IGNORED

Fixed driver slice but feel very flat

Note: This thread is 2457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So ive been making a lot of progress with my game. Reduced most of my 3 putts to a two putt. 7 irons down are pretty easy solid shots for my approach shot.

The only thing was my long irons and driver, I would slice. And when I get anxious I would fade my mid to short irons.

I went to take a driver lesson / long iron and took a few shots and almost immediately the pro said he saw what was wrong. I rolled my forearms on take away and cupped my wrist and opened my club face while going back.

He showed me how to have a flat wrist and also the positions it should be in on back swing. Very flat and silent dead wrist with no  wrist movement at all. Felt very compact and restricted but made me use more of my torso to swing and no arms. Istarted hitting the driver straight and slight draw. Including my irons. But now I have a very very flat swing. Completely different from my regular swing. I would say my left arm on back swing is 1 or 2 inches below my armpit and not on shoulders lines. But I added a few extra yards to all my clubs and started taking divots on flushed shots.

Is there anything wrong with flat golf swings? Everyone I see is usually steep. Should I keep at it? 

Edited by hack2scratch

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm no expert but being shallower isn't such a bad thing. Some people are TOO steep... I tend to be steep at times. Stick with it, or better yet talk with your local PGA pro. I think a My Swing video would help us. @iacas probably would be able to tell you more than I, he's a pro, I'm not. But there is more than one way to play this game.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1.  Feel ain't necessarily real.

2.  Upload a "My Swing" video.  Without seeing your swing, no one can do much more than guess what's actually happening.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You gained distance and are hitting a slight draw? What's the problem again? ;-)

Maybe feeling flat is just what you need.  

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

11 hours ago, hack2scratch said:

Is there anything wrong with flat golf swings? Everyone I see is usually steep. Should I keep at it? 

I guess it depends on how flat it really is.  Recently took a few lessons to fix a few things and saw video of my swing for the first time ever.  

Quickly saw that while I thought I might be getting shallow, discovered it had become very steep.  In other words the exact opposite of what I thought I felt.

Often it seems what we think we feel, and know about our swings isn't reality.  

If the pro watching and videoing your swing doesn't say it is too flat, it probably isn't.

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

16 hours ago, hack2scratch said:

So ive been making a lot of progress with my game. Reduced most of my 3 putts to a two putt. 7 irons down are pretty easy solid shots for my approach shot.

But I added a few extra yards to all my clubs and started taking divots on flushed shots.

What the issue?

Swing the swing that gives you the best results. Theres more than one way to swing, shallow, steep, etc.

swing.jpg.1fddfca5eb764b612f13d965dc3c986d.jpg

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

8 hours ago, klineka said:

What the issue?

Swing the swing that gives you the best results. Theres more than one way to swing, shallow, steep, etc.

swing.jpg.1fddfca5eb764b612f13d965dc3c986d.jpg

I get your point, but the swings of these players are more similar on the downswing than the takeaway.  There's no way the guy on the right stays on that plane through contact, his wrist probably folds downward like Dustin's wrist is doing on his left.

So your ballflight is improving and you are asking the Internet if it's ok?

Really you can be very flat at the top and have a bad swing or be across and have a good swing.

The functional swing plane is more hip to hip.  That's where the rubber meets the road.

Edited by Jack Watson

11 minutes ago, obslice said:

There's no way the guy on the right stays on that plane through contact

I know this is OT, but I lol'd at "the guy on the right"...as if it's just some random dude, not one of the most unique and recognizable swings in golf.

• Upvote 2

- John

12 minutes ago, obslice said:

I get your point, but the swings of these players are more similar on the downswing than the takeaway.  There's no way the guy on the right stays on that plane through contact, his wrist probably folds downward like Dustin's wrist is doing on his left.

The OP didnt specify which portion of his swing (backswing or downswing) he feels is too flat. The point of the picture was to demonstrate there is more than one way to swing the golf club. 

Still goes back to the point, if you are getting the results you want, whats the issue?

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

57 minutes ago, obslice said:

Right. Backswing is largely irrelevant unless it prevents you from making a functional downswing.  Nobody hits the ball with their backswing, and if they do....well, God help them 'cuz it ain't gonna end well. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

8 hours ago, klineka said:

The OP didnt specify which portion of his swing (backswing or downswing) he feels is too flat. The point of the picture was to demonstrate there is more than one way to swing the golf club. 

Still goes back to the point, if you are getting the results you want, whats the issue?

Back swing feels flat, but I guess feel isnt real. Ball flight has improved so I am happy but wanted to see if it was a real fix or was it just some form of compensation to make it work.

Guess it's just trust issues because I tried 4 teachers now and this one was my original one. And boy do they all teach so different and makes my swing go in different directions.

I did ask if my swing was too flat and he did say no it's not flat. And I told him i think I look funny with a flat swing and he told me that my swing was funny before even seeing him lol.

The only issues is I feel very tight and compact because I'm concentrating on hold the wrist dead silent.

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

Note: This thread is 2457 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!