IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

Last Saturday at my home course Emeralda Indonesia designed by Arnold Palmer.

My best shot came after 3 horrible shots:

1.  100 yards drive with a driver

2.  100 yards with 5 woods

3.  100 yards with 5 woods

Fourth shot 130 yards  used a Pitching wedge uphill and it went straight to the hole for PAR!!!! WOA

What is in my Audi golf bag:
1. Ping I15 8 degree with Fubuki

2. Miura 15 degree with Fubuki

3. Titleist 18.5 degree with Tour AD

4. Ping G15 21 degree wood

5. Ping G15 23 degree Hybrid

6. Ping S56 P-5 iron with Project X 5.5

7. Miura Wedges with Project X5.5

8. Scotty Cameron Circa 62

9. Titleist Prov1 or Z-Star

I'm excited that I have a "best shot" to report.

Anyway, here's the stage.  I play the front 9 OK but my driver was horrible and long approach shots were mixed.  My driver kicks-in on hole 10 and I play the back 9 great which includes pars, bogeys and double bogeys (no disasters).  Hole 18 is a short par 4 (335 yards) which is nearly driveable for my golf partner who can carry 275-300 yards but not for me.  My driver fails on this hole and I top it for only 100 yards, but at least it was reasonably straight and only in the first cut of rough.  I pull out my hybrid and proceed to strangle the club resulting in a miss-hit... pushed right into an adjacent fairway 90 yards from the pin.

An oak tree about  40 feet high is directly in line with the green.  I can see under it and contemplated playing a worm-burner which is my natural shot shape.   I also thought about a SW since this is a good distance for me but I'm on a very tight lie and I sometimes have problems hitting my SW off tie lies.  So I grab my gap wedge and make perfect contact followed by a beautiful trajectory over the tree and onto the green about 10' from the pin.  I nearly holed the putt for par but tapped in for bogey.

That was an awesome feeling being able to hit that pitch shot over the tree and I kind of have a sense of what some of you low and mid-handicap golfers feel on a routine basis.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I was on a par-5, dogleg left, and hit a pull-draw off the tee.  I ended up in the left rough with no line towards the green at all, so I just pulled out my 6i and aimed for the corner of the dogleg.  Well, I completely duffed the shot just about 20 yards further down the left rough.  I then took my 7i and attempted the same shot, but hoping to cut a bit off the corner by going over a couple trees.  I pulled that off beautifully and was faced with about a 50 yard pitch over a greenside bunker.  The only though running through my head was to not come up short and end up in the bunker.  I didn't come up short, but did overshoot the green and I ended up in thick rough on top of a ridge, with a severe slope away from me and to the right.  So, this is basically a nightmare chip shot for me.  I saw my line, knew exactly where I wanted to land the ball in the fringe, and made the stroke.  The ball tracked exactly as I visualized it and I holed out for par.  As a 30-capper, that felt fricken amazing.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

160 yard par 3 80 yard wide green pushed my shot and also sliced and the pin was on the other side of the green had to pitch it under a tree as well and also was an elavated green couldnt see the flag ha was 5 ft away and dropped the par putt :]

Was playing a really short par 4, about 295 plus it was downhill, hit a really high drive that ended up about 12 feet from the pin.  The downhill drop plus the sky high drive resulted in the ball only traveling about a foot past where it hit, you would have thought I hit a nice 100 yd SW.  Sunk the putt for eagle.

SQ Dymo 10.5°

Idea Pro A12 3H 20°

710 AP2 5-GW SM4 56/11 60/07

White Hot Sabertooth

Sunday, on the hardest hole on our course I was 180 out, in the rough, about 5 yards behind a tree.  Couldn't even see the green.  Severely uphill approach, I hit a 3H with a HUGE slice that rammed into the upslope just short of the green and popped up, trickling to about 3 feet short of the hole.  Made the birdie, first one I've ever seen on that hole.  Best part is I was playing with my Dad and I called the shot before I did it!

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

June 2011 was a crazy good month for me......I holed out for a deuce twice on par 4's........and holed a shot from off the green on an 'unreachable' par 5 for eagle....all in one month.  CRAZZy.......I love it!!  My home course ringer score isn't believable...........(I wouldn't believe it)    My home course ringer scores since 2006.....I've eagled all 4-par 5's and 7 out of 10 par 4's.....INSANE..that's 11 holes out of 18.  call me crazy.....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I pushed my 2nd shot on a par4 right of the green.  I left myself with a 20 yard chip to the pin over a shallow bunker.

