IGNORED

Playing Lessons From the Pros

Ben
Note: This thread is 5165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Never saw the Feherety one; I'll have to look for it. I like most of them. I also really like the ones "Personal Lessons" where they go out on the course with 2 golfers and give a playing lesson. The ones for Rocco Mediate and Brad Faxon are my favorites in that series.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

• Administrator
Never saw the Feherety one; I'll have to look for it. I like most of them. I also really like the ones "Personal Lessons" where they go out on the course with 2 golfers and give a playing lesson. The ones for Rocco Mediate and Brad Faxon are my favorites in that series.

Personal Lessons seems to have been canned. They had those two and the three with the woman (I forget which - Kathy Whitworth perhaps?).

I'm a lower handicap player, so I preferred "Playing Lessons," but I thought "Personal Lessons" had a lot of value as well (but a bit more for the mid- to high-handicapper).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am actually obsessed with this show, I set my dvr to record them whenever they come on so I'm pretty sure I've seen them all. I wish they would sell a DVD set...

I loved Calvin Pete's episode the best, with Thorp a close second. Faldo had his moments, but when they did the interview with him reclined on a hillside overlooking a fairway I wondered what the hell I was watching... very odd. McCord was funny too...
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

How about that McCord chip off the sprinkler head that almost went in?!

w
In my bag:
- SQ Sumo2 10.5* Driver with stiff shaft
- Rapture 13* 3 Wood
- i3+ Blades
- 52* Gap Wedge- 56* Vokey Sand Wedge- 60* Vokey Lob Wedge- White Hot XG Marxman Mallet with 35" shaft

I'm totally addicted to this show. I like all of them. Feherty and Faldo are two of my favorites along with Arnold Palmer and his grandson. Hale Irwin and Ian Poulter were both pretty good as well.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

The season premiere features Jason Gore with Carson Daly. I've read where Daly was a really good golfer so it should be an interesting show.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
I'm finding the 2008 series to be a big, BIG disappointment.

The dumb graphics are fancier, but I don't even like those much. Nor did I like the really old ones where Rich Lerner would wax philosophical for four minutes out of the 22 of each show, but this post is about the new ones, or the "Stephanie Sparks" shows with the green graphics.

The new shows focus WAY too much on Stephanie. I don't really want to see her swing.

The new shows focus WAY too much on stuff that has nothing to do with golf. Ian Poulter's clothes? Who cares?

The new shows focus WAY too much on the friendly bets and/or competition between Stephanie. I don't want to see Stephanie at all. In the old shows, you had to pay attention to even see who the guy was that was playing.

The old shows just followed a guy around. The host would ask a few questions now and then, but mostly it was the pro talking on his own about whatever struck him. Now, Stephanie feels the need to ask questions. It feels stiffer and, in the end, we get a lot less information. LAME.

Also as a result of the Sparks injection, the new shows have less golf tips, less golf shots (hit by the good pros, anyway), and - basically - kind of suck.

WTF does Carson Daly have to do with "Playing Lessons with the Pros"? Get that joker off one of my favorite shows.

They're killing the show, and right quick.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm finding the 2008 series to be a big, BIG disappointment.

Could not agree more!

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I absolutely love this show. You learn so much watching an episode.

I never liked the Personal Lessons. Didn't like watching a couple of amatures hack it around and then the pro give band aide tips. Show me how the pro approaches his round!!

They have this show on golf channel on demand now.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I really like the new style of the show. The old style was good but a bit boring, the new one is a lot more entertaining to watch.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

• 1 year later...
I was watching "Being John Daly" on the Golf channel and afterwards I ran across this gem of a show. Essentially what it is is a show in which a pro golfer plays 4-5 holes with a celebrity (David Toms and Samuel L. Jackson for example) and the pro gives tips as they play. They sometimes hit shots after their original to help teach a point or whatever, and you get to learn a little about the celebrities.

This show has helped my game IMMENSELY because its not like watching 30 minutes of someone hit the same putt, etc. Its advice that shows you how to play situations as they will arise in a normal round, and the tips are very practical adjustments and things to do on the course. Drills help my fundamentals but you can't do them on the course, which is where I fall apart.

Sorry if this post is long winded, I'm about to go to FL for a week of golfing from Cleveland where I live. I've got new sticks and I lost 25 lbs in the offseason as part of a general push to get my health in order, gonna see if I can't get the index under 20 ;)

Take care all!

Currently Using:

Driver Burner '09 9.5º Stiff +2"
Woods: Burner 15º Stiff +2" HiBore 19º
Irons: r7 TP +2", +2ºSW: CG12 60ºPutter: OZ 5Balls: TP Black

I love that show. did you see the one with john daly. he had some good tips about how he chips one handed before his rounds to get ready and putts one handed. it actually helped me from breaking my wrist and trying to help the ball get up.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

yeah, i love that show. crazy thing is, those famous people getting tips are all, with the exception of samuel l., really damn good. nick faldo was playing with someone, i forgot who, and he was matching faldo almost shot for shot.

Faldo was playing with Kyle MacLachlan--the actor from Dune and Twin Peaks (the TV show, not the restaurant) He was ranked #22 of the celebrities that golf via GD.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I agree with the recent posts

one of the coolest shows on golfchannel
somehow much more helpful than many of the more technical, "instructional" shows
with this show, somwhow, it's just more or less:
>you watch the show
>it's fun
>you don't analyze it too much, but somehow the next time you play, you're playing better

I really liked JB holmes outdriving Stephanie Sparks on his knees.

That was Really Cool!!

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Wow, this is slightly off topic but great job mods! They linked my new thread to a post made back in '08... I love it!

And Jackson wasn't too bad of a golfer, I think first impressions are everything and on #1 he shanked his hybrid and then couldn't chip. Otherwise he was decent.

Currently Using:

Driver Burner '09 9.5º Stiff +2"
Woods: Burner 15º Stiff +2" HiBore 19º
Irons: r7 TP +2", +2ºSW: CG12 60ºPutter: OZ 5Balls: TP Black

Note: This thread is 5165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!