IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been working on updating my clubs so far this year, going to start shopping for a backyard net, and have been visiting the local golf stores weekly to get my mindset back into the game. Along with that I've been reading or skimming through various golf books from the local library. I don't think I'll look at building a greenhouse because it would just turn into a storage space for lawnmower and snowblower and bicycles and wagons and anything else. Great to have but not for now.

Net should be fine. I wouldn't build a greenhouse for the purpose of golf, I'd build it for gardening. That I'd be able to use it for golf would be a bonus, plus I like multitasking tools.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:

Originally Posted by treebound

I've been working on updating my clubs so far this year, going to start shopping for a backyard net, and have been visiting the local golf stores weekly to get my mindset back into the game. Along with that I've been reading or skimming through various golf books from the local library.

I don't think I'll look at building a greenhouse because it would just turn into a storage space for lawnmower and snowblower and bicycles and wagons and anything else. Great to have but not for now.

Net should be fine. I wouldn't build a greenhouse for the purpose of golf, I'd build it for gardening. That I'd be able to use it for golf would be a bonus, plus I like multitasking tools.

That's definitely more efficient. I'm not one of those "There's a tool for each task" types, especially when we're talking about golf.

Plus, my first tool was a Swiss army knife. B-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

That's definitely more efficient. I'm not one of those "There's a tool for each task" types, especially when we're talking about golf. Plus, my first tool was a Swiss army knife. B-)

To be fair, some jobs are a lot easier to do if you own the specialized tool for it, but it doesn't mean you can't get away with using something else. To make this golf related, you can flop a 6i with the right technique, but it's a lot easier with a lob wedge.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've flopped my driver before 8)

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

I've flopped my driver before 8)

Haven't we all :-) Do your buddies invoke the infield fly rule on you, too?

Bill

My Swing Thread

No infield fly rule, but I have been tempted to try and run out and catch the ball before it landed a few times in the past.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

No infield fly rule, but I have been tempted to try and run out and catch the ball before it landed a few times in the past.

Been there, done that!   My wife had one of those today.   Needless to say, she was bummed about it.     On a positive note, I was playing today for the first time since early January.   On top of that, today was probably the best day I have EVER had off the tee...   12 out of 14 fairways!!    Unfortunately,  I managed to negate several of those great drives by sticking a couple of second shots in the water and three putted a couple, so my score was not near what it should have been.    But... at least I was playing golf today!! :banana:

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All. Just wanted to get this thread going again.

I have much more confidence in my 30 to 105 yard ranges, we'll see how the round goes for me and my son (who is also in this range of golfers for the time being).

The improvements since last time are a more in to out swing and flat left wrist per key 3. Still working on all three keys, but I think the first three are successfully combined. My muscles are more or less healed well enough to play a round or two this weekend.

The main change is to relax the dominant (left for me) arm. This cause my OTT swing from a few weeks ago.

I am temporarily using MP33 KBS Xstiff shafts even though they give me shorter distances than my son's i20. I think they are 2 degrees flat and weaker than these: http://www.golfclubspec.com/iron_results.php?id=148. So, my 9 iron is actually 46 degrees rather than 44. I know that they are flatter by that much because I had them bent to 3 degrees flat without having him check the loft. Going to need to change them back sometime. My PW is also about 50 degrees, and that correlates with the fact that I get 5 yards more with this than my 52 degree wedge. This is okay for now, and I don't mind being a high/short hitter for the time being.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am still working on keys 1 - 3, too.   Progress has been slow - bad habits are hard to break.   Good luck with your efforts, Lihu.

I finally made time & fitted for a driver but end up not buying a new one.   It turned out, I currently have an optimum driver for me.  So, after a 30 minute fitting session, the conclusion was to spend money on lessons :-\ .   If I were to buy one, the fitter recommended SLDR or Titleist.   He recommended one more brand but I forget what it was.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I am still working on keys 1 - 3, too.   Progress has been slow - bad habits are hard to break.   Good luck with your efforts, Lihu. I finally made time & fitted for a driver but end up not buying a new one.   It turned out, I currently have an optimum driver for me.  So, after a 30 minute fitting session, the conclusion was to spend money on lessons :-\ .   If I were to buy one, the fitter recommended SLDR or Titleist.   He recommended one more brand but I forget what it was.

Good lessons help, if you instructor builds on your progress, it also builds your confidence. I've had my share of setbacks, and need a lot improvements.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Had a few chances to get out and practice and play this week.   Shot 88 on Tuesday, 88 on Thursday (with 9 pars) and 96 today.   Today's round was played in a wind that was blowing about 20mph most of the day, with gusts into the low 30's (according to the NWS).   On a few holes, crosswinds played hell with a few shots and those really came back to bite me hard on the scorecard...

