IGNORED

My Swing (PingLuvR)

PingLuvR
Note: This thread is 1567 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

You should research and find a good instructor-Not the one you seem to have now.

I get what he was trying to get me to do.  Also,  if you would have seen by horrible take a way and really flat swing plane and major over the top down swing,  you would realize he's helped me a lot in these few short lessons already.  im hitting the ball MUCH better already.  Like iacas said,  I need to fix the swaying next.  The 3 things I will focus on is,  the no sway, get the hips through and post up left leg.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

Here is one of my lessons from early on.  This is after I was correcting the over the top swing.  The over the top was REALLY bad before this video.  I'm pretty good at fixing things once I know what im doing wrong.  But man,  I was a mess at this point.  

http://www.v1sports.com/Academy/include/player.asp?academy=GGXY&accountid=2100624&swingid=3213589

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

5 hours ago, PingLuvR said:

They do,  but he still posts up.  I don't post up at all.

In order to "post up" the weight has to get forward first. 

Use the red/white sign in the background as a reference. DJ doesn't just start rotating from the top without the weight going forward, notice how the hips transfer and then he extends and stretches his left side.

Also let's not lose sight of the priority here, the backswing pivot needs work. Of course your rotation is going to be off if you sway back and don't turn. The only chance you have of hitting it solid is to slide forward aggressively.

Look at DJ's right hip on the backswing and compare it to yours.

Fix the cause, not the symptom. 

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, mvmac said:

In order to "post up" the weight has to get forward first. 

Use the red/white sign in the background as a reference. DJ doesn't just start rotating from the top without the weight going forward, notice how the hips transfer and then he extends and stretches his left side.

Also let's not lose sight of the priority here, the backswing pivot needs work. Of course your rotation is going to be off if you sway back and don't turn. The only chance you have of hitting it solid is to slide forward aggressively.

Look at DJ's right hip on the backswing and compare it to yours.

Fix the cause, not the symptom. 

Good stuff.  Thanks.  Looking forward to posting another video without the backswing sway to see how it looks.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

4 hours ago, PingLuvR said:

Good stuff.  Thanks.  Looking forward to posting another video without the backswing sway to see how it looks.  

Just one suggestion....post a video when you're practicing, not a video from a lesson.  I'm pretty sure that your instructor edits your lesson video to illustrate whatever point he's trying to make.  Take a video with your cell phone when you're just practicing on your own, and post it here.  

My (relatively uneducated) thought about "posting up".  If your setup is reasonable, your hips are tilted slightly forward.  As your hips rotate in the backswing, your right hip has to move away from the ball and vertically upward, that's simple geometry, a frame (pelvis) rotating around an inclined axis.  This is totally independent of lateral movement, or slide or sway.  Similarly, on the forward swing, as your hips rotate your left (forward) hip has to move away from the ball and upward, so your left leg HAS to extend some.  This left leg extension is probably what other people describe as "posting up".  The left leg extension, posting up, its a RESULT of appropriate hip rotation, which should occur in conjunction with your weight moving towards the target (lateral slide if you want to call it that).  Left leg extension may be an indication of how well or poorly your lower body motion is working, but its not a goal in and of itself.  I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable folks will correct me if I've got that wrong.

I'm going to agree absolutely with those who say significant movement away from the target in the backswing is generally bad.  But forward movement of your lower body in the downswing is essential.  The thing is, your head should remain pretty steady during the whole process.

Good luck with your golf game, changes aren't easy, but we all hope they're worth the effort.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I tried to upload a video from my iPhone but it said 5 mb max.  It was only a 10 second video. 

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

1 minute ago, PingLuvR said:

I tried to upload a video from my iPhone but it said 5 mb max.  It was only a 10 second video. 

You have to upload it to YouTube or vimeo and then embed the link here.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)

Working on not swaying in BS 

Edited by PingLuvR

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

Working on not swaying in BS 

Practice swings without a ball are generally pretty pointless.

