IGNORED

The Golf Ball "Problem": PGA Tour Players Hitting it Far is a Problem for All of Golf?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The Golf Ball "Problem"  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Does the distance modern PGA Tour pros hit the ball pose a problem to golf as a whole?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is the main source of the "problem" above?

• The golf ball goes too far, primarily.
    • Several factors all contribute heavily.
    • I voted "No" above, and I don't think there's really a "problem" right now.

The only thing Nicklaus is in favor for is anything that will hinder the chances of the obviously much better golfers beating his records especially the 18 majors. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, iacas said:

There are other graphs, btw, in this Titleist document: http://media.titleist.com/images/titleist/files/us/traditionandtechnology_2017-sm.pdf

Loving it!

They certainly did their research.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There's a lot of speculation that I've been hearing that the USGA is going to bifurcate the golf ball for professionals and amateurs. I really hope they don't do that. Do you use the special ball in high level amateur events?

I'm not in favor of a distance roll back, but if they do it, do it for everybody.

Edit to add: Also, does more distance really matter that much to the pros? Riviera is about 7,300 yards, winning score there was -12 with normal conditions. The winning score at Erin Hills (7,800 yards), with US Open conditions, was -16. The score at the Honda Classic this week will probably be higher than those 2, and that course is only 7,000 yards. Granted, these are not strictly apples to apples comparisons, but it's not like PGA National is getting bombed by pros even though it's only 7,000 yards.

Edited by DeadMan
  • Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I used to care about this, now i don't. If the governing bodies what to bifurcate, then whatever. Worries about distances are a professional golf problem, not a golf problem overall. Let them deal with their own nonsense, i say. It has no effect on the other 99% of us who play.

If it causes extra annoyances or problems for the manufacturers then thats their problem, too. Im not a golf industry lobbyist. Couldnt care less about the marketing problems they would incur because of bifurcation. The major manufacturers all make like 10 different types of balls anyway, what hardship would a true "pro ball" really cause them? 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I used to care about this, now i don't. If the governing bodies what to bifurcate, then whatever. Worries about distances are a professional golf problem, not a golf problem overall. Let them deal with their own nonsense, i say. It has no effect on the other 99% of us who play.

You don’t ever foresee trying to qualify for the U.S. Open or Amateur?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

The only thing Nicklaus is in favor for is anything that will hinder the chances of the obviously much better golfers beating his records especially the 18 majors. 

You are probably right.  

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

And for those of us not at a + handicap, what about state amateur tournaments? It's not out of the realm of possibility that I could qualify for my state's mid-am tournament, but if that competition uses a different ball from what I normally use in the future, then no way.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, im never going to qualify for the US Open through local and sectional qualifying. Alot of us who try just don't realize how many touring pros show up at sectionals until they make it that far. Then your soul is crushed while you watch some stiff who is barley hanging on to a tour card shoot 136 on a course he never saw until he rolled up in the parking lot that morning. We're not beating them with any ball. The only reason i still try is to play courses i usually couldn't, anyway. 

The vibe at US Am events  in the last 10 years has turned me off, so i dont attempt that one anymore. The only way i imagine id play the US Open is by winning the Mid Am, since they're going to offer an exemption now. 

If the ball behaved the same in the air and around the greens, i dont imagine id have much problems adjusting to a bifurcated ball if i had to. Give me a couple days with the ball and id figure it out. Either way, it no skin off my back what the governing bodies decide to do. A different ball would only effect 1% of my play. 

23 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

And for those of us not at a + handicap, what about state amateur tournaments? It's not out of the realm of possibility that I could qualify for my state's mid-am tournament, but if that competition uses a different ball from what I normally use in the future, then no way.

State am tournaments are another story i guess. I don't know how that would work. I dont know if the rules would apply to Local PGA play or not either. I dont think the groove rule was applied to the State Open and Local PGA at the same time the touring pros had to switch. 

12 hours ago, Nutsmacker said:

I like that idea...or  better yet, they have to use pinnacle gold golf balls.  That way we are all happy.  The pro's will play the same equipment available to all of us...but they are forced to play the world's worst golf ball.  

Give them 2 choices. Pinnacle gold or Top Flite XL "more roll".

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

No, im never going to qualify for the US Open through local and sectional qualifying.

That's not what I said.

6 hours ago, joro said:

Like Jack said the other day, it is not the Head of the Club, but the Ball that should be rolled back.     True or not ?     

It's an opinion. One with which I disagree.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, joro said:

why ?

I don't think the ball should be rolled back.

I don't think there's a "problem" in need of a solution.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I don't think the ball should be rolled back.

I don't think there's a "problem" in need of a solution.

Every body has an opinion, yours is yours and others are theirs, doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.   I respect   your opinion however.

14 minutes ago, joro said:

Every body has an opinion, yours is yours and others are theirs, doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.   I respect   your opinion however.

The difference is one opinion wants things to stay the same and the other is either the game gets bifurcated or we all end up waiting another 20 minutes a hole as courses get backed up 15 to 30 yards per shot by average men hitting 180 yards off the tee. :-D

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, joro said:

Goes without saying. I never said anyone was wrong on this opinion.

Length does not be come a "problem" until it gets to the point where touring pros no longer have to use every iron in their bag at some point to reach a green. I want to see pros play the same game as I play, and if it's bigger, fine. When I play, sometimes I get to hit a short iron into a green. But if they hit them most of the time, and include wedges, they lose me.

Was listening to K and Mc on PGA radio-John mentioned that it was interesting that Mr. Nicklaus was supporting a shorter ball, considering the $$ he has made building golf courses.

Can't remember who mentioned just toughening up a course can curb distance, if its actually a problem.

The game is not to long for me, its getting shorter as I age 

Note: This thread is 1192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!