IGNORED

Shriners Hospitals for Children Open

Natural Patrick
Note: This thread is 2698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can't believe nobody is watching this? The Shriners does a lot of great work for the kids. Great to see Russell Henley go low in the 3rd round with a 64. How about Pat Perez being away from the Tour for 7 months,and in contention in only his 2nd tournament since returning. Hope one of these 2 guys wins this thing.

My wife and I were there Friday, and Saturday. We had passes to the the Cox Communication hospitality tent. A great view of the 18th green, with free grub, and beverages. We walked a few holes. Saw some great golf shots. Recognized a few names of some of the golfers, but most, I had no idea who they were. 

That said, this particular golf tournament has always been a less than a top tier event. Sponsorship, has always been a problem. Just need to look at the different tournament  name changes over the years to see that. I read some where that 1st place was worth $1.2 million this year. Not to shabby I think. It just seems to have a low keyed golf atmosphere for a golf event. 

We have been going to this tournament for years, and it seems like every year there are less, and less aminities being offered to spectators. This year was no different. We did spin a wheel at the Top Golf tent and won 4 free beverages. Probably will never use those. 

There were a few more folks there Saturday, than there were on Friday. I suspect there will be a few more there Sunday. However, there seemed to be more event staff people running around in carts than spectators. 

It's still a good tournament to walk and follow the players. The Shriners' Hospital does great things for youngsters in need. Hopefully their proceeds from this event will be enough for their continued involvement. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We could have attended had we stayed a day or two longer, but we left on Wednesday. Come to think of it, the last tournament in Las Vegas that I attended was at the Desert Inn. I watched Chi Chi Rodriguez tee off on #1.  I remember standing above the crowd on a light post and I recall seeing a photo a few years ago of some one standing there. It may or not have been me as I do not recall the date. I was still in the US Navy at the time, so I must have been in my mid thirties. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I remember something years ago where a pga player complained about security issues as a reason for more top name players not attending this tournament. Mainly the complaint was about spectators with cameras, and cell phones. The following year you were almost strip search for electronic devices, at the entry gate. If you had a device, it was tagged and bagged. The owner was given a ticket to pick up their device when they exited the contest. There were also issues with folks watching the contest from their back yards basically having noisy tail gate parties. Some had cameras with telephoto lenses. There was a big stink in the local news papers about it. 

Other issues were last minute "no shows" by a few top 10 players. Fans bought tickets to see their guy play and he did not show up. I think Mickleson did this once or twice. I know Tiger Woods handlers turned down too small of an appearance fee for him to show up. 

Another issue was the the time of the year it has been held. It was part of the "silly season", and being played after the bigger names had shut down for the rest of their year. 

Still it's a decent place to spend a few days watching a few of the best of the best play golf. A little time spent searching can usually reward someone with comp tickets. I sometimes think Vegas is the comp ticket capitol of the world. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Hmm...I've never been to a PGA Tour event; this sounds like it might be perfect. Small crowds, no big names, and I can probably get comp tickets from my hotel.

Plus, Vegas weather is damn near perfect this time of year.

I might think about going next year.

- John

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

I always find it interesting in what some consider, certain players to Not be big name.

We know… you've discussed it here a few times. Your confusion seems to come from the fact that you can't seem to differentiate between "good talents" (i.e. they play on the PGA Tour) from "big names on the PGA Tour."

Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Rickie Fowler even… big names.

Rod Pampling, Kyle Stanley, Aaron Wise… big talents. Not big names.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
27 minutes ago, iacas said:

We know… you've discussed it here a few times. Your confusion seems to come from the fact that you can't seem to differentiate between "good talents" (i.e. they play on the PGA Tour) from "big names on the PGA Tour."

I think you are the one who is confused. Look at the field and tell me there are  no big names playing. 

Edited by Natural Patrick

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

Brooks Koepka, you Hardly hear anyone talk about him in todays PGA.:-D

Ernie Els, Davis Love, Vijay Singh.. Meh

Greame McDowell, Web Simpson,Ryan Moore,Jimmy Walker. I wonder what they have in common?

Billy Horschel Fed Ex cup is over rated.

If you have to ask what makes Keegan Bradley a name everyone knows. Then you must be newtogolf.

There are 10 players I just listed, and not a one of them a big name.:beer:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Natural Patrick said:

I think you are the one who is confused. Look at the field and tell me there are  no big names playing. 

I didn't talk about names in this tournament, just prior conversations with you about this.

Most people define a "big name" as someone that a non-golf fan would recognize or remembers hearing, or something close to that definition. Brooks Koepka doesn't meet that standard. Heck, many golfers don't even know who the guy is.

I never said Billy Horschel was "over-rated." I would say that he's not a big name, though. Non-golf fans don't know that he won the FedExCup.

Ryan Moore? You could show a bunch of non-golf fans this picture of him and tell them his name and ask them what his job is and they wouldn't know.

ryan-moore.jpg

I know who Ryan Moore is. I know about his amateur career, and his injuries, his successes on the PGA Tour, his history of sponsors (or going sponsor-less), and I talk to his brothers somewhat regularly. I even saw at least one episode of "Inside the PGA Tour" he hosted. But he's not a "big name."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

Brooks Koepka, you Hardly hear anyone talk about him in todays PGA.:-D

Ernie Els, Davis Love, Vijay Singh.. Meh

Greame McDowell, Web Simpson,Ryan Moore,Jimmy Walker. I wonder what they have in common?

Billy Horschel Fed Ex cup is over rated.

If you have to ask what makes Keegan Bradley a name everyone knows. Then you must be newtogolf.

There are 10 players I just listed, and not a one of them a big name.:beer:

I don't understand what any of these sentences mean. At first I thought they made sense, but upon a second reading I've concluded they just don't. Is it also a shot at @newtogolf?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Hopefully Aaron Wise will be a big name soon. Man he is good straight out of college. And im a Callaway Homer i guess, haha

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I didn't talk about names in this tournament, just prior conversations with you about this.

Most people define a "big name" as someone that a non-golf fan would recognize or remembers hearing, or something close to that definition. Brooks Koepka doesn't meet that standard. Heck, many golfers don't even know who the guy is.

I never said Billy Horschel was "over-rated." I would say that he's not a big name, though. Non-golf fans don't know that he won the FedExCup.

Ryan Moore? You could show a bunch of non-golf fans this picture of him and tell them his name and ask them what his job is and they wouldn't know.

ryan-moore.jpg

I know who Ryan Moore is. I know about his amateur career, and his injuries, his successes on the PGA Tour, his history of sponsors (or going sponsor-less), and I talk to his brothers somewhat regularly. I even saw at least one episode of "Inside the PGA Tour" he hosted. But he's not a "big name."

How many Non golf fans participate in this site?

I watched alot of those guys in college and other tours. I think everyone at this site are huge golf fans

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

How many Non golf fans participate in this site?

Nearly zero. Your point? Big is big. Just because you have a PGA Tour card doesn't mean you're big.

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Nearly zero. Your point? Big is big. Just because you have a PGA Tour card doesn't mean you're big.

Yeah...I'm not sure I'm following NaturalPatrick's logic...what does the amount of non-golfers on TST have to do with players having Big names on Tour?

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

What are the odds of the 10 million people that play golf make it to the PGA tour? Not that Big of deal really in the small scheme of things.;-)

4 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

What are the odds of the 10 million people that play golf make it to the PGA tour? Not that Big of deal really in the small scheme of things.;-)

No one said that being on tour wasn't a big deal...you were asserting that they all are big names...which isn't so

But this is all OT

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!