IGNORED

Kelly Tilghman comment

bca42
Note: This thread is 5939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is "Lost Ball" really "Jimmy" from SEINFELD???

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is "Lost Ball" really "Jimmy" from SEINFELD???

JaY_B suggests stay on topic please

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Some are saying this is no big deal. But the fact that we are talking about it makes it a big deal. Some on this thread are missing the point. She and Faldo were talking about Tiger Woods and she used the word "lynch". Whether Tiger considers himself black or not doesn't matter. He is a black man. Using that word in connection with the subject of a black man, on live TV is inappropriate. Period. It is offensive. It was a very poor choice of words... and she knows it. As an announcer for TGC or any other channel or network she is on the front line and assumes the responsibility of representing that channel when she is speaking into an open mic. She made a mistake. Was it a big mistake? It was offensive enough for people to sit up and take notice. And once the press got hold of it and the public began talking about it it got to the point where TGC had to take action. They had no choice. You have to pick your battles and this is one they couldn't win in today's climate, like it or not. An apology and perhaps a one tournament suspension would have been enough.

Anyway. That's what I think. I'm tired of this subject.

• Administrator
dude it was a joke, i dont care how she said it, it was a joke, you laugh and then you move on. should she be punished absolutely not.

OK, let me make a joke at your expense. Or perhaps I should make a holocaust joke in the next podcast?

It doesn't matter how she meant it. If that were the case, we could all say "oh, it was a joke" after saying something offensive. "It was a joke" is a third-grade approach to something that some people take rather seriously.
I agree it was a joke, but how stupid do you have to be? I first found out about the comment online, and then later saw the clip of her saying it. When I read it, it can most definately come across as racist, watching the clip it is plain to see she is joking. Not sure if she should be suspended (I wouldn't do it, but if TGC doesn't, do they end up getting some backlash from other groups?) but in the wake of all the other race scandals that have occured in the not so distant past you would think a TV personality would have the common sense not to to use "lynching" in referance to a black man.

Exactly - even if she meant it as a joke or didn't mean to say "lynch" but that's what came out, it simply didn't belong on TV.

I don't even care about this enough to think about whether Kelly is "really" a racist or not. I just don't care. But I am disgusted that so many people are willing to blow off the feelings of others. YOU don't get to decide for others what should and shouldn't offend them. I can plainly see how "lynch" can be seen as a racially tainted word. It is. But as I've said before, if you remove race entirely, Kelly still joked about murdering someone. She didn't say "beat him up" or anything or use a racially tainted word that means "beat up." She used a word that means "murder." That alone is worth a two-week suspension in my book.
What Kelly said was wrong, and she acknowledged it after the fact.

It took her two days to do it. She didn't seem immediately regretful at all. Two days is a looooong time and a lot of listener feedback.

Tiger was ok with it, and it should have been dropped.

Why? Because you say so? Tiger had two options: say "no big deal" and try to move on or make a big deal out of it. Even if he was slightly offended by it, there's more to lose in making a big deal out of it. He knows that. So we can't assume that his words speak to his true feelings - just that his words were the best PR move.

20 years ago, nothing would have been said about this

I think 20 years ago it would have been a bigger deal. 20 years ago even more people knew the racial tint the word "lynch" carries.

People are griping about the noose on the cover of Golfweek, but whose head is actually supposed to be in the noose? Right now, Kelly Tilghman's head seems to be in the noose, and it's unfair.

I agree that the Golfweek editor should have likely not been fired, but the word on the street is that he wouldn't have if he'd been a bit more apologetic on CNN. His interview there was his final straw.

And I also think that Golfweek was irresponsible in trying to prolong this whole thing. Why wasn't it the cover topic the week after it happened? Why did they wait TWO weeks? The whole magazine is built to be turned around in a day or two.
I have nothing but respect for Kelly as an announcer.

Regardless, even you have to admit she made a mistake and said something (even removing race and going with "murder") in poor taste.

Hell, Cody, you're the guy who hates Tiger because he vents by swearing. I'm a little surprised you're so quick to give Kelly a pass when she giggles about murdering people in back alleys.
Kelly seems like a nice enough person, but she messed up live on the air. TGC's punishment was a little harsh.

Agreed, agreed, disagreed. Two weeks isn't a big deal.

She clearly was joking around and didn't mean any harm. It was simply a very poor choice of words by a relatively inexperienced broadcaster. That said, she is a terrible announcer and shouldn't even be on the air.

Agreed on all counts there as well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I watch the golf channel for tournament play, playing lessons from the pros, and other instructional stuff.

the commentary (19th hole, etc...) really don't interest me.

I do watch the other shows as background noise and did hear her comments after I found it on u tube (just because of the rukus it started).

