IGNORED

Help with a GHIN question about posting scores

yellowboy
Note: This thread is 2542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a question about GHIN scores - I recently started keeping a handicap and have been posting my total scores.I am currenly a 16.7.

I heard that you can only take a maximum score on a hole based on your handicap but I have been posting an honest total (yes some 8, 9's and 10's). I read a 7 is max for me after I posted about 25 scores.

My question is am I cheating by posting actual scores (or cheating myself ?)  Thanks

Welcome to TST.   Glad you found us.    Tell us a little about yourself, location, how often you play, other interest, etc..

Here's a link to the USGA ESC page  link.   

Read the "How to" section and enjoy the forum.

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First things first...

Your equitable stroke control (esc) maximum score for any given hole is based on the course handicap for the course and tees that you're playing, not your index.  To calculate your course handicap, multiply your handicap index (16.7) by the slope of the course and tees that you're playing, and divide that by 113.  Round to the nearest whole number.  

If your course handicap is between 10 and 19, the maximum that you can post on any given hole is 7.  If it's between 20 and 29, you can post an 8.  Realize that these esc scores only affect what you post for handicap reporting, they don't change your actual score for the round.

Now, to answer your question...

If you are posting scores in excess of the maximum esc score for any given hole, you're artificially increasing your handicap.  You're therefore cheating anyone that you play against because you're getting more strokes than you're actually entitled to.

Make sense?

Welcome to the site, stick around!

:beer:

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

4 hours ago, yellowboy7 said:

I have a question about GHIN scores

Also to make things clear to you and other readers - as @David in FL mentioned " If your course handicap is between 10 and 19, the maximum that you can post on any given hole is 7.  If it's between 20 and 29, you can post an 8" it is based on the "Course Handicap" not on a players Ghin Index....

Often a player with their Ghin Index near 10 and 19 can have a Course Handicap which makes a difference.

Guy's like @David in FL and @DaveP043 seldom make any double bogeys and have no need to adjust any scores...  :-)

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

24 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Also to make things clear to you and other readers - as @David in FL mentioned " If your course handicap is between 10 and 19, the maximum that you can .

Guy's like @David in FL and @DaveP043 seldom make any double bogeys and have no need to adjust any scores...  :-)

I thought you said that you had given up smoking the ganja!

:-D 

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I thought you said that you had given up smoking the ganja!

I did for a long time but, @Golfing Dad hooked me up with some super-duper Cacti Juice when we were at the Newport Cup and I fell off the wagon again.  :-O

• Upvote 1

Most courses also post a course handicap conversion chart, so you don't have to do the calculation yourself. It's often in the shitter, for some reason.

• Upvote 1

"Witty golf quote."

Thanks for the replies - but that leads to another question - How would I get an initial handicap starting out IF I did not post actual total scores ?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, yellowboy7 said:

Thanks for the replies - but that leads to another question - How would I get an initial handicap starting out IF I did not post actual total scores ?

Good question.

One is suppose to start by assuming the highest possible handicap index (36.4 for men and 40.4 for women) and use an ESC limit of "9" (10 for women).  Once one has an initial index, one uses whichever ESC hole limit that is appropriate. 

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Just for my own interest, I use a phone app to calculate. Will the app normally adjust for Esc? If not, are you adjusting by hole, based on the hole handicap on the card , using the numbers in the link above? thks

4 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

Just for my own interest, I use a phone app to calculate. Will the app normally adjust for Esc? If not, are you adjusting by hole, based on the hole handicap on the card , using the numbers in the link above? thks

Are you talking about a handicap app, like the USGA GHIN app?

It depends on your app.  If you enter your score hole-by-hole, some will automatically adjust any hole in which you enter a score that exceeds your ESC maximum.  

Most people simply enter their total score after each round though.  In that case, you just need to look at your scorecard and note, as an example, that you scored an 8 on one hole, but since your ESC maximum is 7, you need to enter 88 for handicap reporting, instead of the 89 you actually shot.

Does that answer your question?

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

4 hours ago, yellowboy7 said:

How would I get an initial handicap starting out IF I did not post actual total scores ?

Scores can be corrected by the association or golf staff if or when you notice an entry had an error.
In your case not understanding ESC adjustments, simply call or speak to them and they will make all corrections.

Thanks but I don't keep my scorecards after I enter the score, but I will from now on. Well at least I found out that I am not as bad as I thought I was !!

47 minutes ago, yellowboy7 said:

Well at least I found out that I am not as bad as I thought I was !!

One other point about the Ghin Index is that it reflects the players "Current Potential" not so much a reflection of the score average.
While a player may have a Course Handicap at a certain course they play, it may and usually is different at other courses or tees.

This is where Course Rating and Slope come into play. They reflect a players Ghin Index at all courses throughout the country.
This often helps a player decide which tees that would be recommended to play for enjoyment.

Note: This thread is 2542 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!