IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

It's kind of strange for me too.  HI is 17.3, Game Golf has me at 13.6.

That is weird, my HI is always within a few tenths between both GG and my official. Actually right now both show the exact same at 17.1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

That is weird, my HI is always within a few tenths between both GG and my official. Actually right now both show the exact same at 17.1

- How is the GAME GOLF handicap calculated?

We have a vast data set for users who have played a large number of rounds and can be identified as scratch players (average normalized score of 70-75).  So we are using this as a benchmark baseline to estimate a player's handicap.
From Game Golf scratch players (which act as the benchmark group), we first discover how these players score (average number of strokes) on holes of a certain yardage* (yardage is from first tee shot to the pin location).  Then we aggregate all the scores from the holes played from all of these players and bucket them into 5-meter intervals using holes 60 meters and up to 600 meters.  Meters are converted into yards when needed.  
To calculate a handicap, we then apply the same principles to a player of interest and getting their average number of strokes played for each of those hole distance buckets.  We then collect the difference between that player and GAME GOLF's Scratch players, and then find the collective average.

- Is the GAME GOLF handicap an official handicap index of any golf association such as the USGA?
No.  The game golf handicap system is not an official handicap for any golf association.  The GAME GOLF handicap provides a uniform handicap that can be applied globally regardless of region and local association rules.  

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Over the last week and a half (give or take), I've played 4 times.

Round 1 was on 5/5 at Charlotte National.  I was playing it as a practice round for a tournament that Saturday.  I got there and got a call from my wife that my youngest daughter was sick and she had to pick her up from school... so, I had that on my mind.  Still... it was nice to get out.  A little breezy and I played 2 holes in a pretty steady rain without any rain gear.  I shot 99 that day... losing a lot of my tee shots to the right and taking 7 penalties.  

Round 2 was a few days later on 5/7... again at Charlotte National.  I had a much better day.  It was windy throughout the round, but I was able to figure something out that morning on the range prior to the round and it stuck with me.  A much more reasonable 88 followed which was good enough to earn me 2nd place and a $125 Edwin Watts gift card.  

Round 3 was on 5/13 at my local 9 hole course, Tega Cay (Cove).  I played it twice that morning since it was empty.  It's a small course but it requires some precise shots.  Other than the 1st and 3rd holes, I played pretty well.  Those holes beat me up though (quadruple bogey and whatever a +7 would be considered) and I posted 53 on the front.  I followed that with a 42 on the back for a 95 overall.  Again, this was pretty much just practice to get my swing smoothed out for the tournament the following day.

Round 4 was the next day, 5/14 at Rock Barn (Jones).  Coming off my first time placing in the money this season, I was looking to keep the momentum.  A lot of wind and an excruciatingly slow round from the group in front of us meant I couldn't find a good groove.  Still... I played pretty well.  I posted 48 on the front (started double - double - double - triple) and 45 on the back for a 93 overall.  That was good enough for 3rd place and a $100 Edwin Watts gift card. 

So... I feel like I've got a little bit of confidence with my driver.  I've only taken 2 penalties in my last 30 swings with that club which is WELL above average for me.  I'd like to keep that momentum and hopefully get my short game in order.  I seem to be losing a lot of strokes around the greens recently.

All-in-all, I'm happy with my progress.  My handicap index is down to 16.4 which is the lowest it's been since I can remember, it may even be a new career low for me, but I'm not 100% certain.  I may have been 16.3 at one point a few years back.  Still... I'm loving the momentum and hoping the weather clears out by next week so I can get back on the course again soon!

CY

• Upvote 2

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

9 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

Over the last week and a half (give or take), I've played 4 times.

Round 1 was on 5/5 at Charlotte National.  I was playing it as a practice round for a tournament that Saturday.  I got there and got a call from my wife that my youngest daughter was sick and she had to pick her up from school... so, I had that on my mind.  Still... it was nice to get out.  A little breezy and I played 2 holes in a pretty steady rain without any rain gear.  I shot 99 that day... losing a lot of my tee shots to the right and taking 7 penalties.  

Round 2 was a few days later on 5/7... again at Charlotte National.  I had a much better day.  It was windy throughout the round, but I was able to figure something out that morning on the range prior to the round and it stuck with me.  A much more reasonable 88 followed which was good enough to earn me 2nd place and a $125 Edwin Watts gift card.  

