IGNORED

Are 95% of Golfers Republicans?

g-funk13
Note: This thread is 5826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How would you describe yourself?

• I tend to vote Democrat
    • I tend to vote Republican
    • I haven't voted for a while

So you have to be a republican to be a business man? News to me.

I certainly don't remember saying that, maybe you should read more carefully. I would certainly risk a guess to say that a majority of big business men lean to the right although.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Ice's "who has your vote" thread somebody said that 95% of Golfers are Republicans. I wanna have a Sand Trap straw poll. . . for better or worse.

I originally said that and I intended it to be a humorous exaggeration. I probably have a demented view. My family belonged to a 'country' club starting when I was 11. Then I joined one at age 28. Luckily enough for me, I got to play a lot of other clubs around Columbus in District tournaments. I guess Scioto Country Club is a humorous exaggeration today. The face of golf has changed and I'm glad.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I originally said that and I intended it to be a humorous exaggeration. I probably have a demented view. My family belonged to a 'country' club starting when I was 11. Then I joined one at age 28. Luckily enough for me, I got to play a lot of other clubs around Columbus in District tournaments. I guess Scioto Country Club is a humorous exaggeration today. The face of golf has changed and I'm glad.

I have to be honest: I thought that the polling would have been less even!

no independant up there? i am hopful bloomberg will run in 08

as for most being repub. that is a difficult issue id say no, as gold is moew of a "come as u are all is welcome" sport

Where's the libertarian button?

"The Libertarian Party is not for everyone. You must be willing to think for yourself..."
Official Website of the Libertarian Party

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

I have so enjoyed reading the posts in this thread. So, I guess I'll throw in my two cents.

First, I didn't vote in the poll because it is really an either/or poll. Some us, me included, vote for Republican candidates as well as Democratic candidates.

Tip O'Neill, U.S. Rep from Mass. and former Speaker of the House, once said that all politics is(sic) local. I tend to agree. For example, here, in Mississippi, for many years, all candidiates for office were Democrats. This was so because the party that defeated the south in the war between the states was Republican. My cousin, for many years had a farm adjacent to that farm owned by U.S. Senator James O. Eastland. The Eastlands and my cousins got to be fairly close. Hell, in these parts, everybody claimed to be close to the Eastlands. The Eastland machine wielded great power in the state for many years. Two generations of politicians cut their teeth working for Eastland in some capacity or another. Eastland cut a wide path in Washington, as well, with other southern senators of the day. Almost all, including Richard Russell of Georgia, were Democrats. Russell, you may recall was a mentor and friend to the former senator from Texas who became president upon the assassination of John Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson. Most all the southern senators, and many of the Southern members of the U.S. House, voted en masse against the 1965 Voting Rights Act that ended the Jim Crow era in the south. Now remember, all these fellows were Democrats. Johnson moaned to an aide after that vote, or the vote to pass the 1965 Civil Rights Act, that we ( read: Democrats ) have lost the south. While he may have made a muck of Vietnam, Johnson called the loss of the south right on the money. From that time forward, a slow but inevitable transition has taken place in the south in the membership of the two major political parties as well as which party commands the majority of voters in each state. In 1991, Mississippi elected its first Republican Governor since Reconstruction ( and reelected him in 1995 ). In 2003, Mississippi elected Republican Haley Barbour Governor ( and reelected him in 2007 ), a former Political Director of the Reagan White House, Chairman of the Republican National Committee and powerful and successful Washington lobbyist. In 2007, the first Republican Lt. Governor, was elected. Today, Mississippi, like most of the deep south states, with perhaps some exception, elects almost exclusively Republicans to statewide office and sends, for the most part, Republicans to the U.S. Senate.

Sadly, in my opinion, the two parties in our state are increasingly divided along racial lines: the rural hill whites have now joined the country club whites in the Republican party, and the idea that the Republican party is the socially liberal party of Lincoln and Dirckson is merely an anachronistic dream. So, when one raises the question of whether golfers are mostly Republicans or Democrats, I have to smile and think to myself that the more germane question might be, "What is the racial makeup of the golfing population?"

