IGNORED

Breaking 80 Thread

Hazsa
Note: This thread is 1598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, Lihu said:

I've never had this happen, but once you shoot a sub-80 score I'm sure their impression will change for the better. :-)

that or..."what in the hell is HE doing up here?"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

that or..."what in the hell is HE doing up here?"

LOL. Once I played from the 6000 yard ladies tees, and the ladies were laughing with (at) me as we played. Once I started making birdies, they realized that it was all for the better. One of them tried to make me move back at the turn. The group in front of us possibly thought I was a lady golfer who occasionally drove short par 4 greens. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

LOL. Once I played from the 6000 yard ladies tees, and the ladies were laughing with (at) me as we played. Once I started making birdies, they realized that it was all for the better. One of them tried to make me move back at the turn. The group in front of us possibly thought I was a lady golfer who occasionally drove short par 4 greens. :-D

were you wearing "knickers"? which begs the question - "Were they?"  (I do not believe I just said that, forgive me ladies)

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Just now, Hacker James said:

were you wearing "knickers"?

No, but I have this hat that makes me look like an old English lady. It's the $15 brown wide brimmed hat from Costco. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

One particular range has mirrors for you to practice while hitting. I went there and dragged the mirror to my stall. Seemed to work out. Now, since I was slightly facing down it was kind of difficult to see the entire swing as it was a flat mirror and I'd have to look up a bit to see my swing. . .not easy.

So, next time there I decided to use one from one of my "experiments" at work. https://www.uline.com/BL_3895/Convex-Safety-Mirrors

The 12" mirror fits into the shoe compartment of my bag and was not that bad to carry. I leaned it against the ball tray and some stuff from my bag. While the image is somewhat distorted, you mark key positions by marking up the mirror with an Expo (white board marker). Going to design some frames for it in the near future and publish when ready. . .The main thing it's good for is to prevent over swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2016 at 11:46 AM, iacas said:

Generally speaking, to break 80, you have to hit about 8 greens per round and hit about 14 nGIR.

• 8 GIR = perhaps -1 or -2.
  • 6 nGIR = about +4.
  • 4 non-nGIR = +5 or so.

That's 79 or 80 on a par 72.

So, as always, look at your ballstriking first. Is it getting you 14 GIR+nGIR?

@iacas Im getting closer. My problem is the little 40 and 50 yd chips that i have on the super long holes.I will fat/thin those shots a lot and if I do hit it on the green im so tentative that I have a super long putt.   Im hovering around 85 and had a great 84 the other day. Had 79 in the bag but a chunked shot blew a hole up and it was over. Gotta get that short game under control badly. I will take any secret you have very serious. Hit Em Good Yall !!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

Im right here with all of you. Im consistently in the mid 80's and always find two or three holes where I lost it . Im getting closer and thats cool. Sunday I played 36 (both courses) and had an 85 and then an 84. That was the best day Ive ever had. I totally agree with the long game/ballstriking being key. The chunks and missed putts are fixable. I think that 79 is coming with a bit of short game practice and being confident with a wedge in my hand. Hit Em Good Yall !!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

• 2 months later...

Shot 79!!! :-)

Should probably get a qualification out of the way before I go into detail about how brilliant I am... It was a par 69 course, temporary forward tees on several of the holes, and preferred lies. However, it was wet underfoot and quite windy so I think it balanced out.

I shot 37 going out (par 35), among the best 9 holes of my life. I birdied both par 5s, and it could have been even better if I hadnt 3 putted on a par 3 from 20 feet. 

I shot 42 coming in (par 34), so really nothing special. I had my one double of the round, which was actually a triple. Instead of hitting sideways and taking my medicine I kept trying to hit a miracle shot. Really disappointed with that hole. I also 3 putted on the 16th and 18th from no more than 25 feet so I left quite a few shots out there on the back 9 (36 putts in total).

Ive made a couple of minor tweaks, (with the aid of a coach) to my swing over the winter with the aim of improving ball striking. I've not seen drastic improvement in numbers because it's taken a while to get used to, but today it started to come togtether. I only hit one really errant drive, and for the first time ever I feel really confident shooting at the pin from 140 and in. 

I don't want to tempt fate, but I'm quietly confident that with the odd lesson I'm having and more focused practice, I can get my hc into single figures by summer.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Hazsa said:

Should probably get a qualification out of the way before I go into detail about how brilliant I am... It was a par 69 course, temporary forward tees on several of the holes, and preferred lies. However, it was wet underfoot and quite windy so I think it balanced out.

I shot 37 going out (par 35), among the best 9 holes of my life. I birdied both par 5s, and it could have been even better if I hadnt 3 putted on a par 3 from 20 feet. 

I shot 42 coming in (par 34), so really nothing special. I had my one double of the round, which was actually a triple. Instead of hitting sideways and taking my medicine I kept trying to hit a miracle shot. Really disappointed with that hole. I also 3 putted on the 16th and 18th from no more than 25 feet so I left quite a few shots out there on the back 9 (36 putts in total).

Ive made a couple of minor tweaks, (with the aid of a coach) to my swing over the winter with the aim of improving ball striking. I've not seen drastic improvement in numbers because it's taken a while to get used to, but today it started to come togtether. I only hit one really errant drive, and for the first time ever I feel really confident shooting at the pin from 140 and in. 

