IGNORED

Where do you buy your shafts?

scotth
Note: This thread is 2410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the past if I had to replace a shaft or grip went to the original location of Custom Golf later known as Golfsmith to pick up any club components I needed.  Now no longer in Texas and Golfsmith gone, wondering where people here order club components.  

The shaft snapped near the hosel on my 7 iron over the weekend, and the only guy at Dick's that works on clubs is on vacation for the next 2 weeks.  Don't really want to wait that long, and all the local courses and pro's send their work to him so when he gets back will likely be a long line.

I can do the work myself, just wondering who most people order shafts and other things from?  The Golf Works seems to have really good prices and shipping is not as bad as others since it is closer to me.  Thoughts?  Opinions? Other suggestions?

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I buy my shafts from a club maker i know. I really only use him for graphite shafts though. Ive used the same set of s400 shafts in my last three sets of irons. s400's are so inconsistant from set to set I've heard, so if you find a set you like its better to stay with them. 

(edited)

Buying from a local club maker or letting him fix the club would be ideal.  So far, have not found any around near me.  

Think I am going to either wait for the guy at Dick's to get back from vacation, or drive to Syracuse, or order shaft online and do work myself.  Waiting seems the most likely at this point.  

If it had been any club but my trusty 7 iron would wait no question.  :)

Edited by scotth

Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff

I buy shafts and other club tools from Golfworks.com

Get on their email list and they will send out special offers for grips, clubmaking tools, shafts, and sometimes free shipping too...

Approaching "70"....age, not score...

Ping G5 10.5 driver and 3w, TFC 100 R

Maltby H3, H4, H5, Maltby Pro Series R

Pinhawk SL 6i-Aw, Maltby Pro Series R

Maltby TSW 54 & 58, Maltby Pro Series S (tip trimmed to 8i length for the "spinner shaft" effect...experiment that seems to be one of my better decisions!)

Maltby Pure-Track PTM-1, 33" with +2* loft added

You said you do the work yourself. Check out eBay. I got a great deal on a full set of Nippon shafts. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Eye by (take that spell-Czech) shafts from one of two places: Golfworks and Goodwill.  If you know what you are looking for you can find a replacement shaft for the nuts that are like a pea.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Have to admit I never thought about goodwill or eBay for shafts.  

Good ideas!  Although Golf Works seems to have the best selection and price so far.  

Don't really want to do the work, just don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for the only guy around here that works on clubs to get back from vacation.  

7 irons are super common. Ask your club if there is one in the lost and found that has been there forever or a leftover demo club. Or just ask them if they know anyone who does any of this kind of work. That's how I found a guy.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Golfworks has a good amount of options.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

43 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

7 irons are super common. Ask your club if there is one in the lost and found that has been there forever or a leftover demo club. Or just ask them if they know anyone who does any of this kind of work. That's how I found a guy.

Did both of those.  The only guy around here that works on clubs works at Dick's Sporting Goods and all the courses send work to him.  

Being a lefty cuts down on the lost and found opportunities.  The club pro is a lefty, and I have borrowed his Ping G10 7 iron he uses while giving lessons a few times on the range.  

In fact, hitting his 7 iron made me start thinking about upgrading or modernizing my iron set.  

These last few days of looking for another club repair guy has made me think I might should hang out a shingle during the winter months. 

1 hour ago, scotth said:

Did both of those.  The only guy around here that works on clubs works at Dick's Sporting Goods and all the courses send work to him.  

Being a lefty cuts down on the lost and found opportunities.  The club pro is a lefty, and I have borrowed his Ping G10 7 iron he uses while giving lessons a few times on the range.  

In fact, hitting his 7 iron made me start thinking about upgrading or modernizing my iron set.  

These last few days of looking for another club repair guy has made me think I might should hang out a shingle during the winter months. 

Well I don't think the shaft knows if you are right or left handed so pull a match out and put it in your club.  :beer:

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

48 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Well I don't think the shaft knows if you are right or left handed so pull a match out and put it in your club.  :beer:

Doh!  Head slap moment..... totally didn't get what you meant in first post.  GREAT idea! 

Heading to a course that gets the most number of rounds each week to check out the lost and found at lunch.  "Scathingly brilliant" of you as my wife likes to say.

GolfWorks is owned by Golf Galaxy, which is owned by Dick's.

I get most shafts I need from GolfWorks. The experienced club repair people prefer that I order the shafts myself, and then bring the shafts to them for installation. GolfWorks has playability codes for the different major-brand shafts it handles.

GolfWorks is a major US clearing house for grips and shafts, and also produces a line of Maltby clubheads, which have excellent engineering. GolfWorks sends out a components catalog 3-4 times a year; get on their mailing list.

Another source would be Hireko (haven't dealt with them, but other golfers like them).

On occasion you can find something on eBay, especially if it's a shaft model that went out of production. Sometimes you can get uncut shafts for half of what the original retail price was.

Edited by WUTiger
Add in Hireko.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I thought Dick's bought Golfsmith, and Golfworks was always by itself/independent of Dick's?

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think these folks can help with your iron shafts, but I just ordered a driver shaft from Dallas Golf. They will install an OptiFit adapter, install a grip, and ship to me ready to go in my Callaway XR16 driver. I checked and they are actually cheaper than Golf Works for this service. If you do your own work, Golf Works is probably the best choice. 

Note: This thread is 2410 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!