IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well,  my golf weekend didn't quite go as planned.  Played 6 rounds - 97, 97, 97, 90, 91, 97.  My handicap will be 20.2 when the next revision comes out tomorrow.  Got so close to finally breaking 90 and just missed it with a stupid triple bogey both times!  I finally made some breakthroughs though.  Put a new stiff shaft in my driver and once I got used to it, I was hitting 13 fairways.  Made my longest drive ever at 288 (GPS verified), along with several at 250-260.  My irons have improved as well.  Hit 8 GIR in one round which was also a personal best.  I am still hopefule that I will be able to get down to an 18 this season and break 90 at least once.  Playing again Friday and Saturday to try again!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played 18 with some friends this morning.  They convinced me to play the white/blue combo (70.6/133 & 6407 yds), which may still be a bit above my skill level since my good drives are averaging 234 over the last 5 rounds.  Shot a 92, which is an 18.2 differential, so I think I can say I shot bogey golf today.  5 pars, 8 Bog, 3 Dbls, and 2 Triples.  Hit 9 fairways, 3 GIR, and 7 NGIR.  32 putts.  If I can just eliminate some penalties and triple bogeys, I'll have it!  Playing a difficult private course tomorrow with my parents, then back to the home course Sunday.  I am determined that I can get it done this weekend.

3 minutes ago, ChevDog said:

Played 18 with some friends this morning.  They convinced me to play the white/blue combo (70.6/133 & 6407 yds), which may still be a bit above my skill level since my good drives are averaging 234 over the last 5 rounds.  Shot a 92, which is an 18.2 differential, so I think I can say I shot bogey golf today.  5 pars, 8 Bog, 3 Dbls, and 2 Triples.  Hit 9 fairways, 3 GIR, and 7 NGIR.  32 putts.  If I can just eliminate some penalties and triple bogeys, I'll have it!  Playing a difficult private course tomorrow with my parents, then back to the home course Sunday.  I am determined that I can get it done this weekend.

Congrats! your progressing quickly....there are many people here that wish they could progress at half the pace you have. 

Thanks!  It has taken a lot of effort, time, and $ to get this far.  Today was the 64th round I have played since Jan 1st - and that is not counting 9 hole rounds or the three best ball scrambles I have played in.  I played 15 rounds in July alone - I wonder if my wife remembers what I look like?

• Like 1

Well after spending most of the summer trying to work out some flaws on my own I took a lesson last week.  Played a semi-private course last night that I've never played before and shot a 40 on the front nine.  I was one over through 3 holes on the back when we had to call it quits due to darkness and rain.

Still not breaking 90 since I didn't play all the way through but it was my lowest ever score on 9 holes.

My last round of this HI cycle, and though I fell apart on the back nine, my front nine was good enough on a tough course (72.1/135) to allow for my handicap to continue to drop when the cycle re-sets on the 15th. I should drop fro 21.5 to 21.0, which ties the lowest I have been since joining this site. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 6:01 AM, HJJ003 said:

My last round of this HI cycle, and though I fell apart on the back nine, my front nine was good enough on a tough course (72.1/135) to allow for my handicap to continue to drop when the cycle re-sets on the 15th. I should drop fro 21.5 to 21.0, which ties the lowest I have been since joining this site. 

Nice work!  You are getting close!

im playing my last two rounds of this cycle today and tomorrow. Current trend is 19.4, but I’m playing with a bad back, so it may go up instead of down...

• Thumbs Up 1

As I predicted above, my handicap trend went up slightly from 19.4 to 19.6 after this weekends rounds.  Playing with a pinched nerve in my lower back that is causing some pretty severe pain radiating down my left leg.  These physical issues did not help my game.  Shot a 95 Saturday and 96 Sunday.  Also played 9 with our wives Saturday afternoon and managed to pull off a respectable 45.  I did have some good shots (280 yd 3 wood - GPS verified!), and hit 13 fairways on Sat, but the pain and lack of flexibility prevented me from putting it all together to meet my goal.

I am going to take a week or two off from the game to heal, and hope to come back ready to shoot an 88!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like my injury is worse than I thought, and my dream of being an 18 by year end (as well as breaking 90) is ruined.  Went to the doctor for my back yesterday and was told I have Sciatica (pinched sciatic nerve).  The pain now radiates through my butt and down my left leg to below the knee.  Haven't had a full nights sleep since my last post.  He told me that is is probably cause by a bulging or herniated disc, and that I cannot golf again until it has healed.  Saw a physical therapist today and she gave me more bad news - she said that this type of injury typically takes 2-3 months to resolve 😞  Looks like I'll be lucky just to get back on the course before Thanksgiving.  With the handicap season ending here on November 30th, it looks like I have achieved all that I am going to for the year.  So bummed right now....

