IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

saevel25
Note: This thread is 2098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

So who was Snoke? Was he Vader's apprentice? Are there other Siths?

I believe from other sources they said that Snoke is not a Sith, and does not abide by the rule of two.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would imagine Snokes background will be a one off in ep 9 probably a quick throwaway line. Luke most likely will be back remember his last line of dialogue “see you around kid”. Leia’s death most likely explained in the space crawl opening. I really hope Finn and Rose plot from 8 means something in 9 otherwise it is a complete waste. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

Are there other Siths?

There were other force-users on the dark side that are not considered to be true Sith. The Sith have the Rule of Two, but even that is followed more in letter than in spirit, and bent as needed according to the whims of the master. For example, Asajj Ventress in The Clone Wars, the animated series which is considered to be canon, was a Dark Jedi but technically not Sith. She was trained by Darth Tyranus (Count Dooku) while the latter was an apprentice of Darth Sidious (Palpatine). She's not considered a Sith Apprentice, though, so the rule is "observed".

The Sith and Jedi orders were just factions, too. There were light side users who weren't part of the Jedi Order and dark side users who didn't follow the Sith doctrine, for whatever reason. Not everybody likes having lots of rules ;-). This stuff also gets really blurred as a lot of it is extended universe stuff that was described in the books but all deemed non-canon by Disney, so nobody really knows what is real or not anymore.

9 hours ago, mvmac said:

I just think it would have been better to answer those questions for the audience and provide a little ethos for Snoke than just making him a generic bad guy. Not saying you have to spend an hour on the guy, the flashbacks of Luke were quick.

It's entirely possible that Snoke was just a powerful Dark Jedi who found an opportunity in the power vacuum to swoop in and take over. Like I said earlier, he was a plot device whose sole purpose was to push and then be betrayed by Kylo Ren so that he could become Supreme Leader. Snoke was just a generic bad guy with superpowers; I don't really care what his backstory is. I agree with what Rian Johnson says here.

Fans didn't know about Palpatine's backstory in the original trilogy, either. Inserting a scene about Snoke's would have killed the pace of the movie and would have generally been out of place. We don't see the scenes from his point of view at all - we have no insights into his thoughts and conflicts - so it would be odd to see a flashback about him. That would leave it to him to reveal his story, which would also be odd: ok I'm going to kill you now, Rey, but first here is my life's story... weird, right? Or does he reveal himself to Hux or Kylo Ren? Both would seem out of character for him to do. Part of his mystique is his secrecy, telling his subordinates his past would serve him no purpose and might possibly reveal exploitable weaknesses. He's an all-powerful being to the audience and that's exactly who he needs to be to the First Order.

Plus, revealing him to be Darth Plageuis or whoever would just be cheesy fan service. Both the Jedi Order and the Sith are dead. Nobody in the galaxy by that point in time would know who Plageuis was and the name would have no significance to any of the characters.

• Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 8:05 AM, cipher said:

I am trying to allow for some time to let this movie grow on me.  

I am glad I decided not to make any early judgement about this movie.  After a second viewing of it I really am starting to like it.  Not my favorite by any means but it is a much needed shift in the films for sure.  The most important explanation that we could have been given in the film, we were given imo.  Light rises to meet the darkness and darkness to meet the light.  

On 12/29/2017 at 6:33 AM, saevel25 said:

I believe from other sources they said that Snoke is not a Sith, and does not abide by the rule of two.

Yeah that is correct, I believe just a powerful dark side force user.  Some think he is the Prime Jedi but I do not think so myself.

• Like 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

9 minutes ago, cipher said:

I am glad I decided not to make any early judgement about this movie.  After a second viewing of it I really am starting to like it.  Not my favorite by any means but it is a much needed shift in the films for sure.  The most important explanation that we could have been given in the film, we were given imo.  Light rises to meet the darkness and darkness to meet the light. 

Each time I found areas I did not like, and areas I like more.

I did not like the phone call trolling scene to start the movie. I can live with the pacing, though seeing the move at 9pm on a weekday didn't help there. Especially after dinner and a few alcoholic beverages.

I really liked Kylo's character more in this movie. The chemistry between Kylo and Rey is much better here, and more complex.

I really like the themes they had in the movie around The Force. The dichotomy of good and evil has always been a theme in Star Wars. This movie really did a good job making things look less of a binary choice. 

15 minutes ago, cipher said:

Some think he is the Prime Jedi but I do not think so myself.

Yea, I don't think he is. I saw a really good image of the mosaic on the island the other day. It basically is a humanoid looking being holding a lightsaber. The representation of the light and the dark side on either side of the lightsaber.  I do not think it representing Snoke.

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

One of the best moments

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Rian addresses Force projection

For the whole thread:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/954403686419058689

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 1 month later...

Steve

This movie was outright awful. I actually think the Last Jedi is worst of any of the star wars films so far. But then i remember that these films aren't for adults, they're for kids and their imaginations. They're just sprinkled with some nostalgia dust to get the adults to take their kids to them. With the exception of Empire Strikes Back, the original trilogy wasn't that great film-wise, either. They suffer from all the same plot holes and head scratchers the new films do. These flicks are for kids. Let them have it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The documentary that comes with the digital purchase is very good. I'm not one for seeing how the sausage is made. It kind of kills the "fiction" for me but it really conveys what a big project it was and the crazy logistics. It's amazing seeing the actors do their thing in the distracting sets. Props to the director for taking all the criticism in stride. He's quite the even keeled guy. 

Steve

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the rehashing an old post BUT.. The Last Jedi is now on Netflix and I watched it again after some time has passed since its release. Sorry I still think they dropped the ball on the Skywalker story. The film looks nice at least. Not a fan. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

2 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

Sorry for the rehashing an old post BUT.. The Last Jedi is now on Netflix and I watched it again after some time has passed since its release. Sorry I still think they dropped the ball on the Skywalker story. The film looks nice at least. Not a fan. 

The more I think about it. The more I think people are correct on the Skywalker story arc. Its not so much him dying, or how he pulled off some awesome doppelgänger Jedi trick from a different world. More so, his isolationist mentality in the movie. 

Besides that, I can't complain much about the rest of the movie. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 2098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!