IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm pretty nervous going into this weekend I haven't scored an 18 hole round yet this year just been practicing a ton playing 2-3 balls a hole and working on things. I've kept score on a bunch of 9 hole rounds this year and have shot anywhere from a 39-47 I'm going to go out and play 9 tonight and treat it like a practice round then go out in the morning and take it very serious over 18 and see what I can score. I've put in a lot of work this year and I really hope I can break 90 I didn't do this at all last year so I'm going to try to play very conservatively and put up the best score possible. Wish me luck!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

I'm pretty nervous going into this weekend I haven't scored an 18 hole round yet this year just been practicing a ton playing 2-3 balls a hole and working on things. I've kept score on a bunch of 9 hole rounds this year and have shot anywhere from a 39-47 I'm going to go out and play 9 tonight and treat it like a practice round then go out in the morning and take it very serious over 18 and see what I can score. I've put in a lot of work this year and I really hope I can break 90 I didn't do this at all last year so I'm going to try to play very conservatively and put up the best score possible. Wish me luck!

Good luck, remember golf is hard so don't get discouraged if a few holes don't go as you plan.  

I had high hopes for his season and while my scores are around  7-10 shots lower than they were at this time last year I had hoped they would be even lower but the high winds combined with some old bad habits showing up and the wrong times has kept me from breaking 90 so far this season.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Good luck, remember golf is hard so don't get discouraged if a few holes don't go as you plan.

I had high hopes for his season and while my scores are around  7-10 shots lower than they were at this time last year I had hoped they would be even lower but the high winds combined with some old bad habits showing up and the wrong times has kept me from breaking 90 so far this season.

Thank you! I do my best to not get discouraged but I'm a tad hyper competitive and not seeing results on the score card even though I know the results are there in my swing will be a bummer. I'm really hoping I get some cooperation out of the weather (and my driver) tomorrow! I've realized my best approach shots are from 110-120 out and when I play driver on the shorter par 4s I'm generally 50-75 yards out which is a distance I'm still trying to get comfortable with so playing driver really isn't the right play for me right now so tomorrow I intend on a lot of 4 irons off the tee which should help me avoid any OBs as well. Congrats on improvement over last year btw!

Just now, Lugowskins said:

I like your chances, and don't need good luck.  Have fun!

• Upvote 1

I've posted in this a while ago and just haven't been able to get over the hump. Im 25, and started playing around 3-4 years ago. I shoot 91-95 very consistently but just can't get past playing bogey golf. I shoot a couple pars, a couple dubs, and a bunch of bogeys. I am very confident once I get to the 150 but my long irons are inconsistent and I have no drive (usually hit a 4-5 hybrid off the teebox unless its a dogleg right then I swing for the fences with the ol driver). I know what I need to work on, just haven't been able to fix my slice in my drive. Usually hitting my 3rd from my playing partners 2nd shot.  I think it might be time for some lessons but I don't want to look like a fool going to the pro saying hey I need to fix my drive, just like every other above average golfer who focuses on long game instead of short. 

38 minutes ago, CoachCad8 said:

I know what I need to work on, just haven't been able to fix my slice in my drive. 

That was me last year. I previously sliced my driver so bad that I wouldn't even carry one in my bag. But then I realized that the reason I was always slicing the ball was because of my swing plane. I was coming over the top of the ball rather than swinging inside out. Another thing I had to correct was my stance. I recently posted a thread that shows the stance adjustment I needed to make to correct my slicing. So basically, it was a matter of taking a new and different swing plane and getting into a different stance. Those two measures corrected my slicing. I bought a new driver this year and added it to my bag as a club I can effectively use for the first time

Hopefully the two photos below will be useful for you as they were for me.

ball flight laws.jpg

drive stanceA.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm still a bogey golfer so I feel your pain.   If you read LSW, you'll understand that the separation value is key to lowering your scores.   I understand you don't like your driver and the long irons but that's where you'll make up the biggest difference in your score.   Most pros won't be judgmental.    They want to see you succeed.  

• Upvote 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, CoachCad8 said:

I've posted in this a while ago and just haven't been able to get over the hump. Im 25, and started playing around 3-4 years ago. I shoot 91-95 very consistently but just can't get past playing bogey golf. I shoot a couple pars, a couple dubs, and a bunch of bogeys. I am very confident once I get to the 150 but my long irons are inconsistent and I have no drive (usually hit a 4-5 hybrid off the teebox unless its a dogleg right then I swing for the fences with the ol driver). I know what I need to work on, just haven't been able to fix my slice in my drive. Usually hitting my 3rd from my playing partners 2nd shot.  I think it might be time for some lessons but I don't want to look like a fool going to the pro saying hey I need to fix my drive, just like every other above average golfer who focuses on long game instead of short. 

Just find a good pro, and remember that he/she's the one being evaluated before committing to more lessons.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

I'm still a bogey golfer so I feel your pain.   If you read LSW, you'll understand that the separation value is key to lowering your scores.   I understand you don't like your driver and the long irons but that's where you'll make up the biggest difference in your score.   Most pros won't be judgmental.    They want to see you succeed.  

Agree.

• Upvote 2

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I played my first tournament today, and I stuffed up royally... Everything that could possibly go wring did, and the harder I tried, the worst it got. Shot 113. 

The last few weeks I've been in the low 90s and I have scored 88 twice. 

I will be back out tomorrow and try to spank the course in the bum, I'm sure that will meka me feel better! hahaha!