19 minutes ago, ChevDog said:

Looks like my injury is worse than I thought, and my dream of being an 18 by year end (as well as breaking 90) is ruined.  Went to the doctor for my back yesterday and was told I have Sciatica (pinched sciatic nerve).  The pain now radiates through my butt and down my left leg to below the knee.  Haven't had a full nights sleep since my last post.  He told me that is is probably cause by a bulging or herniated disc, and that I cannot golf again until it has healed.  Saw a physical therapist today and she gave me more bad news - she said that this type of injury typically takes 2-3 months to resolve 😞  Looks like I'll be lucky just to get back on the course before Thanksgiving.  With the handicap season ending here on November 30th, it looks like I have achieved all that I am going to for the year.  So bummed right now....

Sorry to hear brother. You made some great progress this year though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I’m going to try to get back at it tomorrow morning.  Back is feeling better, and against my wife’s wishes, I have an 8:06 tee time.  Hoping to at least be able to complete 18.  Wish me luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Joining the club.  TL;DR question is should I consider getting a driver fitting as an 18-19 handicapper?

I've played golf very intermittently for many years (playing 1-2 times a year at the most for >10 y) but this year was in a position to actually spend time on the game.  Also my 10yo son had interest so it was a nice father son activity.  Never really had enough rounds for a handicap so I upgraded my vintage 1990's starter clubs for used irons and driver and went at it this summer.  Lots of youtube videos and a lesson or two.

Handicap moved from 23 to 18.6 at this point so I'm fighting to be a consistent bogey golfer and breaking 90 is more normal now than a miracle.  I don't know if it's coincidence or not but I started using some of the Leadbetter "A" Swing principles and that coincided with me getting to the 90 range as opposed to the 95 range.  I know there are mixed feelings on the "A" swing but for my body it made sense.

I like tech and found 18 birdies great for tracking rounds but found entering in data a pain in the butt.  Got Game Golf Live on sale (since they are pushing the Pro) and it's been very useful I think.  Based on strokes gained putting, off the tee and short game are where I need to work on.

Which gets to my driver which I bought as a kinda off the shelf used Titleist 913D2 with some fiddling with the settings. Has an extra-stiff shaft which I had no thoughts on at the time but I'm sure is not a match for my slow swing speed.  I'm hitting 34% of my drives to the right (58% fairways hit) and I know am getting lots of side spin that is taking distance off and typical drives averate 175yd.  Bizarrely my 3 wood averages 177yd primarily from the fairway (yeah yeah - I know I should use my 3 wood more then).

I'm at a place in my game where I can see where increasing length (and accuracy) off the tee will help me as I'm gaining strokes on my approaches.  So I'm pondering getting a driver fitting at a local shop that has a really good reputation (not a big box store).  From there I can decide if I want to pony up the $$ for a new driver or change shafts on my current one. Given end of the season I'm wondering if I can get a deal.

So question for my high HI brethren - driver fitting worth it? My swing consistency is ok but I'm hoping some fitting will help figure out if the shaft is working against me and see if I can make the mishits more tolerable.  I figure at the least for the cost of a round of golf I can get some data on how crappy my swing speed is, attack angle etc to know what I need to work on. 

Getting fitted is always the best way to start from zero.  getting fitted as a HI golfer just means we will have to get fitted multiple times as our skills improve.  As your swing improves what once was your perfect shaft will no longer be your perfect shaft.  The extra stiff shaft you are using most definitely is hurting your distance(your swing speed isnt flexing your shaft enough) but at the same time is probably masking your slice(most likely has lower torque, probably around 3.0) which is more of a hand placement(during swing) and timing issue.  Your fitting will more than likely soften your shaft flex up but just be aware of the torque rating on the shaft they fit you for.  Most of us HI will benefit from lower torque shaft because it will keep the head more stable through the swing process. If you end up with a R flex shaft and 3.9 or higher on the torque your swing is going to have to be buttery smooth. 

Your 3w dilemma isnt all that crazy, more loft helps eliminate some of that side spin you are getting off your driver.  Same concept of hitting a 4i vs PW. even with the same swing path your PW wont slice nearly as hard as your 4i.  Get that driver fitted and only use it at the range for a while, use your 3w as your driver, find more fairways, gain some strokes back from those errant drives.  But if you get your driver fitted you might as well get your 3w fitted.  Freakin golf, this is the worst sport ever.  🤣🤣🤣

• iacas changed the title to Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

Was away for a few days for work and squeezed in a round in Maine before heading home.  Shot a 92 on a course I've never played before.  Still frustrating though.  8 fairways hit and 8 GIR's.  Can't seem to get rid of the blow up holes.  A 9 on a par 5 and a 7 on a par 4. 

All though I will say a few bogeys may really have been pars but I three putted because the greens were being aerated.

Just amazing how it's like Groundhog Day for me.  Every round is the same give or take a stroke or two.  Really don't feel like it'll ever change.