Round 3 was on 5/13 at my local 9 hole course, Tega Cay (Cove).  I played it twice that morning since it was empty.  It's a small course but it requires some precise shots.  Other than the 1st and 3rd holes, I played pretty well.  Those holes beat me up though (quadruple bogey and whatever a +7 would be considered) and I posted 53 on the front.  I followed that with a 42 on the back for a 95 overall.  Again, this was pretty much just practice to get my swing smoothed out for the tournament the following day.

Round 4 was the next day, 5/14 at Rock Barn (Jones).  Coming off my first time placing in the money this season, I was looking to keep the momentum.  A lot of wind and an excruciatingly slow round from the group in front of us meant I couldn't find a good groove.  Still... I played pretty well.  I posted 48 on the front (started double - double - double - triple) and 45 on the back for a 93 overall.  That was good enough for 3rd place and a $100 Edwin Watts gift card. 

So... I feel like I've got a little bit of confidence with my driver.  I've only taken 2 penalties in my last 30 swings with that club which is WELL above average for me.  I'd like to keep that momentum and hopefully get my short game in order.  I seem to be losing a lot of strokes around the greens recently.

All-in-all, I'm happy with my progress.  My handicap index is down to 16.4 which is the lowest it's been since I can remember, it may even be a new career low for me, but I'm not 100% certain.  I may have been 16.3 at one point a few years back.  Still... I'm loving the momentum and hoping the weather clears out by next week so I can get back on the course again soon!

CY

good for you... some great scores.

You're local to the Charlotte market... we should try to play some time. I'm relatively new to the area but have played Tega Cay a few times and like it very much. 

Let me know. 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

3 minutes ago, divot dave said:

good for you... some great scores.

You're local to the Charlotte market... we should try to play some time. I'm relatively new to the area but have played Tega Cay a few times and like it very much. 

Let me know. 

Thanks man!  I'll send you a PM with my contact info.  

I work a very flexible schedule so I play a lot of weekdays so that I don't have to take too much time away from my family.  I tend to play tournaments on weekends when I can, but... I'd definitely like to meet up.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

101. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/randallt/round/906676

Do I need to post this on the Breaking Bad (100+) thread? Hopefully a fluke round with some new swing mechanics, but I was actually optimistic I could should low 80s on this course. It's short, open, and only a par 71. The par 5's are real short. Easy course.

Apparently the course wasn't open enough. For as far right as I was push slicing the ball, there aren't many courses that could've accommodated me!  I think I counted 8 shots where I took stroke and distance. Ouch. That's 16 strokes right there. 85, if I just made no penalties then!

Overall, balls were consistently going weak, right, but when I did catch one just right, it was a nice feeling. I had one drive that felt good with the new swing, and several iron shots. The rest was me basically slapping at the ball with glancing blows and trying to make a score around the green. I'll take hope that things are changing, and if I can ingrain a better (less steep) swing, and just keep the ball in the fairway, I'll be a better golfer in the long run.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

17 minutes ago, RandallT said:

101. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/randallt/round/906676

Do I need to post this on the Breaking Bad (100+) thread? Hopefully a fluke round with some new swing mechanics, but I was actually optimistic I could should low 80s on this course. It's short, open, and only a par 71. The par 5's are real short. Easy course.

Apparently the course wasn't open enough. For as far right as I was push slicing the ball, there aren't many courses that could've accommodated me!  I think I counted 8 shots where I took stroke and distance. Ouch. That's 16 strokes right there. 85, if I just made no penalties then!

Overall, balls were consistently going weak, right, but when I did catch one just right, it was a nice feeling. I had one drive that felt good with the new swing, and several iron shots. The rest was me basically slapping at the ball with glancing blows and trying to make a score around the green. I'll take hope that things are changing, and if I can ingrain a better (less steep) swing, and just keep the ball in the fairway, I'll be a better golfer in the long run.

new swing mechanics... i'm forever battling that, haven't settled down yet. I'll be glad when I do, it seems like every single change is a major swing change at this point. 

IN MY BAG

34 minutes ago, divot dave said:

new swing mechanics... i'm forever battling that, haven't settled down yet. I'll be glad when I do, it seems like every single change is a major swing change at this point. 