Sadly GOLF has turned the way of the NFL where every press conference and peoples comments are the hot news of the day....

Who CARES..how does it effect your life, your kids education, etc...

BOTTOM LINE...she is just a talking head that couldn't get her dream job at a news channel and made a dumb comment.

I do have to give her some slack with all these wanna bees trying to call out Tiger (Rory..Jason Day, etc..)

Tiger gives her interviews and she was trying to defend him I think...just didn't choose the correct delivery.

In the end we have much more to worry about as a nation then a Ill stated opionion in a 5 second on air respone...give me a break.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

It sucks what is happening to her, but she deserves it. As a face of the golf channel she messed up and has to pay for it. I understand that Tiger has said the matter is dealt with and is over, but I guarantee you this will not end for a while. It was something that should not have been said and something that will be remembered for a while whether she was joking or not.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

didnt she mean(in a bad choice of words) that the other players were in envy of tiger's ability?

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator
BOTTOM LINE...she is just a talking head that couldn't get her dream job at a news channel and made a dumb comment.

Let's not make assumptions, particularly when they're like this. By all accounts, THIS is more her dream job than anything at a plain old news channel.

didnt she mean(in a bad choice of words) that the other players were in envy of tiger's ability?

Uhm, no. She said the only way to beat Tiger was to murder him (in a racially historical way).

There's a big difference between "they envy him" and "to beat him they have to murder him."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What happened to forgive and forget? Nowadays, if anyone makes the slightest mistake that anyone takes offensively, then everyone gangs up on them and wants them crucified. They call for their job, they sue, and unfortunately, they generally get what they want. This is an absolutely retarded issue. She made a comment, people got bent out of shape, she apologized, but still that isn't enough. She hasn't lost her job and her life hasn't been ruined so ,oh lord no, we cannot settle for that.

For fvck sake people. Worry about real problems, real crimes, real freaking ISSUES.

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

• Administrator
What happened to forgive and forget?

Who is failing to do these things?

"Forgive and forget" doesn't mean you don't punish people when they screw up. I've "forgiven" her, it will obviously take awhile to "forget" the comments, and we move on. I don't see many people here "getting bent out of shape" and calling for Kelly's life to be ruined, for her to be fired, etc. I think you're way out of line in characterizing the general opinions of everyone who has a different viewpoint than you.
For fvck sake people. Worry about real problems, real crimes, real freaking ISSUES.

Uhm... How about you stop telling other people what they should care about.

And please don't try to subvert the language filters. It just earned you some negative reputation.

This happened, she got suspended for 2 weeks, Tiger hasn't made a big deal out of it, end of story(for me at least). Oh well.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I don't see many people here "getting bent out of shape" and calling for Kelly's life to be ruined, for her to be fired, etc.

Then you have obviously not read some of the posts in this thread calling for her job, saying she is terrible, shouldn't be on the air, etc.

You can't believe that if she lost her job over this situation that she would be able to just pick up where she left off with some other company....
I think you're way out of line in characterizing the general opinions of everyone who has a different viewpoint than you.

Haha, now that's just funny coming from you.

Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I don't know whether to get involved in this conversation anymore I am just going to say maybe this thread should be locked aswell, especially considering the PM's sent to me by Iacas, but I don't want to get in more trouble

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Yeah, honestly, I'm done with this thread. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with him because, well, it's his forum.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

• Administrator
Then you have obviously not read some of the posts in this thread calling for her job, saying she is terrible, shouldn't be on the air, etc.

I've read virtually all the posts here. The vast majority that disagree with you that she didn't do anything wrong aren't calling for her job and launching into tirades.

A few have said she should be fired... because she's a horrible announcer. I tend to think those people have a valid position. But that's got nothing to do with her comment.
You can't believe that if she lost her job over this situation that she would be able to just pick up where she left off with some other company....

Uhm, probably not, but she didn't lose her job and I've never said that she should have. So what's your point, exactly?

Haha, now that's just funny coming from you.

Drop the attitude, dude, and learn the difference between an attack on someone's point of view and an attack on a person themselves. Suffice to say, I think your summary of the points of view of those who oppose you is grossly out of whack with what's been said.

[QUOTE=iacas;101015]Let's not make assumptions, particularly when they're like this. By all accounts, THIS is more her dream job than anything at a plain old news channel.

Not talking about a local news channel, But in Tampa they probably make much more than she makes at the hallowed grounds of the golf channel. For stupid comments like hers she is stretching to make an impact.

I am just a dumd azz contractor, but know better then to say what she said.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

• Administrator
The utility and purpose of this thread has come to an end.

Note: This thread is 5939 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!