IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I could've written exactly this about my last round. 2 quads and a triple in a 4-hole stretch. Same thing, trying to "save" a hole by taking high-risk shots. Dumb.

270 yard drives will get you shooting good scores in no time. Nice.

Without going OT too far, why'd you switch from the the BioCell? I switched to the BioCell last year and it has felt like a struggle ever since. Been getting in a bit of a groove lately, but still not totally comfortable with it.

I had the BioCell+ which is the less forgiving more low spin version. I was struggling very badly when I didn't it hit perfect, the G25 has proven to be much more forgiving and easy to hit. Plus it has a tour x stiff shaft which may be helping to tone down my draw some.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At 25 I have just in the past 3 months or so actually began to play the game. I had played with friends maybe once or twice a summer being terrible not scoring my round correctly and still shooting in the 130 range. I never played mostly because I wasn't making the money to justify throwing myself into the game. Now after a promotion and having some disposable income I've started trying to teach myself mostly through youtube videos and reading a ton online trying to implement what I find useful taking a few hundred swings a day and playing probably 36 holes a week sometimes more if my schedule allows. I have an athletic background I am a HS varsity baseball and football coach as an all-state baseball player in hs and played some college baseball (D-3 in Michigan nothing special). I feel like eventually I could be what one would call a "long hitter" I get a little farther each time out feeling more comfortable with my swing I'm conservatively about 240ish when I'm not slicing the crap out of it (happens less and less every day) while I can occasionally poke one out there for about 280. I drove the green from 348 last week with "some" help from a sloped fairway. Putting is where I am most confident I might 3 putt a hole once every couple rounds or so but I can handle anything from 8-10 feet and am a pretty successful lag putter that part of the game has come easy to me but can always be better! My main issue is making solid contact with my irons I cant tell you how many strokes I lose from duffed topped sliced toed iron shots that go about 30 yards and leave me on the verge of a freakout (I have what some may call a competitiveness issue) I've put hours and hours into it and ill feel comfortable in practice but once im on the course its a disaster. I really feel I should probably go take a lesson and have someone with trained eyes on me because I honestly don't know how I can be so bad with my irons. I went out yesterday and played 9 I was just 3 over through 5, mostly by driving well enough and being able to go driver-PW, and actually was feeling pretty confident then I put a couple in the drink shanked a couple OB had to hit a ball out of a tree (ill attach the picture) and scuffled my way to a 55 which is right about where I shoot. My best round of 18 I shot a legitimately scored 97 which I am happy about to go from someone who'd be lucky to shoot under 130 3 months ago to breaking 100. I'm happy with the progress and I'm hoping that by this time next year ill be mad if I shoot a 97.

so i started playing a couple years back, just now am getting into really improving and really learning about my swing, and about the human body, and how my swing should not be making my body do things it wasn't made to do. I have come down from shooting about 105 on a normal round last year(and previous years) to shooting 93, and then 91 my two times out this year( yes ive only been out twice. i havent had enough time). Have been to the range many times and been really emphasizing not focusing on hitting the ball, might lose some guys here haha, but merely focusing on my swing going toward target. i can say i have never struck the ball better, straighter and longer. i realized that i kept focusing on the ball, an object that i am looking at already. so why am i needing to focus on something that im looking at. once i started to focus on my swing going toward target, i've started to hit things cleaner. taking the right divots, feeling relaxed, and most of all, not straining any muscles in my body. I mean i do want to play this game for a long time. i have to say shawn clement knows what he is talking about, and has been my "coach" if you will.

I'm excited to get out a get those round scores down even more.

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

This is a damn maddening game! Best round ever was an 81 a month ago (which included a 7 on the last hole!). Since then Ive shot 91 (good enough for second with my 22hcp), 90, 83 and 91. The thing killing me is the 50 shots out then coming back in with 41, 40 and 42! The times I've strung together two solid front and back nines I've shot in the 80's but more importly I gave myself a real chance of shooting in the 70's!!! Maybe we are all just masochist at heart eh? :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

This is a damn maddening game! Best round ever was an 81 a month ago (which included a 7 on the last hole!). Since then Ive shot 91 (good enough for second with my 22hcp), 90, 83 and 91. The thing killing me is the 50 shots out then coming back in with 41, 40 and 42! The times I've strung together two solid front and back nines I've shot in the 80's but more importly I gave myself a real chance of shooting in the 70's!!! Maybe we are all just masochist at heart eh? :) Regards Mailman

Of course we are, I've even shot 77 in the morning then a 97 in the same afternoon. My thought was that I was getting consistent so I decided to play again to see if I could break 77. My first tee shot crowned, bounced off a tree and fell behind another one. The rest of that round went downhill from there. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hahahahaha...that's like hooking a ball out of bounds to see it hit a tree then bounce back on to the fairway only for the ball to roll in to a stream on the opposite side :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

That happened too. :-D I felt too invincible, and that was just golf putting me in my place. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hahahahaha...that's like hooking a ball out of bounds to see it hit a tree then bounce back on to the fairway only for the ball to roll in to a stream on the opposite side :)

Regards

Mailman

That's still considered a good luck.  I will take ball in hazard over OB anytime. :-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I finally strung a half decent front 9 with a tidy back 9 on Wednesday (in our mid week comp) and shot 86 which was good enough for the win (41 points!). The usual woulda, coulda, shoulda applies as I easily left 10 shots on the course through just doing dumb stuff! Anyway here is the gamegolf round from Wednesday. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/mailman/round/479225 The best thing about the round apart from some PURE ball striking was getting my hcp cut from 20.4 to 18.9! This is the first time I've EVER been below 20 :) Regards Mailman
  • Upvote 1

Mailman

I finally strung a half decent front 9 with a tidy back 9 on Wednesday (in our mid week comp) and shot 86 which was good enough for the win (41 points!). The usual woulda, coulda, shoulda applies as I easily left 10 shots on the course through just doing dumb stuff! Anyway here is the gamegolf round from Wednesday. http://www.gamegolf.com/player/mailman/round/479225 The best thing about the round apart from some PURE ball striking was getting my hcp cut from 20.4 to 18.9! This is the first time I've EVER been below 20 :) Regards Mailman

Congrats!