Biggest thing I am working on at this very moment is getting my tempo back.   I have a tendency to get too quick at times and that causes shortened backswings, quick transitions and some big pushes with an open face...  (aka: some really ugly shots)   I've always struggled with this and the gains I made toward the end of last year seem to have gotten lost completely during the winter.   I spent some time this week on the range working on smooth easy swings and clean, crisp contact.   My only swing thought at the moment is S-L-O-W.  While my scores didn't necessarily show it, I know there was definite improvement.  When I got it right, I have never struck the ball better/straighter/longer..    Just gotta keep telling my self to slow down until it becomes ingrained......

On the plus side, my putting has been better.    I just about wore out the carpet practicing while the weather was crappy.   Turns out though, the greens are faster than my carpet, so the putting stroke I was using to putt the ball 6 feet in the house, will roll the ball about twice that on the actual greens!  LOL

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Had a few chances to get out and practice and play this week.   Shot 88 on Tuesday, 88 on Thursday (with 9 pars) and 96 today.   Today's round was played in a wind that was blowing about 20mph most of the day, with gusts into the low 30's (according to the NWS).   On a few holes, crosswinds played hell with a few shots and those really came back to bite me hard on the scorecard... Biggest thing I am working on at this very moment is getting my tempo back.   I have a tendency to get too quick at times and that causes shortened backswings, quick transitions and some big pushes with an open face...  (aka: some really ugly shots)   I've always struggled with this and the gains I made toward the end of last year seem to have gotten lost completely during the winter.   I spent some time this week on the range working on smooth easy swings and clean, crisp contact.   My only swing thought at the moment is S-L-O-W.  While my scores didn't necessarily show it, I know there was definite improvement.  When I got it right, I have never struck the ball better/straighter/longer..    Just gotta keep telling my self to slow down until it becomes ingrained...... On the plus side, my putting has been better.    I just about wore out the carpet practicing while the weather was crappy.   Turns out though, the greens are faster than my carpet, so the putting stroke I was using to putt the ball 6 feet in the house, will roll the ball about twice that on the actual greens!  LOL

What courses do you play?

I got out and shot a 94 today. 7 fairways and no GRi's. The wind was playing hell with me as well. Only had one 3 putt all day. but I only got up and down once. The winter rust seems to be my distance control. But its really hard to tell with the wind conditions. But for my first outing since december and only 2 trips to the driving range. Things are looking pretty positive.

I got out and shot a 94 today. 7 fairways and no GRi's. The wind was playing hell with me as well. Only had one 3 putt all day. but I only got up and down once. The winter rust seems to be my distance control. But its really hard to tell with the wind conditions. But for my first outing since december and only 2 trips to the driving range. Things are looking pretty positive.

That's great. Spend more time on the range, but not too much. . .!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What courses do you play?

Usually here in Troy but I also get in a few rounds at Incline Village, Sun Valley and once in a while, at the Landings at Spirit.  I've also played at Florissant once and Bogey Hills once and a few courses at the Lake of the Ozarks.  I see you are in O'Fallon, where are you playing?

Played again today.  Shot a 94.  8 fairways, 4 GIR's.   After bragging about the improvements in my putting, it let me down today..    I had 39 putts............. :pound: Oh well, it was a beautiful day!  Too bad it is supposed to snow tomorrow............. :censored:

Interesting thing that has been helping me over the last month or so. NOT going to the range as much lol. I will only go once or twice a week now, and a little before a round on the weekend. The other nights (or mornings before work) I'll spend anywhere from 10-45 minutes just doing slow motion swings, usually with a 5SK or other YouTube swing video on my laptop, and a mirror to compare with. Particularly working on Keys 2,3,4, also a little chipping and putting (indoors and at the range). Game has taken off since I've been doing this. Could be a coincidence, and all the lessons and practice are just coming together, but everything feels really solid. Body is also feeling less worn out. I know others have recommended practicing this way, but just wanted to re-enforce how effective practicing at home can be.

Have hit personal bests on 3 courses since switching up how I practice.

Things to work on are hitting more GIR (can always hit more!), driving distance and accuracy, capitalizing on birdie chances (putting from 10-25 feet) . . . to name a few lol

Two things that don't mix: recent recovery from overworked muscles, and carrying clubs. In fact carrying 135gm wood shafts and 130gm iron shsfts. Even worse, swinging them. I got sudden fatigue after 10 holes. I did par the 10th one, and ended the day just happy to finish a full round. I could barely drive 220 at the end of the day, much less swing the MP33 irons. However, I could swing my son's Ping i20. Looks like yerba mate and yoga tomorrow.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Went to the range on Thursday afternoon. Hit about ten good 9 irons then started to shank six in a roll.

Quit and went to the chipping area.

Went home and swung the orange whip for about 15 minutes.

Was on the range Friday hit about sixty balls and not one single shank or anything close to one.

Played 18 today and did not hit one single shank.

I think my problem is the six inches between my ears.

Note: This thread is 1050 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!