IGNORED

Tiger Woods Interview With Charlie Rose

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 2737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf Digest reported last Thursday about an interview between Charlie Rose and Tiger Woods. In it, Tiger said (1) he still expects to break Jack Nicklaus's records for major championship victories:

Rose: Do you believe you’ll get 18 majors?

Woods: To be honest with you, no.

Rose: You don’t?

Woods: No.

Rose: You’ve accepted that?

Woods: I’ve accepted I’m going to get more.

and (2) his only regret, looking back, is that he didn't stay at Stanford for one more year:

Rose: Some have said to be Tiger Woods was both a gift and a burden. How was it a burden?

Woods: Well, it’s a burden in the sense that it -- the amount of obligations that I have at a tournament. The anonymity that was lost that, you know, one -- the -- you know, if you look back, the only regret I have in life is not spending another year at Stanford, and I wish I would’ve had one more year.

Rose: That’s the only regret?

Woods: That’s the only regret, I wish I had.

Rose: Of all the things that’s happened to you?

Woods: All the things and that’s all --

Rose: Everything?

Woods: All the things I’ve been through are tough, yes. They’ve been tough, but they’ve been great for me, but I wish I would’ve gone one more year at Stanford.

Wow.

6 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

Golf Digest reported last Thursday about an interview between Charlie Rose and Tiger Woods. In it, Tiger said (1) he still expects to break Jack Nicklaus's records for major championship victories:

Rose: Do you believe you’ll get 18 majors?

Woods: To be honest with you, no.

Rose: You don’t?

Woods: No.

Rose: You’ve accepted that?

Woods: I’ve accepted I’m going to get more.

Don't get me wrong, I loved watching the old Tiger play, and I clearly think he's got the talent to do it, but his body holding up is his impediment. Gotta love his competitiveness and his confidence, but I just can't see that happening.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OP I wouldn't make too much of those interviews. It's not really a "wow" when you consider Rose was attempting to bring up garbage and Tiger just refused to go there. So good for him. 

That said I have always felt Tiger's biggest concern was his personal problems. They far outweigh his health and all the swing changes. Jack always had the family as a priority and it made a huge difference in a game that is so demanding mentally. 

19 hours ago, Lagavulin62 said:

OP I wouldn't make too much of those interviews. It's not really a "wow" when you consider Rose was attempting to bring up garbage and Tiger just refused to go there. So good for him. 

That said I have always felt Tiger's biggest concern was his personal problems. They far outweigh his health and all the swing changes. Jack always had the family as a priority and it made a huge difference in a game that is so demanding mentally. 

I saw the whole thing and changed my mind about reaching 18 comment. It was a calculated setup to his 'win more' statement. Kudos to the confidence (self-delusion??), but he came off less 'real' or mature than he could have with a statement like, "You never really know until you go for it. History says it's a tough hill to climb. But if I'm smart about my back, I could have a lot of years of play in Majors left and guys like Jack, Ray Floyd, and Tom Watson winning and coming close over 40 is motivating to me."

I don't think Rose was doing anything but his job in trying to generate a real conversation with a bit less image marketing. Tiger's a bit more genuine and unguarded than he used to be, but my impression was that he's only opened the door open a crack. He talked about his family breakup and 'mistakes', but not putting the dissolution of his family or just being in the position of having to explain it to his kids as his biggest regret really made my jaw drop. 2 more years at Stanford??

As I saw it, the general tone of Rose was seeking the personal reflection of a man in the middle of his life. Had he gained any equanimity / perspective / personal insights? I found Tiger's responses thin compared to what they could have been. But it's his choice how to answer in a public forum.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

12 hours ago, colin007 said:

Tiger's issues are tricky. Mainly, imho it involves Tigs not being able to bring his range swing to the tournament. 

His main issues the last eight years has been injuries.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

10 minutes ago, Zeph said:

His main issues the last eight years has been injuries.

Of course. I'm just saying that coming back, as long a he's healthy, it'll be bringing that smooth range swing to the course.

Colin P.

• Administrator

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/five-reasons-why-tiger-woods-regretting-not-staying-at-stanford-another-year-rings-hollow

None of the reasons actually speak to regretting not staying. He was mugged… in the fall of his first year, and yet stayed that year and the next. He made $43M upon turning pro… which would have probably still been there (or increased) in 1997, 1998… And the worst one, that he planned to leave for a few months in asking for the sponsor exemptions… so what? I know plenty of people who planned for things that they ultimately regretted.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 10/24/2016 at 6:37 PM, natureboy said:

I saw the whole thing and changed my mind about reaching 18 comment. It was a calculated setup to his 'win more' statement. Kudos to the confidence (self-delusion??), but he came off less 'real' or mature than he could have with a statement like, "You never really know until you go for it. History says it's a tough hill to climb. But if I'm smart about my back, I could have a lot of years of play in Majors left and guys like Jack, Ray Floyd, and Tom Watson winning and coming close over 40 is motivating to me."

