IGNORED

My Swing (Blackjack Don)

Blackjack Don
Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

I don't see an apology. But I don't expect one, either, and consider the bridge to be charred to a crisp.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you want to get better, I think you're in the right place.

Golf is so stupid hard, I can't really imagine having gotten where I am without this place.

Maybe in 10 years.

19 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

:hmm: Because I received a notification that I had been quoted?  

Or was that a koan?

Nice vocab word! I had to look that one up!:dance:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 3/3/2017 at 6:07 AM, Blackjack Don said:

That was a dumb comment by me. I don't know what I was thinking, or even if I was. (Legal substances here in Nevada do tend to work against thinking sometimes, than god.) Just dumb and regrettable. 

When 90% of a group thinks nothing should change, and that a shrinking base is not a problem, that's a place where my liberal, populist opinions aren't going to be, well, popular. I want to see more people playing this wonderful game. I remember when Bushwood was the rule, and the only minorities you'd see were carrying bags. But as long as I can find a place to play that I can afford, I'm going to keep playing because I love the game. Perhaps not all of the traditions, but still, the game is unique.

I am often wrong. I find I learn more when I'm wrong than when I'm right. I rarely learn anything when I'm right. I don't care about being right, just getting it right. Being wrong is on the way to getting it right.

Probably not a good idea to be posting on a blog hoping to get help with your swing while you are in this "condition". Then arguing on top of that?

You've kind of burned some bridges with a few of the instructors here.

On 3/2/2017 at 1:19 PM, Vinsk said:

Erik stated your comment about hitting a soft ball 250 sometimes but lucky to hit a ProV1 a buck fifty makes no sense. It doesn't. You're not a thorn. You have an audience. But this audience is not only here to listen and watch the show. We participate with debates including but not limited to: Opinions, facts, beliefs, jokes and sarcasm. Tally Ho!

I agree with @Vinsk that this makes no sense, you could even hit the worst range balls more than 200 yards if you are capable of averaging (see below) 250?

On 3/3/2017 at 6:35 AM, Blackjack Don said:

Why are you here?

Gator, that 30k to 60k. Is that for full time? I have been working on call, which is now no more than 30 hours a week, for three years. It's taken that long for my seniority to get high enough to bid for a full time shift. I have to go to swing shift from day shift, which is going to suck for me, except I'll have more time for golf. Is there any way I can prove my working class cred with you?

Finally, a big thank you and apology to Mike and Erik. I finally had another lesson with my pro, who is no longer our head pro but owes me another lesson, still. I had to drive two hours to get the third of the four, but it was worth the trip. You were right. He finally got me to stop sliding my hips. I didn't get it. Now, I do. Lots of drilling. I hit a driver on one hole 294, which is pretty good for an old man, I think. My average drive is around 250. I'm hitting all my clubs better, but as everyone knows, I'm mostly stuck on the driver.

Turning my hips is now my numero uno priority. It's nice to finally understand. I'm sorry I didn't understand what you were saying. It took more than an hour, and a stick in the ground for me to really get it. Thanks for the effort.

Then you shouldn't be talking about teeing off from 200 right? If you are really capable of averaging 250, then even with the worst technique you'd still be averaging 220 or close to it.

Why are you even proposing: teeing off from 200; playing only certain balls or playing the course as a par 90?

Hit a driver 294 on a hole without car path bounce or anything like that? That's good for anyone let alone an "old man". :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Not up to me to comment on the hurt feelings of "some of the instructors." I never intended to insult anyone. Just trying to become a decent golfer.

On 3/5/2017 at 10:34 AM, Lihu said:

Why are you even proposing: teeing off from 200; playing only certain balls or playing the course as a par 90

Hit a driver 294 on a hole without car path bounce or anything like that? That's good for anyone let alone an "old man". :-D

I see lots of people struggle off the tee. I have had more troubles than most. I love playing golf, but a driver like mine has been extremely frustrating. Getting a swing in as short a time as I could has been a pretty slow process, by my standards. That has more to do with how hard it is to hit a golf ball. I have no argument with anyone about how hard it is. I've put in hundreds of hours on this journey, process, path--whatever you want to call it since June '16.

Hell, it's been as hard for me as having a baby! :LOL:

But the good news is I'll probably not go back to what I was doing. I have (or am getting, finally) my driver problems sorted out. I shot a solid 97 on Wed and was quite proud of it. My first drive split the middle. I lost it in the middle, but got my swing thoughts sorted out and banged out several in the fairway, from 240 to 279, probably averaging 250. (Keep forgetting to TAP!, dammit.) By my Garmin S2. Couldn't hit a chip/pitch to save my life, and spent four strokes going from trap to trap. I could have easily saved a half dozen strokes, and I will.