Me too...its just unfortunate that they seem to be weekly lately:~(

2 hours ago, divot dave said:

Your avatar is perfect. Love Hate golf. Love the process and the  feeling that it'll get better. Hate that progress is slow, and often backwards.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

55 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Your avatar is perfect. Love Hate golf. Love the process and the  feeling that it'll get better. Hate that progress is slow, and often backwards.

you're so right... especially the backwards part

IN MY BAG

1 minute ago, divot dave said:

you're so right... especially the backwards part

Hey, in case you weren't aware of site awards/achievements, see this thread:

I know you played in the glorious TST outing of 2014, and that's a new achievement you can claim (probably not mentioned in the first post of the thread because it didn't exist yet). Certainly you've broken 90, which is another.

Shop around for others. The awards link at the very top right bar of the page lists them all, I think.

My Swing

7 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Hey, in case you weren't aware of site awards/achievements, see this thread:

I know you played in the glorious TST outing of 2014, and that's a new achievement you can claim (probably not mentioned in the first post of the thread because it didn't exist yet). Certainly you've broken 90, which is another.

Shop around for others. The awards link at the very top right bar of the page lists them all, I think.

sweet, thanks!

IN MY BAG

I've had a horrible week, it's like I can't find the right back swing plane and that is creating problems on my down swing.   Golf is crazy like that, all can be going good then one day you wake up and your body forgets how to properly swing a golf club.  Golf is hard.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

16 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I've had a horrible week, it's like I can't find the right back swing plane and that is creating problems on my down swing.   Golf is crazy like that, all can be going good then one day you wake up and your body forgets how to properly swing a golf club.  Golf is hard.  

In a strange and sadistic way, I'm glad to hear you say that... sometimes I feel like I'm the only one, nice to know there are others in the struggle with me. Misery loves company I guess. 

IN MY BAG

Last night league round was strange. Had a some good shots that I got bad breaks on, had some easy shots that I screwed up on, and had a ball disappear on the last hole that had no reason to not be found... It was annoying because I didn't feel like I was playing poorly except for blading 3 of the 4 50 ish yard half wedge shots. That distance is the devil for me.... I'm not upset though, because outside of the bad breaks and those 50 yard shot struggles most of my shots were pretty good.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I had a similar experience yesterday at the driving range. Hit my driver well and pitched well. Then tried to hit full iron shots and didn't hit one good one out of 30 balls. I usually hit my irons well and struggle with the driver so it was a weird feeling. Going back today and we will see what happens. I always try to remember Harvey Penick's advice from his little red book. Play bad 1 day, forget it. Play bad 2 days, review your fundamentals. Play bad 3 days, talk to a pro. 

Edited by CoachCad8

5 hours ago, divot dave said:

In a strange and sadistic way, I'm glad to hear you say that... sometimes I feel like I'm the only one, nice to know there are others in the struggle with me. Misery loves company I guess. 

3 hours ago, CoachCad8 said:

I had a similar experience yesterday at the driving range. Hit my driver well and pitched well. Then tried to hit full iron shots and didn't hit one good one out of 30 balls. I usually hit my irons well and struggle with the driver so it was a weird feeling. Going back today and we will see what happens. I always try to remember Harvey Penick's advice from his little red book. Play bad 1 day, forget it. Play bad 2 days, review your fundamentals. Play bad 3 days, talk to a pro. 

@divot dave I'm glad my struggles can do some good.  You're definitely not alone but it's been a while since I've been this lost with my swing.  

I hoped today would bring about some changes but no such luck.  I was all over the place, I'd hit a great tee shot then shank the next two, I'd flub a drive and then hit a perfect approach shot.  It was so frustrating I gave up after 9 and took Penick's advice, I'm scheduled for a lesson tomorrow to get things sorted out.  I thought I had the swing grooved in but the last few days the wheels have completely fallen off.  

Joe Paradiso

So much is mental. I was 2 up on the 8th hole (playing 9 holes). I hit a great drive and smashed a 3 wood to about 10 yards off the green. Then I realized I would shoot a great round if I just made a good score.

Chipped it too short, then too far so I had a long downhill putt, and then proceeded to 3 putt. Triple-bogey!

Luckily I made a par on the last hole for 5 over.... but....

Oh well.

- oh and about bringing your swing back, long ago, I worked on the range and have a short list of things that will help stabilize my swing. When the wheels come off, I refer to the notes and one of them will get me through the round and hitting the ball pretty good again.

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 1040 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!