IGNORED

Coolest first-hand interaction with a Tour player

1badbadger
Note: This thread is 2621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What was your most positive experience involving a Tour player?  Can be anyone from the PGA Tour, Champions Tour, LPGA Tour, Web.com Tour or European Tour.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have had some nice conversations with Tommy Watson a few times. Didn't talk that much about golf though. One of our talks was at a Wendy's 3 Tour Challenge. I learned something about TV and two day golf events. They are sometimes played on the same day. The players take a break, change clothes, and play what will be televised the next day. 

I was the construction supt who built Robert Gamez's home. If I recall it was in the Copper Ridge sub division. Never seen a garage so full of golf gear. Seen, and spoke with him during the building of his home. 

My Dad knew Arnold Palmer when he was in the dry cleaning/laundry business, in addition to playing golf.  I was just a youngster. Late 1950s or early 1960s. He ask me if I was going to be golfer some day. I told him no, that I played baseball. At least that's the story my Dad told me. I do remember Palmer smoking a lot of cigarettes. 

I met Jack Nicklaus very briefly at a meeting for the Coyote Springs course. All I remember from that encounter was how hard it must have been for others to do business with him. We all shook hands, at the beginning, and end of the meeting. He and I were the only ones with dry hands. He is one tough businessman when his name is on something. 

I also had a meeting with an LPGA player who's home we built at one of the Lake Las Vegas subdivisions. Off hand I don't remember her name. Actually most of the conversations I had were with her father now that I think about it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, 1badbadger said:

What was your most positive experience involving a Tour player?  Can be anyone from the PGA Tour, Champions Tour, LPGA Tour, Web.com Tour or European Tour.

Kind of a long read, but I have to admit, I enjoy looking back on it every now and then...

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Back in 1987 I was lucky enough to be a marshal at the Buick Open in Grand Blanc, Michigan.   I was around the green on a short par 5 that was bordered by a big tree and a pond when Robert Wrenn, the eventual winner strolled by and was gracious enough to talk to most everyone.    

I haven't been to many golf events but did go to the LPGA Volvik tournament in Ann Arbor this past year.   The ladies we followed were real focused on golf and didn't interact much with the crowd.   

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

We went to the Wednesday practice round in 1990 at Medinah.  We were standing at the tee and I positioned us at a table with a large bowl of fruit, figuring some of the guys might wander over.  Along came a group and Nick Faldo strolled over and proceeded to pick up each peach, gave it a squeeze and then put it back.  I thought about saying something "smart" but decided to keep my mouth shut.  Next group along included Fuzzy Zoeller and Hubert Green.  Fuzzy came over to the bowl and I couldn't help myself and said, "Careful Fuzzy, Nick Faldo already squeezed all the peaches."  Fuzzy burst out laughing, called Hubert Green over and told him Nick had squeezed all the peaches.  They both kept chuckling and said that it figured that Nick would do that.

Things were more relaxed back then.  I recall Bernhard Langer stopping during his practice round to pose with a couple of women while a friend snapped a photo.  The problem was the camera wasn't cooperating but Bernhard just stood there chatting with the women until the issue was fixed.

Some might recognize this hacker.

Jack_1990 001.jpg

• Upvote 4

Brian Kuehn

Cannot remember the year or the hole, but Nicklaus was teeing of with a 3 wood at Colonial when a drunk spectator belched loudly. Nicklaus hit a 100 yard worm burner. He turned slightly, stared impassively at the guy for a second like he didn't even see him and went on to par the hole. The positive aspect? I was impressed with his emotional control, as if the incident was the most usual thing in the world! -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I've gotten to meet a handful of them over the years.  Best experience would be in high school at the Byron Nelson in Dallas.  My buddy had acquired tickets to the post pro-am lunch buffet for the players somehow and the room was jam packed.  After we had gotten our plates...we wandered through the busy room looking for an open seat....I see my buddy waive at me and point to a chair next to him.....I shuffle through the tightly situated chairs and sit down....finally looking up and I'm sitting across the table from Byron Nelson.

I was a stunned high schooler at the time so I believe all I added to the conversation was some "yes' sirs"..... 