Eeehhhhh if it was easy it would be no fun. My first hole at my course is 341 yards. I can hit my hybrid to within 90 hit a full sand wedge, 1 putt, outta there with a birdie. I do it almost every week. Why do I say almost every week because just this past Wednesday pulled my tee shot, chunked a chip into the bunker, two shots to get out, 3 putted for a 7 on a hole I eat for lunch. Wtf. Hahahahahaha

Edited by CaseyD

On 9/27/2018 at 9:29 AM, paradocs said:

So question for my high HI brethren - driver fitting worth it? 

I had been using a Ping G10 21* hybrid off the tee for a quite a while. Could put it out there about 200 or so and was able to score pretty well that way. Like you I had a stiff shaft driver and found that as I got older and my swing slowed down, I could not really hit it well. I took a R shaft driver my son had and worked with it and even took an inch or so off of it. I would be maybe 225 to 245 yards depending on conditions. Finally I decided to get fitted. Have a Ping G30 10.5* with a stiff shaft. It has changed my (golf) life.

Depending on conditions I am between 240 and 260 yards with the occasional 280 and 300+. My miss hits are down and I am finding the fairway a lot. This has been since Jan 2016. Switched jobs so I did not play as much this season, but I sure have enjoyed the driver. My fitter charges $100, but gives $50 back if you buy a club. Back in Jan 2016 the G30 was on sale for $250, so it was $300 with the fitting. I got a full set at that time actually. Research fitters, ask them a lot of questions before your visit so you understand their process and are comfortable. I exchanged half a dozen emails with my guy before I made my appointment. It was a 45 minute drive. I went back last January for a wedge and hybrid fitting.

Think how much is spent on greens fees, balls, apparel, etc. for golf. $50 for an expert looking and interpreting your trackman numbers, watching your swing and asking you questions for 1.5 to 2 hours is worth it IMO. Wish I had gone in a few years earlier, but with kids tuition, braces, etc....

I started this season with one primary goal - reduce blow up holes.  Secondary pipe dream goal was to break 100

mid summer, through analysis, i determined I needed to work on my inside 50 yds approach shots.  Also that my putt per hole average was terrible. (working on distance and accuracy are givens.  But, with my game being a bit short, those shots inside 50 yds are critical)

I worked on both of these all summer.

Last week I posted in the breaking bad thread that I finally broke 100 with a 99.

This past Saturday I shot an 89 😄 

Admittedly, this wasn't at a particularly difficult course.  I play there because it is a little forgiving if you go off the fairway and the greens aren't too terribly contoured. 

I was recording scores in the 120's at the beginning of the season.  Later in the season I started hovering in the low 100's and I knew I was close.  

This 89 was a fluke and I'm sure I'll even go back to 100's on tougher courses, but it was still a great day and it is for sure an indicator that I'm getting better.  I'm 53 and started playing at 50, so I've had very conservative goals.  Really focused on just trying to enjoy myself and not get to worked up about stuff.

All that said, what a day.  Getting a par score on any particular hole is a mini accomplishment for me and this day I got all my pars in a five hole run.  unprecedented!  I also got a couple birds, which frankly, i can count the number of times on one hand that I've gotten one.  There is one par 3 that runs about 185yds.  I've never gotten on the green in one, but I did this day.

Can't believe the level of stoke you get from a good round.  I was stoked all afternoon, into the evening, and still thinking about the round on Sunday.  It was awesome.

I figure my next round is gonna stink to high hell 😄

14 minutes ago, Brad W said:

I started this season with one primary goal - reduce blow up holes.  Secondary pipe dream goal was to break 100

mid summer, through analysis, i determined I needed to work on my inside 50 yds approach shots.  Also that my putt per hole average was terrible. (working on distance and accuracy are givens.  But, with my game being a bit short, those shots inside 50 yds are critical)

I worked on both of these all summer.

Last week I posted in the breaking bad thread that I finally broke 100 with a 99.

This past Saturday I shot an 89 😄 

Admittedly, this wasn't at a particularly difficult course.  I play there because it is a little forgiving if you go off the fairway and the greens aren't too terribly contoured. 

I was recording scores in the 120's at the beginning of the season.  Later in the season I started hovering in the low 100's and I knew I was close.  

This 89 was a fluke and I'm sure I'll even go back to 100's on tougher courses, but it was still a great day and it is for sure an indicator that I'm getting better.  I'm 53 and started playing at 50, so I've had very conservative goals.  Really focused on just trying to enjoy myself and not get to worked up about stuff.

All that said, what a day.  Getting a par score on any particular hole is a mini accomplishment for me and this day I got all my pars in a five hole run.  unprecedented!  I also got a couple birds, which frankly, i can count the number of times on one hand that I've gotten one.  There is one par 3 that runs about 185yds.  I've never gotten on the green in one, but I did this day.

Can't believe the level of stoke you get from a good round.  I was stoked all afternoon, into the evening, and still thinking about the round on Sunday.  It was awesome.

I figure my next round is gonna stink to high hell 😄

Congrats on your career round thus far. Breaking 90 is always a nice accomplishment. 

Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!