IGNORED

Putter: SC Futura 5s or Odyssey O-works Tank 7

Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Considering both. With price not being an factor which would you choose or if you own either one what do you like/dislike?

Personally I was ready to pull the trigger on the sc until I saw the odyssey yesterday. Different set up but I like the it and when adding the counter weight to the shaft it felt really good. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Putters, more than any other club are very individual choices.  It's all about what looks and feels best to you.  Even more, it's about which one you aim best.

You might want to consider an Edel fitting if it's available in your area, or failing that, it's going to come down to the one that simply works best, and speaks to you, not to me.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

25 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Even more, it's about which one you aim best.

This.,..

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I appreciate the responses thus far. However perhaps I should rephrase the question: regardless of personal preferences (feel, aim, look, etc.) which technology would you prefer? The new odyssey has the hinge that allegedly provides instant topspin. Unsure if this is just marketing or will provide immediate improvement.

I can't use a Millenium Falcon to putt with.  

Id never pay that much for any putter.  It's the Indian not the arrow.  

I like a putter that's simple.  Length is important.  I prefer one line to look at.    I can't aim these mallets they make now because looking at them makes me think I am preparing to make a trench run on the Death Star.

Hype hype and marketing.  

You cant buy touch.

IMG_1569.thumb.PNG.7532c765c881e7fc308078a320ca30b1.PNG

Edited by Jack Watson

The only thing I know about these putters is that I've seen them both reviewed recently by Mark Crossfield.  Don't know if you like Crossfield or have seen these reviews but I've linked to them below.  He talks about some of the technology they employ. 

Purely from my point of view - I've tried out some of the Scotty putters at my local range a couple of times and wasn't blown away by them.  For all the technology and looks I didn't feel like I was going to hole any more putts with them.  But that is just me and ymmv.  

I'd agree with the comments above about getting a proper fitting/lesson with something like Edel - that makes much more sense to me than micro hinges and I can believe it would make a difference to my # of putts at the end of the season.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

You cant buy touch.

That's not entirely true.

The weighting profile, shaft flex, etc. can all affect how well your sense of touch is expressed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Plus one on weight.  Weights important.  I prefer light to heavy.  I fail to see shaft flex making a difference on such a delicate swing.  I doubt the shaft flexes when you putt?

Ive tried heavier putters and my sense of distance control is gone anything heavy is a no go for me.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jack Watson said:

I fail to see shaft flex making a difference on such a delicate swing.  I doubt the shaft flexes when you putt?

You'd be surprised, then. It matters, noticeably.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Plus one on weight.  Weights important.  I prefer light to heavy.  I fail to see shaft flex making a difference on such a delicate swing.  I doubt the shaft flexes when you putt?

Ive tried heavier putters and my sense of distance control is gone anything heavy is a no go for me.

Have you been fit for your putter? It's a pretty eye opening experience. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

8 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Have you been fit for your putter? It's a pretty eye opening experience. 

No.  I just tried different putters over the years off and on until I finally settled on one.  Unless it gets damaged/lost/stolen I will stick with it.  

I am not recommending not to get fit or get help with ones putting.  I've read many people comment over the years how much they were helped with various methods/technology like puttlab and aimpoint.

I won't ever really comment on putting technique/method.

Edited by Jack Watson

I would not say for me that the aiming was the most important but how I could consistently get speed correct.  I have changed my grip and style a few times since getting fitted for my Edel putter and I always seem to be able to adjust for the aiming with some practice.  The confidence on getting the right speed for me was imperative as its the one thing that stays constant no matter how my grip/style evolves

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Brian W said:

I would not say for me that the aiming was the most important but how I could consistently get speed correct.  I have changed my grip and style a few times since getting fitted for my Edel putter and I always seem to be able to adjust for the aiming with some practice.  The confidence on getting the right speed for me was imperative as its the one thing that stays constant no matter how my grip/style evolves

That's a good point.  For me with my putter now the speed I get matched pretty decent to what I expect.  If I use a putter that's too heavy I blast the ball way by.  Then my stroke becomes like a hold off and I don't like that feel for me.

To me putting is very very personal and I have seen many people rave about aimpoint especially but I think I am too stubborn to be taught anything on putting.  If I went to Samputtlab and found out I was terrible I would probably still do the same thing anyways.  If I was taught a better way than what I do to read greens I'd probably not do it.  Just the way I am on that stuff with putting.  No desire to spend time practicing putting.  For me striking the ball is what I practice if I practice anything.  

Most people are not like me. Lol

On 5/3/2017 at 10:35 PM, Jack Watson said:

That's a good point.  For me with my putter now the speed I get matched pretty decent to what I expect.  If I use a putter that's too heavy I blast the ball way by.  Then my stroke becomes like a hold off and I don't like that feel for me.

To me putting is very very personal and I have seen many people rave about aimpoint especially but I think I am too stubborn to be taught anything on putting.  If I went to Samputtlab and found out I was terrible I would probably still do the same thing anyways.  If I was taught a better way than what I do to read greens I'd probably not do it.  Just the way I am on that stuff with putting.  No desire to spend time practicing putting.  For me striking the ball is what I practice if I practice anything.  

Most people are not like me. Lol

I was like that quite a bit when I took the game back up after playing some as a kid.  I have been back for about 5 years or so.  I would go to the range and hit an extra large bucket of balls, mostly with my driver.  The thing is, my score never got any lower and I would be in the mid to upper 90s.  Once I spent more time with my 7 iron and made it a point to spend about 30 to 40 minutes around and on the green, my score started dropping dramatically and I have shot my low round this year with a 73.  The reason being I am now comfortable with my putting stroke even though it is not a grip/stroke you may see on tour a lot.  I would rather see a score card without a 3 put than an eagle.

That said, I agree 100% about putting being personal.  I think you have to find your stroke and then a putter that matches.  Once that is done, practice is the very best way to lower your score.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2017 at 4:57 AM, upndown21 said:

Considering both. With price not being an factor which would you choose or if you own either one what do you like/dislike?

Personally I was ready to pull the trigger on the sc until I saw the odyssey yesterday. Different set up but I like the it and when adding the counter weight to the shaft it felt really good. 

I had previously purchased a Seemore Pure Center Blade putter and am still in my review period to exchange it.  Yesterday I tried the O-Works R-line Mallet putter... The ball comes off of the face very soft... I guess I'll have to get used to that different feel.  - -  And I realize you need to putt out on a real green, not just in a golf store...lol... but it was almost hard to miss with this putter...And I like the grip a lot too.  - - So, count me in on the O-Works putter...

I had a futura and liked it fine. Made a lot of putts with it. Especially good at the shorter ones. I can't compare to an odyssey but I switched back to a blade style this year, I seem to have better distance control on lag putts with that style. If u want a good deal on the futura it's just sitting in my basement. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!