IGNORED

2017 John Deere

BallStriker
Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
19 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Maybe, but who cares.......I am happy for the kid and, quite frankly, do not understand why some folks have an issue with him.....dude is just a bit different

Some people don't like the way he's different.

I don't necessarily like it either, but I will say I'm glad that there's someone with a bit more personality out there on the PGA Tour. The last thing we need is more robots.

10 hours ago, Single Length Irons Guy said:

Here are some others who didn't graduate from college:

What's that got to do with anything?

8 hours ago, David in FL said:

The issue here is whether someone who doesn't even have a bachelor degree should claim the distinction of being a scientist, specifically a physicist, and be held up as an expert in the field....

Has he done that? Or has he said he's taking a scientific approach to the game?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Has he done that? Or has he said he's taking a scientific approach to the game?

At a minimum, he's allowed himself to be portrayed as such, and received compensation for doing so...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, David in FL said:

At a minimum, he's allowed himself to be portrayed as such, and received compensation for doing so...

Where?

If it's the commercial where he "pinches" a ball and it drops onto a virtual 3D holographic green, or whatever… then I disagree that he's portraying himself as "a scientist."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Where?

If it's the commercial where he "pinches" a ball and it drops onto a virtual 3D holographic green, or whatever… then I disagree that he's portraying himself as "a scientist."

He's allowing himself to be portrayed as such.  

In David's bag....

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

He's allowing himself to be portrayed as such.  

I disagree. He's allowing himself to be portrayed as using data to help him improve his game, scoring, make better decisions, etc.

And… you don't need a degree to be a scientist. But hey, I have two. And that one in French…

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I disagree. He's allowing himself to be portrayed as using data to help him improve his game, scoring, make better decisions, etc.

And… you don't need a degree to be a scientist.

You need more than a high school education and absolutely no professional experience to be a scientist....

In David's bag....

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

You need more than a high school education and absolutely no professional experience to be a scientist....

Check the nearest dictionary. Or Wikipedia. Or whatever. They don't talk about degrees or professional experience.

I acted as a scientist before I got my degrees in medicinal chemistry and computer science. Hell, my junior research paper was one of the most scientific things I've ever done (testing derivatives of MDMA for the treatment of Alzheimer's), and I was neither paid nor had a degree at the time.

The days I write code - using my "computer science" degree - I'm not doing anything "scientific."

Look, hate him for whatever reasons you want, but you've defined "scientist" differently than almost any accepted definition and you've said he's allowing himself to be portrayed as a scientist, and he's not.

Yea, I think he can come off as an insufferable know it all. I think it rubs people the wrong way. I like his personality for the game which tends to have golfers show very little of it. 

I never got the feeling he was trying to portray himself as a scientist. I think we could classify him more as a nerd than a scientist. He geeks out over golf and has his strong opinions on it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Check the nearest dictionary. Or Wikipedia. Or whatever. They don't talk about degrees or professional experience.

I acted as a scientist before I got my degrees in medicinal chemistry and computer science. Hell, my junior research paper was one of the most scientific things I've ever done (testing derivatives of MDMA for the treatment of Alzheimer's), and I was neither paid nor had a degree at the time.

The days I write code - using my "computer science" degree - I'm not doing anything "scientific."

Just doing something "scientific" doesn't make a scientist.  

Regardless though, my complaint is more the intimation of expertise where none really exists.  And I'm sorry, but in the grand scheme of things, a junior under grad simply isn't anywhere near expert in anything...

In David's bag....

If someone really thinks that commercial is him allowing himself to be portrayed as a scientist than good god, I don't know what to say anymore about where our society and opinions are going, but nowhere good.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Regardless though, my complaint is more the intimation of expertise where none really exists.  And I'm sorry, but in the grand scheme of things, a junior under grad simply isn't anywhere near expert in anything...

He's an expert at playing golf.

4 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

If someone really thinks that commercial is him allowing himself to be portrayed as a scientist than good god, I don't know what to say anymore about where our society and opinions are going, but nowhere good.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

You judge the direction in which  society is moving based on these opinions?

Oh my...  :-\

1 minute ago, iacas said:

He's an expert at playing golf.

Absolutely.  No argument at all.

In David's bag....

20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

You judge the direction in which  society is moving based on these opinions?

Oh my...  :-\

Absolutely.  No argument at all.

Considering everyone has to hate on anyone slightly different than the rest of the flock anymore and be full of absolutely unreal opinions about everything, yes, yes I do.  It's pathetic.  This forum is full of hate for BD... and why exactly?  Because he's not the status quo?  People need to stop being so opinionated over every other human being on this planet and worry about themselves.  It's a microcosm of whats wrong with our society today.  Sorry you don't see that.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

4 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Considering everyone has to hate on anyone slightly different than the rest of the flock anymore and be full of absolutely unreal opinions about everything, yes, yes I do.  It's pathetic.  This forum is full of hate for BD... and why exactly?  Because he's not the status quo?  People need to stop being so opinionated over every other human being on this planet and worry about themselves.  It's a microcosm of whats wrong with our society today.  Sorry you don't see that.

And here you are "hating" on those who express an opinion different than yours.

Hypocrisy.

In David's bag....

Wait, that's the commercial we're thinking portrays him as a scientist?

Yikes.  No... he's being portrayed as a consumer of science at most.

If you want to see a professional athlete portrayed as a scientist in a commercial, I think you need to look at one for headphones (because it's getting OT, I'm hiding one such video behind a spoiler tag)

Spoiler

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

13 hours ago, David in FL said:

And here you are "hating" on those who express an opinion different than yours.

Hypocrisy.

Lol, whatever you wish to believe.  Facts aren't opinion.

6 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Lol, whatever you wish to believe.  Facts aren't opinion.

Which facts do you refer to? David has an opinion and you have yours. There are no facts in yours or his last few posts, just opinion. The only facts in this thread are BD won the John Deere and majored in physics in college but left early to pursue a career in golf. BD likes to use a scientific approach to improve his game.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 hours ago, iacas said:

you've said he's allowing himself to be portrayed as a scientist, and he's not.

http://www.skratchtv.com/sk-one-brysonscience-v6c

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!