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Broke through today ... first time in a looooong loooong time ... 88 [URL=http://www.gamegolf.com/player/kensisland/round/486020]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/kensisland/round/486020[/URL]

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Back in high school I used to break 90 fairly regularly and at the time would consider myself a bogey golfer in the purest sense as an average day would be 18 over par.  5 years of college and a 3 years of working with very little golf over that time didn't degrade my game nearly as much as I would have thought as I was still breaking 100 and pushed 90 on several occasions (mostly falling just short with a 91-92).

Then today happened....

I absolutely went nuts on the front 9.  5 pars in a row more than makes up for the deflation of that 3 putt on the ninth.  I don't know what I was doing on the front but I was hitting 285 yard drives which is about 15 yards farther than I usually hit (though based on these results its probably a result of poor ball striking).  My putting was also lights out for 8 holes....not a single three putt till 9.  A 39 on a par 36/38 is something I probably won't see for awhile.

I came back to earth on the back nine and had a panicky 3 putt on 18 after I stuck a 4 iron within 15 feet.  Should never have counted up my score heading to the green....just the thought of 80 screwed everything up.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Those three putts are real killers aren't they?!?? Most things I can shrug my shoulders at and walk on (sometimes only a few yards for the next shot :) but a three putt is something else!!! Regards Mailman

Mailman

congrats! good to see someone improving. keep up the good golf

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:

went out yesterday and today. yesterday was certainly not my best golf. shot a 110 and not much to be said, terrile striking, couldnt hit my drives straight which led to a lot of drops and penalties. today was a different story. only had 3 bow up holes (8 on a par 4, 9 on a par 5, and then 7 on par 4). ended up coming in with a 91. was putting pretty well, only 2 3 putts and i felt i was hitting my irons so pure. and certainly controoled my drives better, other than my hook on that par 5 that forced me to drop...only drop of the day. hoping i can drop those 11 shots that should not be there. and take advantage of the pars 5s better as well. certainly need to gain that stroke back every time to put myself in better shape to get under 80

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:

I finally strung a half decent front 9 with a tidy back 9 on Wednesday (in our mid week comp) and shot 86 which was good enough for the win (41 points!).

The usual woulda, coulda, shoulda applies as I easily left 10 shots on the course through just doing dumb stuff!

Anyway here is the gamegolf round from Wednesday.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/mailman/round/479225

The best thing about the round apart from some PURE ball striking was getting my hcp cut from 20.4 to 18.9! This is the first time I've EVER been below 20 :)

Regards

Mailman

Broke through today ... first time in a looooong loooong time ... 88

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/kensisland/round/486020

Back in high school I used to break 90 fairly regularly and at the time would consider myself a bogey golfer in the purest sense as an average day would be 18 over par.  5 years of college and a 3 years of working with very little golf over that time didn't degrade my game nearly as much as I would have thought as I was still breaking 100 and pushed 90 on several occasions (mostly falling just short with a 91-92).

Then today happened....

I absolutely went nuts on the front 9.  5 pars in a row more than makes up for the deflation of that 3 putt on the ninth.  I don't know what I was doing on the front but I was hitting 285 yard drives which is about 15 yards farther than I usually hit (though based on these results its probably a result of poor ball striking).  My putting was also lights out for 8 holes....not a single three putt till 9.  A 39 on a par 36/38 is something I probably won't see for awhile.

I came back to earth on the back nine and had a panicky 3 putt on 18 after I stuck a 4 iron within 15 feet.  Should never have counted up my score heading to the green....just the thought of 80 screwed everything up.

Nice. Congrats all.

Kevin

Been playing off and on for about 12 years. Last ear and a half I pick it up again during the spring and summer and play. I've shot some low 90s rounds, high 80s and a lone 85 that I am proud of. If I want to consistently shoot in the mid 80s, I need to hit my pitch shots (40-80 yards out more consistently), I can skip and stop them on a bounce which is great but my aim is terrible but improving. My driving has come a long way since last year. A lot more fairways, nice draws. Another thing j have to work on is my ball striking. When I hit em clean, they are real clean which is great, but I occasionally hit way behind the ball and that kills any momentum I have for that hole. In the end, if mid 80s can be my average score I'll be happy.

Been playing off and on for about 12 years. Last ear and a half I pick it up again during the spring and summer and play. I've shot some low 90s rounds, high 80s and a lone 85 that I am proud of.

If I want to consistently shoot in the mid 80s, I need to hit my pitch shots (40-80 yards out more consistently), I can skip and stop them on a bounce which is great but my aim is terrible but improving. My driving has come a long way since last year. A lot more fairways, nice draws.

Another thing j have to work on is my ball striking. When I hit em clean, they are real clean which is great, but I occasionally hit way behind the ball and that kills any momentum I have for that hole.

In the end, if mid 80s can be my average score I'll be happy.

Or maybe not having to hit as many pitch shots by trying to get closer to the greens on the approaches by improving your ball striking?

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!