I find this interesting especially in light of the recent posts regarding the Kelly Tilghman incident. The political/racial situation that we face in our state and throughout most of the country certainly transcends the issue of political party and the manner in which we deal with it will, to a great extent, define us historically as a nation.

Now, if you have been patient enough to get to this point, you may wonder why this issue and the question of this thread has such resonance for me. In large part, it is because I was once the chairman of the Democratic Party in Mississippi, and I saw first hand how intense racism on the part of whites and on the part of blacks can destroy political alliances in the blink of an eye. It just breaks my heart. While the Democratic Party touted itself as the party with the biggest tent, its continual litmus tests drove from its midst socially liberal, fiscally conservative whites like me.

So, I can't vote in the poll because, while I am no longer a card carrying Democrat, I am not a card carrying Republican, either. And I will vote for a member of either party if I think that person is the most capable. I used to think people like me were just wusses because they seemed neither fish nor foul; they couldn't make up their mind and claim one ideology over another. Rather, I have come to learn that the only party to which I can claim membership is that of the pragmatists' party. Maybe one day, we can overcome the prejudice of race. I certainly pray that we choose to do so.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Not big on the politics, probably should be, but just not my thing. A man once told me you are only as good as your word, and a lot of theirs(politicans) seem empty. Just my opinion. I do enjoy golf though.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Good thread. Nice to see people have some civil discourse on politics...for now anyway.

I've voted mostly Republican all my life, but I'm leaning Libertarian more and more. I just don't think this country has become what our founding fathers had intended it to become...and I don't blame Democrats or Republicans. It's everyone's mess.

And I'm scared at who is leading the polls in both parties right now.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I am pretty impressed with this thread and how people have replied. There are so many people out there who are disenchanted with American Govt. My personal opinion is that the structure is good, but accountability is very low. I don't expect any candidate to follow through with campaign promises. Two examples that come to mind are the Democrats in the 06 midterm elections with their promises for change regarding Iraq, and Bush the first "read my lips. . . "
They get power, they make decisions that don't reflect their constituency or campaign promises.

Did the original endorsers of the Constitution envision a country of 300 million+ citizens? Does the electoral college still justify its existence?

What can I do about it? I KNOW its not gonna cut into my golf time, my family time. . .

• Administrator
Good thread. Nice to see people have some civil discourse on politics...for now anyway.

I don't care about politics. I never have.

I have to remind myself constantly that the government isn't bad. I don't mind paying income taxes. I went to a good public school. I like having paved roads and a police force and an over-riding principle of freedom. But when I really look at things, I don't like how my tax dollars are spent. I think 95 cents of every dollar is probably wasted on red tape and useless bureacracy. I think public schools are suffering. Our freedom is being increasingly modified to mean "we can wire tap anyone because of some vague national threat level we control." I, like Dave, have been more and more Libertarian. I agree both parties have screwed things up. I agree with his take on the two leading candidates. Gone are the days when what America wants is really considered. Elections these days are not about choosing a candidate who is right for you, but about choosing the lesser of the evils. That's sad and disgusting.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Gone are the days when what America wants is really considered. Elections these days are not about choosing a candidate who is right for you, but about choosing the lesser of the evils. That's sad and disgusting.

My sentiments exactly! This is the discussion I had with my friend last night while watching the Disarray of the Union address. Change is needed but none of the candidates are capable of doing what is needed.

A couple of thoughts, my friend: politics was the means by which the compromises were reached that allowed our founding fathers to cobble together the confederation of states that became our country. Politics is a hard, slow, difficult process and it is not often a fair process. I guess a key component of it is the fact that politics is a process in which one engages to change or maintain power for the purpose of governing. So, I think it helps to engage in the process to best understand and appreciate it. It pains me that someone like you is so disenchanted with the process by which we govern ourselves. You are just the type of person who should engage.

