IGNORED

Anybody use a Chipper?

Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I carry an off-hand Cleveland Niblick (42 degrees) just for the hell of it.  I use it for repair shots when a normal swing is not possible.  One can get fairly proficient, with a chipper, if you give it time.  I don't ask a lot of it...only that it be more advantageous than declaring an unplayable.  For running chips, I use a 9 iron or pigeon wedge.

Edited by Piz
Grammatical error
  • Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My man!!!!  :beer:

My mission in life is to convince everyone with a handicap over 10 to put a chipper in he bag...

...and preferably to get rid of that damn 60* wedge too. ;-) 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

60˚ is the best club in my bag!

• Like 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

2 minutes ago, mdl said:

60˚ is the best club in my bag!

You're a 9 hcp...

In David's bag....

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

My man!!!!  :beer:

My mission in life is to convince everyone with a handicap over 10 to put a chipper in he bag...

...and preferably to get rid of that damn 60* wedge too. ;-) 

I've been trying to talk my wife into one of these for years, she can't chip worth a darn and is too stubborn to use a putter from off the green, because I don't do it.  She's had chipping lessons and I try to help her but I can't get her to not decelerate most of the time.  She skulls lots of chips. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• RandallT changed the title to Anybody use a Chipper?

I chip with my 7-iron (37 deg loft) all the time. I only use a wedge to chip/pitch when there's a trap between me and the flag and too little green to work with. I'm not sure why I'd give up another club in my 14 club bag for a "chipper" but maybe I'm missing something. Wider sole, but I've never had trouble making good contact with my 7-iron. But we all need to choose the 14 clubs that serve us best, no right answer.

Someone gave me an Alien sand wedge as a gift years ago, I tried it a few times and  literally gave it away. I've never been a fan of limited utility clubs. YMMV

Edited by Midpack

3 hours ago, Don Golfo said:

Will people take the Mick if I use one. My bro has vowed that he won't play with me if I carry one in my bag :~(

3 hours ago, Don Golfo said:

Don't know how that happened...Anyways...I have both a left and right handed niblick.  No one seems to mind the left-handed club.  In fact, I get props for having the nerve.  The right-handed club, however, draws an occasional "a chipper?  Really?"  I don't know why guys using drivers the size of cantaloupes look askance at a wide-flanged 9 iron.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

6 hours ago, Don Golfo said:

Will people take the Mick if I use one. My bro has vowed that he won't play with me if I carry one in my bag :~(

Why?  Because he's afraid you beat him on the course? ;-) 

Too many people don't use one because of some misplaced sense of ego.  Play what works.  Not what others think should work, or worse yet, think are somehow cool.  Cool is shooting lower scores.

BTW, chippers don't have to be just for immediately off the green either.  I know some very good players that use them very effectively from inside 50 yards or so.

12 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

No chipper for me.  I bought one for a gag for a friend and I've never seen him bag it.

Any time you want to pull a gag on me, I'll let you know where to send that Odyssey in the OP link!

In David's bag....

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Too many people don't use one because of some misplaced sense of ego.  Play what works.  Not what others think should work, or worse yet, think are somehow cool.  Cool is shooting lower scores.

I think for most people, the low utility is the bigger issue, not the ego thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think for most people, the low utility is the bigger issue, not the ego thing.

Yet they'll put a 60* wedge in the bag.  

Guess which one the average 15+ hcp will a) use more, and b) be more effective with....

In David's bag....

17 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Guess which one the average 15+ hcp will a) use more, and b) be more effective with....

As I 15+ hcp (15.7 at last revision), I have no use for a chipper.
However I use my 60 numerous times a round. 

Use what works!
I know a guy who carries a 9 wood.
Another who carries both a right and left handed putter!

Edited by Elmer

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I will probably buy my dad a chipper, he struggles a lot with wedge shots around the green and he basically never practices or hardly plays outside of league. It would probably help him way more than it would help me, plus I plan on practicing to get better whereas he obviously doesn't.

25 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I use my 60* wedge quiet a few times a round depending on how well I'm driving the ball. If a course has several par 4s in the low 300 yard range I'll typically be close enough for the 60 but outside of what I'd consider the effective range of a chipper. I doubt I'd be more effective with a chipper from 40-80 yards out. However, I'm not the typical 15+ HC either so I'm not saying that others wouldn't benefit from a chipper more than I would. Truth be told, most people would benefit more from practicing their short game a bit more than they would from purchasing a specialty club. Of course that's just my opinion, if someone doesn't care to try to improve their short game through practice, like my dad, then a chipper may well be worth the small investment.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

45 minutes ago, Elmer said:

As I 15+ hcp (15.7 at last revision), I have no use for a chipper.
However I use my 60 numerous times a round. 

Maybe that's why you're still a 16 hcp. ;-) 

A 16 hcp hits almost no greens in regulation.  Moreover, they very seldom get up and down all those times they miss the green.  A chipper can help improve the odds of getting up and down.

I (and a lot of others) consider this to be one of the better, more helpful instructional threads on the site...

...and for good reason.  It promotes an extremely effective, simple, method of chipping.  Using this method becomes even easier, and more effective when you use a club that has virtually the same length, lie, and feel of your putter.  The only real difference being increased loft and generally a bit of bounce, or glide as Erik likes to refer to it.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying that a chipper is a magic wand.  It needs to be practiced with, and the technique, as in Mike's video, learned.  But then, you already know how to putt, right? :-)

A chipper can help you drop strokes from your game, and if it helps you get up and down just 2 additional times in a round, you'll drop 2 or more full strokes off your handicap.  There are very few clubs that have the potential to do that for a lot of people, just by putting them in the bag and committing to using them when the situation calls for it.

In David's bag....

16 hours ago, Piz said:

I carry an off-hand Cleveland Niblick (42 degrees) just for the hell of it.  I use it for repair shots when a normal swing is not possible.  One can get fairly proficient, with a chipper, if you give it time.  I don't ask a lot of it...only that it be more advantageous than declaring an unplayable.  For running chips, I use a 9 iron or pigeon wedge.

I too have a 42 niblick I sometimes carry. Works well out of terrible lies, or even worse, off a bare ground, muddy lie. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note: This thread is 1820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!