IGNORED

Tee shot yips

Ks golf
Note: This thread is 2715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the past three weeks, my tee shots have looked like that of a 30 handicapper. It doesn't matter if it's a driver or a wood or even an iron in hand(at times), my tee shots are wild and unpredictable to an alarming degree. 

On the range, it's very good. I can play target golf off the tee and it's pretty good. On the course, I can't  seem to hit any tee shot. Tops, slices , hooks, everything is happening.

Please help, the frustration is seeping everywhere. 

Are you picking a target off the tee, checking your alignment to that target and then playing your shot? or are you just walking up to it, looking down the fairway and then swinging?

also are you trying to cruch every tee shot, whereas on the range you may not be?

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

11 minutes ago, carpediem4300 said:

Are you picking a target off the tee, checking your alignment to that target and then playing your shot? or are you just walking up to it, looking down the fairway and then swinging?

also are you trying to cruch every tee shot, whereas on the range you may not be?

Taking a target, checking the alignment and changing the target from time to time on the range. Almost all going where I want them to go . Same pre shot routine on the course, ball going everywhere. 

Nah, not trying to crush every shot. 

Which is why I know the problem is starting mentally and then seeping into the mechanics. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like it could be nerves then perhaps? I've had many rounds where i warm up on the range and my driver is sweet as a nut, first tee and the ones after all hell breaks loose

If anyone else chimes in with a solution i'll be watching avidly!

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Does it happen on all of your tee shots or just certain ones?  I have problems on a few holes at my home course where I struggle off the tee.  I'm not sure if it's yips or just not being comfortable with how thing looks from the tee box.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Does it happen on all of your tee shots or just certain ones?  I have problems on a few holes at my home course where I struggle off the tee.  I'm not sure if it's yips or just not being comfortable with how thing looks from the tee box.  

We all have those "bogey" holes that trouble us, but for the past two-three weeks it's happening on almost every tee shot. But only on the course. And the missses are what you expect of a complete beginner. It's truly frustrating because it's not a technical issue that I can work on.

Tomorrow I am going to go on the course with the simple thought of swing freely ala on the range. Hopefully it works. 

It allowing bad golf to ruin my whole day, mostly because I don't know what to do. 

I understand. It happens to me. But, it is what golf is about. You have to control yourself, relax and don´t get tense. It looks easy, but it is not. In the first tee, I am not doing a lot of things that I do when I am on the range, is something that I am trying to improve. Keep working---!

:nike:

Played nine holes, two of them were ok because the misses on them were of a familiar pattern, the rest of the misses were like the ones when I started playing.

So at least a little better than the past week, when everything was shambolic of the tee.

I have have a feeling when I overcome this, my level will be better than before. Also making sure I do not let the frustration of today seep into beyond golf. Other than that, all I can do is keep going on. 

On 11/4/2016 at 2:40 AM, Ks golf said:

For the past three weeks, my tee shots have looked like that of a 30 handicapper. It doesn't matter if it's a driver or a wood or even an iron in hand(at times), my tee shots are wild and unpredictable to an alarming degree. 

On the range, it's very good. I can play target golf off the tee and it's pretty good. On the course, I can't  seem to hit any tee shot. Tops, slices , hooks, everything is happening.

Please help, the frustration is seeping everywhere. 

I've experienced the same.  It's nerves and there is no easy solution. For me practicing all drives the night before would only help a little. Perhaps play more "real golf" and less range since that's where the issue is

An idea I never put in to play - but still think about;

Go sign up as a single over and over and purposely put yourself info a high pressure situation. Do it so often until the embarrassment and worry about flubbing a shot wears off.

I've always been fascinated by NFL kickers. I can imagine they'd have no fear in the simple game of golf.

http://mynorthwest.com/4965/how-seahawks-kicker-hauschka-stays-calm-under-pressure/

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Golf is not a Game of Perfect was written by Dr.Bob Rotella. In the book he really stresses some key concepts that he has used with tour players he has consulted with. One of the things he really stresses is to visualize the target in your mind especially when on the tee. He talks about a basketball player taking a free throw and all that is on his mind is his target, not mechanics. It's a good read that I refer to time to time really enforcing that a few lapses of concentration can really cost you in a round. 

My advice is to concentrate on having fun and letting go of the results.  When I am playing well I have very simple swing thoughts that concentrate on tempo. Under pressure, I tend to lose it and then get all out of sync. I used to play with a pro that would sing to himself when he wanted to be smooth. I recall one day he busted out the Brady Bunch theme song. It was kind of funny, but when he would pipe one down the fairway, we would just bust out laughing. I think he sang himself to a 68 that day! 

Edited by TourSpoon

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Some say, at its core, it is a self-esteem issue. I've got a putting yips issue -- doesn't happen playing with my kids, but for some reason, I worry about people who don't care if I make the putt, and only want others to play fast.

Bought a heavier putter as a band-aid until I work on the mental issue. Just remember, your self-worth is not dependent on a drive. It's a game, and you are the only one who cares.

We all run into crap during our lives. I've noticed that the yips have gotten worse as I beat myself up for various events outside of my control that have occured over the past couple of years. For example, I think, "what could I have done to prevent an illness, an impending death." I realize that I did communicate and attempt to help but they did not take my counsel. Still, I beat myself up. That, and other issues that you allow to accumulate. I'm aware of it, but it's a work in progress.

You've got to be extremely confident and assured to play golf. It is a tough game. When you get up to the ball stay strong and confident.

You might attempt to find whatever issues -- or be aware of it. meanwhile, I am getting out my self-esteem workbook... :-)

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 2 weeks later...

So I've worked really hard and finally I feel as if  the tide is turning. I am now turning better through the ball, the backswing is also looking better. My swing thought ahas completely changed for though. 

But I feel this setback was for the better because this has now forced me to take more care in my alignment, my stance and my ball position and the rest of my setup. 

Note: This thread is 2715 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!