IGNORED

7 Iron has lost its lustre

Note: This thread is 2461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I cannot seem to hit my seven iron well. It used to be  my go to club and I had a lot of confidence in it. Lately I just don't feel good swinging it. It is only slightly different than the rest of my irons in that it is a Hogan Edge but with a Legend stiff graphite shaft while the others are regular flex. I hit the 5 and 6 irons okay. I am thinking about getting another hybrid  to replace it and am considering a 25 deg.  I have lost about 40 yards in all clubs in the past 18 months or so but the hybrids seem to be holding true. My favorite hybrid is the Bobby Jones Black 4H.  Looking at Tour Edge to match driver and fairway wood, probably XCG7 or E8  and beta's are okay. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I cannot seem to hit my seven iron well. It used to be  my go to club and I had a lot of confidence in it. Lately I just don't feel good swinging it. It is only slightly different than the rest of my irons in that it is a Hogan Edge but with a Legend stiff graphite shaft while the others are regular flex. I hit the 5 and 6 irons okay. I am thinking about getting another hybrid  to replace it and am considering a 25 deg.  I have lost about 40 yards in all clubs in the past 18 months or so but the hybrids seem to be holding true. My favorite hybrid is the Bobby Jones Black 4H.  Looking at Tour Edge to match driver and fairway wood, probably XCG7 or E8  and beta's are okay. 

You can get a set of E8 irons for next to nothing right now. I think if you went the RBG route or Ebay you could get perhaps a 7 or 8 club set for no more than $250... I think if you wanted to do the hybrid thing, the E8 hybrids are around $70 maybe even less, I haven't really checked pricing on the E8 line lately. I wouldn't necessarily, get a 25 degree hybrid to replace a 7-iron that probably has closer to 35 or 36 degrees of loft due to it's age.

Come on over, @Hacker James play an almost full bag of Exotics clubs, the water is fine.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I wasn't sure whether this thread was going to be about lost infatuation with the 7 iron above all others or asking for a recommendation for golf club polish.

Seven iron lost it's luster!  Try new Polish Iron polish!  Crafted by Capucin monks in a location so secret even THEY don't know where it is!  Restores brilliance, and playability, in just one application!  Call right away!  Operators are standing by!

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

Come on over, @Hacker James play an almost full bag of Exotics clubs, the water is fine.

What? and give up my trusty Hogans?...heresy....

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

New Ben Hogan irons - existing sets - are on sale now for about half price. If you can find a set with the shaft you like, maybe newer BH irons would help your game.

I could find info on the original steel Legend shafts, but not the graphite variation. I'm afraid I can't help much on this one.

Or, fly to upstate NY and get a Tour Edge iron demo from @onthehunt526.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

@WUTiger Those new BH look very appealing and I like the notion of the V-sole.. If I were to get new irons, I would also want to get fitted properly. A short while back, I nearly did so with some Wishon Forged Irons as one of his fitters has a shop near me. Instead, I had my existing old Edge's re gripped and they look so good, I decided to keep them.  It really does not make a lot of sense at my age to make an investment in a complete iron set when what I have does the job. OTOH, if I keep adding individual clubs to the arsenal, I am already spending nearly as much. As for the 7 iron, I have not really been practicing much in the way of full swings, as I would have to get too close to the net to prevent from going over. A six iron is about the highest loft I dare try from 12 feet. That might have a lot to do with it and might dictate a day at a driving range with the 7 iron.

Upstate NY?  If I had relatives in the area, maybe. The closest are in Ohio, maybe I should go back, heck its only been twenty years or so.

"James"

2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

As for the 7 iron, I have not really been practicing much in the way of full swings, as I would have to get too close to the net to prevent from going over. A six iron is about the highest loft I dare try from 12 feet. That might have a lot to do with it and might dictate a day at a driving range with the 7 iron.

Now I understand the situation better. I hit my drive into the wrong fairway on my first response.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

4 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Now I understand the situation better. I hit my drive into the wrong fairway on my first response.

haha...but at least you made me look up the newer Hogan Irons and I do really like their looks!  So, if I get into debt, I will probably blame you (not)... I do think I need another hybrid though.

"James"

13 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

I'm not clear. Are we talking only about hitting into a net?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

2 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I'm not clear. Are we talking only about hitting into a net?

Not really. I just have recently noticed that I do not hit the seven iron well. Then thinking about it, I realize that I do not practice with it for the reasons I stated. Since most of my practice is at home, there is no way to get full swings with lofts higher than a six iron. I have no problem with 5 or 6 iron in actual play so I am thinking perhaps that is the reason, or maybe getting a hybrid would fill in the gaps during play. Actually, most approaches are with a hybrid and if missing the green a short wedge is all I need, therefore even the 5 and 6 are not used all that often.  OTOH, if I get the 7 iron out on a driving range, I can get the feel back.   

I hope this clears it up.

Tks

"James"

On 7/22/2017 at 8:47 PM, Hacker James said:

Not really. I just have recently noticed that I do not hit the seven iron well. Then thinking about it, I realize that I do not practice with it for the reasons I stated. Since most of my practice is at home, there is no way to get full swings with lofts higher than a six iron. I have no problem with 5 or 6 iron in actual play so I am thinking perhaps that is the reason, or maybe getting a hybrid would fill in the gaps during play. Actually, most approaches are with a hybrid and if missing the green a short wedge is all I need, therefore even the 5 and 6 are not used all that often.  OTOH, if I get the 7 iron out on a driving range, I can get the feel back.   

I hope this clears it up.

Tks

Kind of.

For me the 6 is much more difficult than the 7, and the 7 is a bit harder than the 8.

I sometimes line up the 7 and 8 next to each other and puzzle why.

7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Kind of.

For me the 6 is much more difficult than the 7, and the 7 is a bit harder than the 8.

I sometimes line up the 7 and 8 next to each other and puzzle why.

Higher lofted clubs are shorter. 

"James"

14 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Higher lofted clubs are shorter. 

Actually I think it's a club head speed issue.

Note: This thread is 2461 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!