Peace

Threw away a sub 90 game today, shot 91 with a 9 on a par 4 on the first hole after the turn... Had a rare no lost ball/no penalty shot round though, even though I struggled with the driver today. The course is one with 3 separate 9 hole courses, but the 2 9's we played had rating on the card of 69.8/119 so it wasn't exactly a tough course. Even so, it's the best round I've ever had there and the best round I've ever had this early in the season by far.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

9 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Threw away a sub 90 game today, shot 91 with a 9 on a par 4 on the first hole after the turn... Had a rare no lost ball/no penalty shot round though, even though I struggled with the driver today. The course is one with 3 separate 9 hole courses, but the 2 9's we played had rating on the card of 69.8/119 so it wasn't exactly a tough course. Even so, it's the best round I've ever had there and the best round I've ever had this early in the season by far.

I have recently had a tough time dealing with early to mid round blowups.  Our 10th hole is the 2nd toughest on the course. It's a long par 4 with a really narrow fairway that parallels the driving range on the right and water collection area on the left. If you slightly pull or slice your drive you're likely OB and if you tee off with an iron to make sure you're on the fairway you're at best going to bogey the hole.  To compound the tee shot even more, the tee box is always on an angle so that you can't line up square with it, which usually throws people off.  

Keeping focus after a blow up on that hole has been difficult.  so it's great that you maintained focus and still salvaged a good round out of it.  

Joe Paradiso

1 minute ago, newtogolf said:

I have recently had a tough time dealing with early to mid round blowups.  Our 10th hole is the 2nd toughest on the course. It's a long par 4 with a really narrow fairway that parallels the driving range on the right and water collection area on the left. If you slightly pull or slice your drive you're likely OB and if you tee off with an iron to make sure you're on the fairway you're at best going to bogey the hole.  To compound the tee shot even more, the tee box is always on an angle so that you can't line up square with it, which usually throws people off.  

Keeping focus after a blow up on that hole has been difficult.  so it's great that you maintained focus and still salvaged a good round out of it.  

That's one of the things I've worked on, I used to let blow up holes really get into my head. Being that I'm hoping to play in the city tournament this year I really need to keep that under control.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

9 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Sounds like a successful round, even with the woulda coulda shoulda on 10th. I'll be getting out mid-week for my first venture out this year to my local muni's. I'm typically high 80s to start the year on them (as opposed to the nicer and tougher courses we played here when you visited the area), so here's hoping I can avoid the blowup holes. 

Interestingly, two of my typical courses have a tough 10th hole that can show its teeth after the turn.  Both with a long, demanding tee shot and no easy approach. Probably a favorite golf designer trick. Lull you in with an easy-ish 8th and 9th. Then bam, deflate your sense of confidence just as you think you're getting warmed up. Easy to put up a big number if you lose focus there, particularly if out of rhythm if someone takes a long break. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

33 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Sounds like a successful round, even with the woulda coulda shoulda on 10th. I'll be getting out mid-week for my first venture out this year to my local muni's. I'm typically high 80s to start the year on them (as opposed to the nicer and tougher courses we played here when you visited the area), so here's hoping I can avoid the blowup holes. 

Interestingly, two of my typical courses have a tough 10th hole that can show its teeth after the turn.  Both with a long, demanding tee shot and no easy approach. Probably a favorite golf designer trick. Lull you in with an easy-ish 8th and 9th. Then bam, deflate your sense of confidence just as you think you're getting warmed up. Easy to put up a big number if you lose focus there, particularly if out of rhythm if someone takes a long break. 

Strangely enough, the 9th hole on the South course is much more difficult and normally eats my lunch. It's 516 yard par 5 with a good sized pond on the right side and OB fairly close on the left:

South 9th shelby oaks.jpg

The first hole on the North course is a pretty straight forward par 4 at 397 yards, only thing that adds to the difficulty is it plays a bit uphill:

North 1st shelby oaks.jpg

I know there are a few reasons that led to me having a blowup on this hole. First, I was so relieved that I played the 9th well that I didn't keep focus on this hole. Second, we took a longish break at the turn to grab some food and I'm not used to really stopping at the turn. However, I needed to eat or I most likely would have played worse on the back. Third is twofold. My drive was into the adjacent fairway and there were people on the tee waiting for me to get out of the way so I rushed that shot. Then I noticed that the people behind us had reached the tee so I continued rushing my subsequent shots. Once we were on the next tee and I saw that the group behind us hadn't make the green yet I was able to relax and just get back to my normal play. Knowing why I played the hole so poorly helped me put it into perspective quickly, I think. As opposed to when you have a bad hole and you just can't figure out why.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

11 hours ago, KiwiGolfer said:

I played my first tournament today, and I stuffed up royally... Everything that could possibly go wring did, and the harder I tried, the worst it got. Shot 113. 

The last few weeks I've been in the low 90s and I have scored 88 twice. 

I will be back out tomorrow and try to spank the course in the bum, I'm sure that will meka me feel better! hahaha!

Peace

You got to keep playing in tournaments to get used to it.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

12 hours ago, KiwiGolfer said:

Personally I believe that there is such a thing as trying too hard. When I find myself trying too hard bad things happen and I need to take a couple of deep breaths and relax and get loose

Just now, 9wood said:

Personally I believe that there is such a thing as trying too hard. When I find myself trying too hard bad things happen and I need to take a couple of deep breaths and relax and get loose

I agree, trying to hard for me usually equates to tenseness in my arms and body which doesn't help the golf swing and compounds problems.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

On 4/22/2016 at 9:58 AM, Lugowskins said:

Went out yesterday morning showed up late meeting my buddy and went straight to the 10th hole hit the green on the par 3 then it was all down hill from there. Got in a little groove on the front 9 but overall just didn't play well.

20160424_193623.png

Went out this morning and things went much better. Tee to green it was probably the best ive ever played but i think i only made one or two putts outside of 5ft it was awful i had 39 putts! But hey it was my first ever round under 90 sure it was a par 71 course but I'm counting it! 20160424_193532.png

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 1052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!