Wish I could say there was a swing tip or some pearl of wisdom he tossed our way....but the topics were how bad the chicken was...how great a shape the course was in...just casual lunch chatter.  Great guy....felt like we were having lunch with an old friend.

I don't know if anything like that could happen today with the modern superstars without a thousand cameras being there...a lot of staging....the video turning into a "vine" or whatever titled "2 high school golfers meet Tiger Woods...what happens next will melt your heart"....or some sappy non-sense....

• Upvote 1

I managed a retail golf shop in Ft. Worth that specialized in repair and custom club work.  We did work for all the Tour players who lived in the area...some more than others.  I got to know them on a personal level and became good friends with several of them and played golf or went out to dinner with the wives, which I enjoy.

They have all been very cool and exceptionally generous.  I have received tour issued/prototype clubs, shoes, clothing, a travel cover and other items, but one situation stands out...not because it was a fun experience, but because of what was involved.

I was working one afternoon and got bit by something...not sure if it was a spider or some other insect.  It didn't hurt, but I had an allergic reaction to it and my face started to swell up and I was breaking out in a rash. Mark Brooks was there that day, and he was the one who noticed I was breaking out (I didn't even realize it at first) and suggested I go to the E.R.  Mark isn't known as one of the friendliest guys on Tour, and if he doesn't know you he can seem "less than approachable", but he is actually a good guy.  I couldn't tell you how many times I would be helping a customer in the retail area who saw Mark in the back of the store working on his clubs and ask "Is that Mark Brooks?  Do you think I could get an autograph for my kid?" and when I went to let him know a customer requested an autograph he would drop whatever he was doing immediately and go out and meet them and sign autographs.

Anyway, I'm a mess with a bumpy red rash and my eyes were swelling shut, but I thought I could drive myself and get there before I lost all vision or succumbed to the effects of the bite...you know how us guys are..."I'll be fine.  I got this. I'll be back to finish my shift".  Mark didn't  think that was a good idea, and said he'd drive me to the hospital.  I thought he was going to drive me there and drop me off, but when we got there he came inside with me.  Anyone who's been to the E.R. knows it can be an all-day sucker...there is a lot of waiting around, and that day it was busy.  It was 3 hours before I got to an exam room, and about another hour from there until I was released.  He waited for me the whole time and then drove me home. I mean, I couldn't stand being there, and I was the patient!  It's a whip sitting there with a room full of sick/hurt/bleeding people all afternoon, but he insisted on staying and I thought that was pretty cool. Thanks Brooksie.

• Upvote 5

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Do not want to give his name out, but one of my clients is a former PGA tour player.  Easily the best player I have ever played with.  He was what you would call a journeyman on tour, but did win several millions of dollars and is not hurting these days.  The putter gave him issues or he would have done much better on tour because ball striking is definitely not an issue.

Its interesting to watch someone at that level play the game.  Club selection, course management, shot making abilities, etc.  Its really cool to watch.    Makes me realize how much I do not know about the game, but I try and learn as much as I can when I have the chance to play with him.

• Upvote 1

My best story didn't happen to me, but I was there that day.  On the Tuesday practice round for the 1997 US Open at Congressional, my friend Chip and I had volunteered as marshalls, and were assigned to walk with a group that included Steve Elkington, Jeff Maggert, and Grant Waite.  We were basically supposed to walk just inside the ropes, as a visible presence on a day when the ropes weren't as fully staffed as on the tournament days.  

After nine holes, Elkington and Maggert walk down the long sloping path toward the 10th tee, but Waite wanted to stop by the clubhouse for a bite to eat.  I went with the two guys, Chip went with Grant.  After getting the food, Chip and Grant walked along the back side of the pool enclosure, where some of the member's kids were hanging out asking for autographs.  Grant signed a few, handed them back to the kids, and then the kids handed them to Chip.  Chip was a bit puzzled, until Grant told him "Go ahead, sign them".  So here we are, 20 years later, and someone looks at his souvenir autographed flag, and wonders who the h___ this guy Chip was!

• Upvote 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!