I don't think Rose was doing anything but his job in trying to generate a real conversation with a bit less image marketing. Tiger's a bit more genuine and unguarded than he used to be, but my impression was that he's only opened the door open a crack. He talked about his family breakup and 'mistakes', but not putting the dissolution of his family or just being in the position of having to explain it to his kids as his biggest regret really made my jaw drop. 2 more years at Stanford??

As I saw it, the general tone of Rose was seeking the personal reflection of a man in the middle of his life. Had he gained any equanimity / perspective / personal insights? I found Tiger's responses thin compared to what they could have been. But it's his choice how to answer in a public forum.

Well said, sir! Tiger's "only" regret isn't running around on his wife and family? What a creep! A talented golfer for sure, but a complete creep as a human being!

2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well said, sir!

We can't know from statements in public media how he actually feels, though.

I'd tend to agree with some golf writers who described him as 'poorly stage managed' (by his management team) with talking points and responses crafted to reduce chances of unflattering headlines. I think he could have kept it short and simple, but still been more real with that question. Something like, "I wish for the sake of my family I hadn't been a stupid, reckless kid." Then he could have closed the topic and segued into the Stanford thing with, "I also regret..."

I would tend to doubt he actually views missing 2 years at Stanford as his greatest regret since he describes his ex as one of his best friends now, but if so, he didn't learn a whole lot from the ordeal.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator
14 hours ago, natureboy said:

I would tend to doubt he actually views missing 2 years at Stanford as his greatest regret since he describes his ex as one of his best friends now, but if so, he didn't learn a whole lot from the ordeal.

If he's best friends with his ex-wife, what's to regret about that?

I've known people who are not good as husband-wife but who are good as friends, raising their kids. Maybe this is the best relationship they could have?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

If he's best friends with his ex-wife, what's to regret about that?

I've known people who are not good as husband-wife but who are good as friends, raising their kids. Maybe this is the best relationship they could have?

I think that's great. But you don't think that might have been a worthwhile goal while still married? If he had found that friendship earlier how many more happy years might he have had? It's the proverbial "If I knew then what I know now..."

I'm glad for him (and his kids and ex) that he's gotten there in the end, but saying his past issues were necessary to achieve this relationship - that there was no other possible path comes off as disingenuous spin IMO or cognitive dissonance if he really believes it. It's great to make some lemonade out of lemons, but wouldn't a nice sweet orange have been better?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I think that's great. But you don't think that might have been a worthwhile goal while still married?

I didn't say that. I'm simply saying some people are better off as friends, and if they are, I can see how he might not regret getting divorced and getting to where they are now.

I've said before, too, that you're all assuming a lot of things about his marriage. For all we know, she was aware of the stuff he was doing and was okay with it. I've known women married to wealthy men who are content to live a life of luxury and are fully aware of the mistresses, etc. So long as they aren't personally affected by it, they look the other way.

Was that Tiger's situation? No idea.

All I'm saying is that I can see how he might not list that as a big regret.

And, though I don't think this applies to him at all, I've known people who have overcome addictions or problems or whatever, and they end up not regretting the time they were hooked on pills or booze or whatever, but being grateful that they went through the process, recovered, and now have a grander, better outlook on life. Many have taken a personal tragedy or addiction and turned into a better thing: they start a foundation to help veterans and don't regret losing both legs to an IED, or they get into grief counseling, or addiction help, or whatever. Basically, if people can grow and learn and mature and ultimately turn lemons into lemonade, it's tough to actually "regret" that thing.

Again, I'm not saying that applies to him. For all we know, what he really wanted to say was "I regret getting caught."

And with that, I've exhausted how much I care about Tiger Woods away from the golf course.

39 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I'm glad for him (and his kids and ex) that he's gotten there in the end, but saying his past issues were necessary to achieve this relationship - that there was no other possible path comes off as disingenuous spin IMO or cognitive dissonance if he really believes it. It's great to make some lemonade out of lemons, but wouldn't a nice sweet orange have been better?

Did he say that? Because I sure as heck didn't.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did he say that? Because I sure as heck didn't.

Fair enough. Possibly implying would be more accurate.

Yes it's some supposition, but fleeing the house in the middle of the night after the cell conversations were discovered doesn't jibe with a consenting spouse to me.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

4 hours ago, natureboy said:

Fair enough. Possibly implying would be more accurate.

Yes it's some supposition, but fleeing the house in the middle of the night after the cell conversations were discovered doesn't jibe with a consenting spouse to me.

Good point. Anybody remember the leaked voice mail where Tiger needed a "big favor" since his wife had gotten into his phone? Sounds like she got suspicious and checked his stuff out. Then he crashed the Escalade into a hydrant after wifey supposedly lumped him up with a sand wedge or something!

Look, it seems like everything is turning out all right, and that's good for all involved, especially the kids. Of course, hundreds of millions of dollars and never having to worry about money for the rest of your life is a significant balm.

And FWIW, I hope Tiger comes back to the Tour, well, I was going to say as strong as ever, but will amend that to say as strong as he can be. Pro golf was pretty exciting with him around. That being said, there was nothing wrong with this past season. I saw some otherworldly golf being played which, I believe, is one of the reasons Tiger decided to postpone his comeback. He saw it too, and knows he has his work cut out for him!

Note: This thread is 2737 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!