said:

W/ re: to the elimination of solo rounds, why would anyone lie about having lower scores anyway? Vanity? I thought the problem with handicaps was "sandbagging".   

Yupp, vanity cappers are very real. It is not a problem for others per say like sandbagging is since they only hurt themselves when they compete.  

Vishal S.

5 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I never play alone. There are always voices in my head. 

That's my problem, when I don't have others with me I hear that voice telling me "you suck" constantly. When others are with me then that voice get's drowned out :-)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

6 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

That's my problem, when I don't have others with me I hear that voice telling me "you suck" constantly. When others are with me then that voice get's drowned out :-)

The only sure fire bet to get the bad man to stop yelling at me is alcohol, but yes congenial company does help a bit.

Note: This thread is 1752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!