IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2017

Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

July 16

If I walk into one of our bunkers and it's hard, I will just pick the shot off the top. If I try a blast, the SW often skips off the hard sand and you get a shot 20 yards over the green. 

Sounds like many of our bunkers.  When you say "pick the shot," what do you mean?  I wonder how many of my bad sand shots are bad technique (certainly some) and how many are that there isn't much that can be done with those bunkers.  But then again, I so rarely see a good player hit a bad shot, even from our bunkers ... but maybe they know when to pick it off the top and can do so.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Shindig said:

When you say "pick the shot," what do you mean?

Basically, pick it off the top of the sand with a PW (really hard sand) or a SW (softer sand that's beaten down by rain). This is hit the ball first, much as you would do with a tight lie chip shot. Main difference: you need a bit more follow-through on the sand shot.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

18 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Basically, pick it off the top of the sand with a PW (really hard sand) or a SW (softer sand that's beaten down by rain). This is hit the ball first, much as you would do with a tight lie chip shot. Main difference: you need a bit more follow-through on the sand shot.

I'm going to practice this next time I get a chance.  Thanks!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 16:  Army Reserve Family day so I spent the day with my son doing egg toss, water balloon toss and piñata.  I tried to keep my left wrist firm while doing the egg toss and picturing a 10-30 yd pitch shot.  Just kidding.  Chipped and pitched about 70 balls before and after the picnic.  Practiced picking out a target and trying to hit it.  In the end I placed my ball tube which is slightly wider than a golf ball and tried to hit it from about 10 yards.  I hit it 6 times out of 16 balls which I thought was pretty good.  

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

(edited)

Still a problem with entries going through :-(

7/16 - slow swings with 8i working on steady head and maintaining my bookend-walls through swing 

7/17 - at Lake for the week; brought 8i with me just for "5min challenge"....wall drill followed swings with 8i focused on steady head and maintaining bookend walls

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

7/17/17:

Wall drills for 5 min, focused on posture.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7/17

Practiced putting indoors for 15 mins with my new Vice golf balls (looking forward to trying them out on the course!). Focused on not accelerating or decelerating..smooth motion.  Varied distance 4-8 feet.

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

July 17

Practiced putting off the fringe for 20 minutes. I missed two 8i chip shots last week off of shaggy, spongy fringe... want other options.

4 hybrid (22*) seemed to work well. Smooth sole rides over turf better than putter, or certainly an 8i.

Basically, a putter works OK if you have a short run to the actual green. It you have a couple of feet of soggy fringe, the 4H gives ball a little bloop lift to get it running past the fluff.

I used this a couple of years back in wet summer when low-lying greens has moon-crater turf around the sides.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I got a good 2.25 hour practice day in.  

Range:  I got a medium bucket.  I can't remember the last time I got a medium bucket for me prior to yesterday, and now I've done it twice.  I hit a good mix of full shots (focusing on abbreviating my finish -- if you think I'm kidding, look at my latest swing.  I saw it, sent to evolvr anyway, and decided that's what I'm working on full swing today), punch shots using Drew's technique/video (I finally hit a punch successfully on the course a few days ago, after a wayward second shot on the par-5 18th left me with no shot at the green.  Punch + wedge pulled off and I had a putt for par that I missed;  better than pitching out sideways and hitting a mid-iron to the green), flighted wedges (50 degree and PW), and pitch shots.  And about a half dozen driver shots, focusing on set up and picking a target.

This bucket of I think 65, give or take, balls took me about an hour and a half.  That's probably a bit too fast for that many balls.  

I then spent about 45 minutes on the putting green.  I was focusing on set up and comfort with the motion.  After I was a little comfortable, I spent some time on 4' 8' and 12' putts, but not on a particular drill.  My putter today felt like I was missing the ball now and then -- a feeling I seek in my irons (and so rarely get with any club).  In any case, it was nice seeing a number of 12' putts sink, and hopefully that starts happening on the course... ;-)  

July:  17 for 17 so far.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

July 17:  busy Monday so I only had a few minutes to swing the orange whip.  Worked on shoulder turn in the mirror and just got some reps in.  That's it!  Looking at getting a metal ruler to work on putting drills.

July 18

Practiced swing motion for 10 minutes before meeting. Used my office window as reflecting mirror.

Focus points:

• stretch back to horizontal on takeaway to take slack our of start.
  • feel set point at top, make sure rotate to full backswing, but don't overswing.
  • hip kick at top to start downswing.

7/18

Practiced 7 irons into my backyard net for 20 mins.  Feels like I've taken 2 steps back.  Hooked a few, after that started chili dipping them and grounding some out.  Was out of rhythm as I got a little frustrated, started a slower take away but had quickened my down swing.  Got it under control for the last 3 shots, but overall this session was a it of a struggle.  Determined to keep at it!

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

July 18 - Mirror work at the gym. My other knee is sore now after doing PT exercises two day in a row. Note to self: Don't do PT exercises two days in a row.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7/18/17:

Hit a five each of 56°, 48°, 9i, 7i, 4h, and Driver, focusing on tempo and alignment.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7/18 - pitch swings x 10 mins

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

July 18.  As has been a usual Tuesday this summer, I was meeting with friends after work and had a little over two hours' downtime between end of work and meeting with friends.  Medium bucket at the range (practices included full shots, trying to not over-swing and focusing the practice swings on that, punches with 5- and 6-iron, flighted wedges, half wedges) and then 45 minutes of putting, 4' 8' and 12' putts, again trying to be more comfortable with a putting stroke I'm not yet used to.

-- Michael | My swing! 

July 18:  Wife and kids were doing their thing so after work I went to the club and had a good practice session.  Warmed up with a 9 iron and worked on half swings to get better contact.  Then did some work with the driver which hurt me last time I played.  Working on my shoulder turn which gets me in a better position at the top. 

Then I went to the pitching/chipping green and worked on some different shots from different lies.  Of course, I did double hit one shot but it did't get into my head too much.  I took 5 balls in the bunker and was 5 for 5 out with the farthest about 10 feet away from the pin. 

Finally, spent about 20 minutes putting.  I have a hard time practicing putting because I get bored.  I line up some putts, work on 5 to 6 footers.  work on some longer putts then wrap it up.  Hard part about our course is there is a public restaurant which overlooks the putting green and I always feel like someone's watching me.  I've been putting pretty good so I just want to keep the feel I have right now anyway. 

7/19/17:

Hit some light wedges in the yard focusing on tempo and balance.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Note: This thread is 2452 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!