They're good for generating a feel and especially if you look in the mirror or a live video feed to see what feels produce the proper mechanics, but they're just about pointless if you're actually looking to make a change that sticks, or see how well something is working.

That said…

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

…this is really no better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@PingLuvR try doing that wall drill next to an actual wall. Learn what you need to feel when making a proper turn and then try to replicate those feelings over a ball.

Most people can't just say, "I'm going to stop swaying" and then just do it. You need to learn to do something differently than you are used to.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

They're good for generating a feel and especially if you look in the mirror or a live video feed to see what feels produce the proper mechanics, but they're just about pointless if you're actually looking to make a change that sticks, or see how well something is working.

That said…

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Ok,  so it's more than just swaying the right knee back?  That's good to now.  Appreciate it.  

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

@PingLuvR try doing that wall drill next to an actual wall. Learn what you need to feel when making a proper turn and then try to replicate those feelings over a ball.

Most people can't just say, "I'm going to stop swaying" and then just do it. You need to learn to do something differently than you are used to.

I'm going to have to look into that drill. I like the sound of it as iacas just pointed out.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

23 hours ago, PingLuvR said:

On my BS,  I am putting pressure on the inside of my right foot and not allowing my knee to move outside. It feels really good.  And I feel my hips rotating on the way down.  

Well .... considering all your sway ... I'd say your plan might be too subtle to educate your hips.  

Here are some great tips ...

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/76114-how-to-make-a-centered-hip-turn/
https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/55080-myth-of-maintaining-your-address-flex-in-the-rear-knee/
https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/66901-importance-of-the-hips-in-the-golf-swing/

The knees are the big movers of the hips.

In the BS, I think of my right hip as moving away from the ball-target line early in the BS. The idea is that if you plan on moving it "backward" (aka away from the ball target line) then it never gets a chance to go laterally.  

To get my right hip going back I ... 

- flex my left knee towards the ball-target line as I straighten my right leg.

If you do both these things sorta simultaneously ... it is impossible to sway.  As you get used to not swaying you can make these hip movements happen a bit more gradually and naturally.  But for now ... try exaggerating them.  

Edited by SunkTheBirdie

Thanks guys.  I guess I didnt realize there as more to swaying than just keeping the right leg from moving backwards. I'm sure it helps,  but I need to figure out the other part.  Iacas showed my head moving roughly 6".  What is allowable to be in the right range?  A couple inches?  Or none at all?  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

3 hours ago, iacas said:

That said…

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

@PingLuvR, I think @iacas already posted this but worth sharing again.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thank you for that.  Ive been practice swinging trying to keep my lower body more still on the BS and also trying to keep my head still and from sliding away from the target.  I'll hit the range this week and try to work on it.  Next video should be much improved now that I know what needs to be done.  Really glad you guys noticed this.  Seems very important imo.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

I have to say one thing...wow.  You guys (especially iacas) were exactly right about swaying.  Today I played 18 and focused on one thing,  keeping my head as still as possible on the BS.  Unreal.  Never hit the ball as well as I did today.  It was like a different person was hitting my shots.  My first 4-5 lessons,  we mainly focuses on take-a-way and swing plane.  I was way too flat and coming over the top big time.  I feel like I have improved those a lot so far.  Now with the swaying that you guys noticed,   it seems like thats a game changer for me and it came a perfect time at this stage of my lessons.  Can't thank you guys enough for noticing is and helping me.  I'm playing again on Sunday and will have my buddy film me while I'm actually hitting balls to see what you guys think.  Thanks again guys.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

Another note.  I could never hit a fairway wood or my new M2  Hybrid 3.  I would always top them.  Today I was mashing it 200 yards and straight.  It all makes sense now.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

no sway is a game changer. 

As you get better you won't need to focus on keeping your head still. Essentially what you want is the movements of your legs and torso coordinate such that the head doesn't move.  Of course the head doesn't really move ... it gets pulled around by the body. 

Keep exaggerating (more left knee right leg action) the legs in the backswing until your brain forgets about swaying. Use the legs and the pivot to power things vs sway power. 

Note: This thread is 1567 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!