The hip turn tip did the trick. I have practiced it enough now to have solved that problem. My two swing thoughts now are don't cross the line at the top, and left wrist leading. When my left wrist breaks down, Fore RIGHT!  But I am feeling more confident than ever I'm going to break 90--legitimately, following the rules as I know them--very soon. This is what it's all about, and why I was looking for a way to play, eliminating the source of my problems.

Now that I've got the swing nearly sorted out, I'll happily go back to the tee box, as I did on my last round.

I'm just trying to enjoy the game. Not spread misery. Why would anyone do that? I get enough pleasure in my life as it is. I'm okay, and hope you are, too, all of you. Especially my fellow jerks.

:whistle:

I was seriously considering joining evolvr, but don't figure pyromaniacal students would be welcome. Burning bridges. Who knew how easy it could be! 

PS--Right now, I've got way too much going on to comment on any other subjects. Everyone knows which side I support.

PSS-Eric, I was a reporter. I still think like a reporter. I ask a lot of questions, some of them are uncomfortable. It's how I gain information, knowledge, and understanding. A reporter's curiosity is relentless, and doesn't take anything at face value. Be glad I'm not interviewing you for the Golf Channel. (Oh, wait, they don't have reporters at the Golf Channel!) lol

Wayne

• Administrator

@Blackjack Don, leave me out of everything, and good luck with the victim playing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

On Thursday, I shot an 86 at the muni. No blowup holes, no triple or quadruple bogies. Even left a few shots out there, mostly pitches. Could have been low 80's easily. My driver has begun to work. I hit a lot of fairways, no monster slices. My putting was as good as I can do it. I achieved the goal I set out to accomplish last June. I can play a round of golf as a golfer. Still a hacker, but I can laugh at my misses, flubs, and goof-ups. Golf isn't going to kill me anymore. 

Many thanks to the Sand Trap for advice and tolerance.

Best wishes.

Wayne

• 4 months later...

It's been awhile since I posted a swing video. I've been working at it all summer. I'm okay with where I'm at now. Open to comments and suggestions.  Thanks, Don

Wayne

• Administrator

Turn. Don't sway.

IMG_3556.PNG

Thanks again. Many thanks, actually. I have spent a lot of time since your instruction looking at videos, as well as my own. Yep, there's swaying there.

A question, if you please? Does the forward weight shift happen automatically with the hip turn, or is it because the weight at setup is forward and that doesn't change?

Wayne

16 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

It's been awhile since I posted a swing video. I've been working at it all summer. I'm okay with where I'm at now. Open to comments and suggestions.  Thanks, Don

Looking good, you're on your way!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

A tip for anyone who is doing videos of themselves. Don't look for the perfect swing out of all those swings. Looks for differences in four or five. The worst swings teach me more than the good ones. The sway is there. In more of the bad ones than the good ones.

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Turn. Don't sway.

IMG_3556.PNG

Thanks for the static picture. I can see the spine angle isn't too bad, so I got that going for me.

I've practiced enough now where I can break down the swing into components to work on, and can work on them as long as my ADD allows. lol

At sixty-two, while I practice yoga stretches every day, I don't know how much more the old joints and tendons are going to allow me to turn. Work in progress. 

Thanks, ever so much again, Erik.

Wayne

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

A question, if you please? Does the forward weight shift happen automatically with the hip turn, or is it because the weight at setup is forward and that doesn't change?

The weight stays relatively centered (shifts back slightly with the arms) on the backswing, and then you move it forward on the downswing. Nothing is automatic. Pressure shifts back more when the right knee extends a bit.

2 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

Thanks for the static picture. I can see the spine angle isn't too bad, so I got that going for me.

I disagree. Your spine is tilted toward the target, rather than away, because your hips sway back.

Don swing.JPG

This is the pic I was looking at for spine angle.

Went to the range today and worked on hip turn, exclusively. Did a couple of drills--ball under my right foot and feet together--did two practice and one regular. Then worked on the hip turn. Best consistent practice I've ever had. Great dispersion. This might work.

Wayne

• Administrator
On 8/25/2017 at 7:32 PM, Blackjack Don said:

This is the pic I was looking at for spine angle.

Okay. You quoted the other image.

Glad your session went well.

Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!