Hit it thin, balls rolls hot into the bunker, through the bunker, up onto the green and stops 14 inches from the cup.

Best worst shot I had.

Member: Branch River Country Club

Taylormade Burner Superfast Driver

Warrior Custom 3 hybrid

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Irons 4-PW

Taylormade White Smoke MC-72 putter

167 yard par 3 with water left, deep bunker long, and a very narrow green.  I had never even hit this green before.  I am usually short with a seven iron.  This past weekend I went with a 6.  I angled it toward the edge of the water and brought it back to the middle of the green where it landed and stopped within 5 ft.   The foursome ahead of us had stopped at the tee to let me and my buddy play through and they all watched and gave me the fist bump walking off.  Very cool...

As for the birdie putt....

Hit 2 great shots tonight -

- par 4:  Decent drive but faded about 30 ft behind a tree in the rough.     Could barely see the pin around the tree (145 yards out, downhill).     Hit a perfect 5 iron straight as an arrow - just missed the tree & wound up 18 inches from the pin.   First birdie on a par 4.

- par 5:  Fair drive, decent 7 iron to lay up on the low flat (didn't want to risk a 3 wood & not make the elevated fairway to the left &  be on the slope), smoked a 4 iron from the rough up a blind hill - beautiful shot, landed on the edge of the green about 160 yards or so, 10 ft from the pin - par'd it.    Loving the 4 iron (hybrids haven't seen much action now that I have discovered the joys of well struck long irons) !

What makes these 2 iron shots so memorable is that they were from the rough & I got as much loft & carry as I normally do from the fairway ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A 4 foot putt for par on the 18th today to win the semifinal of our club champs 1up. The ball did a full lap before deciding to give me the win too! Man I was pretty nervous over that one! Now I gotta wait 6 weeks till the guy can play the final!

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

On the dogleg par 4 7th at my home course, I hit a 3-wood damn near as well as I have ever hit it, winding up two and a half feet from the hole. The easy birdie putt was a way cool ending to an average round (they had sent me out on #8 to start because the course was crowded).

Short but deadly par-4 270 to the flag.  250 forced carry over water to a dime sized green with a 15 degree grade.  Hit 5-wood, guessing it rattled the flag stick because it was going to roll over the back, but somehow rolled back to the front of the green.  May have spun back.  Too far to see.  Eagle chip to inches, kicked in the birdie.  I never went for that green before, but I've got so much confidence off the tee now...  Looking forward to many birdies like that one.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• 2 weeks later...
I had a short par 4 where my tee shot left me 70 yards from the pin. I caught my approach thin and dumped it about 12 yards over the back. When I got to the ball, I realized I was in a pickle. I'd hit through the tree line against the back of the green and I didn't have any good options. The edge of the green was about 15 yards away and about 3 feet above the ball, but it sloped down to the front of the green where the pin was. There were low lying branches that basically gave me a 4 foot vertical window to thread the ball in if I wanted to hit the green. To keep the ball that low and hit it far enough, I'd probably end up rolling it off the front of the green, possibly into the protective bunker. My other option was to hit it over a 30 foot tree line from about 15 feet back. I agonized about it for only a few seconds before deciding to go over the trees. It was definitely the more risky shot, but I really wanted to try it. I laid my 56* wedge really open and took a full swing, flicking my wrists a bit more than usual. My contact was good I launched the ball almost straight up and over the trees. It hit the green and stopped in one bounce in its own ball mark. It only went maybe 20 yards, so I was a disappointed in that (I must've [i]really[/i] flipped under the ball), but it felt great to actually get on the green and get over the trees. It's not a very important part of the game, but I've really learned the heights of my shots and my wedge abilities, so when I find myself behind trees I know how to clear them. Obviously sometimes I need to go under them, but I know how to hit over them and it's nice to have that option on the table. I did a similar thing with a wedge on the same course with a tree line a few months ago, and I hit over the tree lines with my irons about once per round one some approach where I badly missed the fairway. And when I make good contact I pretty much always clear them, usually with several feet to spare. It's one of the simple little pleasures, IMO. :-)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)