I don't want to tempt fate, but I'm quietly confident that with the odd lesson I'm having and more focused practice, I can get my hc into single figures by summer.

Nice job! Doesn't matter how you did it. You still broke 80!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I remember breaking 80 for the first time almost 50 years ago. Last year I broke 80 a half dozen times out of about 45 rounds. As I age and my distance decreases, I have found that by working on my short game I have been able to keep my scores consistently in the 78-85 range. It all comes down to how many times I get up and down as to whether I break that magic 80 mark.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

On 11/27/2016 at 4:16 PM, Lihu said:

6,000 yards seems pretty long for ladies' tees.   On the two courses I usually play, on one the ladies' tees measure out at 4,800 yards, and the other one the ladies' tees are 5,400 yards.   Then on a third one I play sometimes in Gainesville, the ladies' tees are again 4,800 yards. 

In 2012, according to the Source of All Knowledge (the internet) the average LPGA course was about 6,500 yards.  

Your ladies must be pretty stout. 

6 hours ago, Hazsa said:

You broke 80.  No ifs ands or buts.   It counts. 

(Of course, I say that because some day I will break 80 and I don't want anyone telling me I didn't "really" break 80.) 

Im currently playing regular golf again and my aim is to break 80 regularly ive done it once in the last 5 rounds (76) but mostly hit 85/89..off a 12 im not too disheartened but my aim over the next 12 to 18 months is get to single figure scoring..what do you guys practice most or work on,my putting is pretty solid its wedgeplay and GIR that needs work,too many back to fairway shots or unnecessary fat/thin shots adding the numbers up.

57 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

6,000 yards seems pretty long for ladies' tees.   On the two courses I usually play, on one the ladies' tees measure out at 4,800 yards, and the other one the ladies' tees are 5,400 yards.   Then on a third one I play sometimes in Gainesville, the ladies' tees are again 4,800 yards. 

In 2012, according to the Source of All Knowledge (the internet) the average LPGA course was about 6,500 yards.  

Your ladies must be pretty stout.

I didn't say they all make par, but yes, many of them are pretty long hitters.

Course 1 red tees 6000 yards. I've also seen a couple younger and stronger ladies playing the blue tees without any problems.

https://www.greenskeeper.org/southern_california/los_angeles/Brookside_Golf_Course_1/scorecard.cfm

Course 2 is more in line with "normal"

https://www.greenskeeper.org/southern_california/los_angeles/Brookside_Golf_Course_2/scorecard.cfm

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

One thing that helped me as I got better was to map out the hole an plan for every shot before I hit the first one rather than hit and chase. I play the same courses all the time and knowing my limitations I plan for the miss not the great shot which minimizes mistakes, also curbs unnecessary risk taking. I know where I am going to get looks at GIR and where I'm not and when not I don't push it. The goal is keep the bogeys in check and if it's better than that it's a bonus.

I work in groups of 3's and adjust as the score requires me to. If I am standing on the 3rd tee +3 due to bad play or bad luck I don't think get it back I think play smart be patient and wait for it to happen by slowing down. Tracking stats for 3 years or so has taught me that round to round the numbers are pretty consistent a couple bad holes early means the good holes are coming later.

Dave :-)

Shot 88 today (par 72) with five 3-putts, 39 putts in all! Played really well again with obvious exception of putting, there were a couple of differ chips in there too. I really should have shot something in the low 80s today, but I'm really excited about the progress I'm making tee to green.

@Daddycool_83, personally I've worked on having a reliable drive. I'm now of the opinion that I'd rather be 170 out and in the short stuff than 150 out having to do something funky. I've also worked on my wedge play. I've started choking down on the club and using shortened swings. I think there's a page on it in the Instruction Forum. I'm hitting birdies way more frequently on par 5s and short par 4s than I was last year.

16 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

Shot 88 today (par 72) with five 3-putts, 39 putts in all! Played really well again with obvious exception of putting, there were a couple of differ chips in there too. I really should have shot something in the low 80s today, but I'm really excited about the progress I'm making tee to green.

@Daddycool_83, personally I've worked on having a reliable drive. I'm now of the opinion that I'd rather be 170 out and in the short stuff than 150 out having to do something funky. I've also worked on my wedge play. I've started choking down on the club and using shortened swings. I think there's a page on it in the Instruction Forum. I'm hitting birdies way more frequently on par 5s and short par 4s than I was last year.

I think driving accuracy is a big one too as you said,I was trying to force shots last few rounds putting myself in trouble and having to play out sideways,and iron or 3 wood would have been better suited,course management is a big factor I think,although 3 of the last 4 courses ive played ide never played before.

• Upvote 1

Getting your long game in order is paramount to breaking 80.  You can't break 80 if you are constantly getting penalized for bad long game (e.g., OB - 2 strokes right there, hazard - one stroke, and putting yourself in a difficult situation due to faulty drive, etc.).

I don't care what others tell you as @iacas says repeatedly, having a good long game will reduce your score faster than the short game.

The amount of strokes saved by having a good long game can be as much as 5-10 strokes per round.  For example, if you are hitting one or two OB's per round (that's 4 strokes!) and a couple of hazards (2 strokes), then you are not going to break 80.

Sure having a good short game can save you some strokes, but it will not be as significant as having a good long game.

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1598 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!