IGNORED

Golf Sixes - new European Tour short format event

b101
Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't know how many people have seen this, but it's great to see the European Tour try something different with a greensomes tournament. The match play stuff is great and it's good to see another tournament that isn't just straight stroke play over 72 holes. I don't think this is the future for all events, but if it gets a few more into the game and keeps it going, that's good for me! In short:

• Highest ranked European Tour players per country choose their own partner (but that partner can be of a different nationality)
  • Greensomes format
  • Amphitheatres around greens
  • Fireworks and music on first tee (this, I'm less enamoured by)
  • 16 pairs split into four groups - group stages  the first day, knockouts the second (two teams per group quality)
  • Centurion Club
  • A number of players will be mic'd up and you can expect more interaction as with the British Masters, which recently made a really successful return at Woburn and The Grove.

Pace of play should be good and it'll boost the profile somewhat. Full article below.

What do you think? Good, bad or indifferent?

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=320826.html

• Upvote 4

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, b101 said:

What do you think? Good, bad or indifferent?

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=320826.html

An interesting idea.  If the top players from each country actually participate, it could be fun.  If they leave it to relative unknowns, maybe a bit less interesting.

I know there has been some discussion about using a 6/6/6 format in the Newport Cup.  It is good to see others adopting/considering a similar format.

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator

I plan to record some and see what it's like.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sounds worth checking out.  Remind me when it's closer and I'll try to take a look :-)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I might actually go and watch the Saturday, I'm afraid Sunday will be packed as we do have a lot of golfers here! and there's not much to do on the week ends.

I was disappointed to hear that P. Reed withdrew, then competes the same week in the US. He's been replaced by L. Oosthuizen which is pretty good.

7 hours ago, Oz Max said:

I was disappointed to hear that P. Reed withdrew, then competes the same week in the US. He's been replaced by L. Oosthuizen which is pretty good.

Hadn't heard that - that's poor. Thing is, as always with the European Tour, the purses just can't compete -€1m vs. $6m just isn't a level playing field, even though I much prefer the European Tour events. Well, most of them...

Edited by b101

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

12 hours ago, b101 said:

Hadn't heard that - that's poor. Thing is, as always with the European Tour, the purses just can't compete -€1m vs. $6m just isn't a level playing field, even though I much prefer the European Tour events. Well, most of them...

Yes, but then with a much stronger field on the PGA, chances to get the big prize are also slimmer. Reed's chances to win in Perth are much more than at the Genesis I would think

Sounds interesting. I like that they are thinking outside the box there. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, Oz Max said:

Yes, but then with a much stronger field on the PGA, chances to get the big prize are also slimmer. Reed's chances to win in Perth are much more than at the Genesis I would think

First I don't think many people miss Reed not playing in Perth, much better seeing the likes of Oosthuizen,Olesen and other European tour players in the field. Reckon if Reed  played would struggle around Karrinyup  with the bunkering and greens. (my thoughts only) you need to be accurate not long to score well.(from experience of playing country weeks in WA) Reed opening round at Genesis open +1 he 8 back from leaders so got lot work to do to make the cut. )Oosthuizen at -3 in Perth so right in it again, really is defending champion even though it a new format. OZ Max correct in saying slimmer chances of larger pay day on his home turf.  

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

Slight bit of confusion here, I think.  OP is referring to a team event that is going to take place in May.

He didn't mention - although a couple below him, I think, assumed he did - that this week in Australia is also a new event that involves 6 hole matches.  54 holes of individual stroke play to pare down to 24 players, top 8 get a bye to second round of match play, where match play is 6 hole matches all conducted on Sunday.

Should be a lot of fun.

On 2/14/2017 at 5:00 AM, b101 said:

Highest ranked European Tour players per country choose their own partner (but that partner can be of a different nationality)

I don't think this is right. According to the link in your original post the partner must be a compatriot.

2 hours ago, Frank62 said:

I don't think this is right. According to the link in your original post the partner must be a compatriot.

Correct - good spot. Shame, as I'd have preferred it were it not from the same nation.

If the event isn't being distributed on free to view tv or streamed subscription free over the internet then it won't do anything to grow the game imho.  Putting this out on sky tv in the U.K. is going to reach the exact same audience as any other golf tournament, maybe even less because there will be some that don't hold with making any changes to the game.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Well, it wasn't too bad for a first Super 6 kinda tournament. It seemed the players enjoyed the format. The consolation rounds were not necessary I thought, the knock-out hole could have taken place on a different hole, it would have avoided some waiting - they use the 18th hole as a K/O hole, which was also part of the 6 holes they were playing part of the Match-play rounds.

The heat was quite intense on the week end, peaking at a very humid 38 deg Celsius, brutal.

Happy for Rumford who led the 1st 54 holes and still won the Match Play final, the guy has some quality short game and won in his hometown!

• Administrator
On 2/19/2017 at 11:28 PM, Oz Max said:

Well, it wasn't too bad for a first Super 6 kinda tournament. It seemed the players enjoyed the format. The consolation rounds were not necessary I thought, the knock-out hole could have taken place on a different hole, it would have avoided some waiting - they use the 18th hole as a K/O hole, which was also part of the 6 holes they were playing part of the Match-play rounds.

I don't think this was the event that this was talking about.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

I have not watched these unique events as I don't have cable, but I do like the idea of changing up the format for some events. 72 hole stroke play events are great, but it's nice to mix it up sometimes and create a few more dramatic moments in a tournament beyond Sunday afternoon. 

- Mark

Note: This thread is 2508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!