Finally, I will add only, lest I appear to be a hypocrite, while once very involved, I consider myself somewhat a casualty of the rough game of party politics. I know first hand how easy it is to become calloused about it all. My best advice, however, is this: do not disengage. Engaging is the only means we have of collectively governing ourselves. Get and stay involved, even if it is only about a single issue on a local level. By doing this, I can assure you, you can change things for the better. I proffer this to you respectfully.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

A couple of thoughts, my friend: politics was the means by which the compromises were reached that allowed our founding fathers to cobble together the confederation of states that became our country. Politics is a hard, slow, difficult process and it is not often a fair process. I guess a key component of it is the fact that politics is a process in which one engages to change or maintain power for the purpose of governing. So, I think it helps to engage in the process to best understand and appreciate it. It pains me that someone like you is so disenchanted with the process by which we govern ourselves. You are just the type of person who should engage.

I agree. I was not born in the US nor am i a citizen now but I can tell you that this is by far the best country in the world for the opportunities it gives everyone to lead an equal, fulfilling life. You have the right to have a say in how everything rolls in this land and to a larger extent the world and you should exercize it in the best way you deem fit.

There is greater risk in not being involved than being involved and getting it wrong once in a while.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

With the amount of vitriol that can usually accompany a discussion on politics, this thread has been a great discussion of ideas.

I didn't vote in the poll as there wasn't an option for "Neither". I tended to vote a bit more Republican in the past but I guess I take it on a candidate-by-candidate basis now. Neither party does nothing for me as both are just sell-outs to special interests and big money and IMHO, you really can't tell the difference anymore between the two.

Besides being tired of politics, I'm pretty fed up with with the American voting public. It seems like we are at two extremes, either you are so delusional about your party or candidate that any attempt at rational discussion is pointless as compromise or thinking the other person has a valid argument is out the window OR you are so ill-informed because you are more concerned about the latest about Britney or whatever Hollywood star is in the news for being a moron or too busy watching reality TV. You can't blame the politicians for everything, we're just as guilty for allowing this to happen.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

• Administrator
It pains me that someone like you is so disenchanted with the process by which we govern ourselves. You are just the type of person who should engage.

And I'd love to get involved, but frankly, I long ago determined that I can have a better impact on my fellow Americans, the world, and my friends and family by trying to be a good guy.

For me to discuss politics would be like screaming in a vacuum. I used to discuss politics semi-frequently on my blog. I supported Bush quite awhile ago, and I tend to lean to the right. I'll emphasize "quite awhile ago." Republicans used to stand for less government. Now both sides want bigger government, and heck, the GOP may want a bigger one than the Donkeys. So pfffft. I'll never be elected to anything because I'm too honest. To me, separation of church and state means "In God We Trust" shouldn't be on our money - how is that not "pushing" or "endorsing" a religion? And you can't get elected without the support of religious groups. I'll give Democrats credit in this regard: I thought it would be a long time before we'd ever see a woman or a black president, but they timed this perfectly. A young-ish black guy, a woman married to a former President who, for whatever reason, was well liked, and an incompetent President that makes the opposing party look horrible. The way it looks now, it's almost a lock we'll have one or the other as president (and maybe the other as the VP).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And I'd love to get involved, but frankly, I long ago determined that I can have a better impact on my fellow Americans, the world, and my friends and family by trying to be a good guy.

I wish I had these foresights a while back. Except for the "I went to a good public school" part - I went to LAUSD.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I have never voted along party lines. However, I would say now that I am closer to a Democrat than a Republican. However, this is more due to my disenchantment with the current regime over the debacle in Iraq and the ever growing defecit. I am a little confused on how we can be so far in debt and we are going to start sending tax "relief" rebates to people. You can also rest assured I will cash my check when it comes. At the same time, I will tell everyone that I voted for Bush in 2000. I also liked the way he initially handled 9/11. I had no problem with going into Afghanastan and initially into Iraq. Until I found out that the WMD story was crap. I am in favor of the death penalty and I do believe in an eye for an eye at times. What bothers me is the total lack of a plan and the unwillingness to admit mistakes no matter how clear they are. I have a hard time accepting the fact that gas is $3.00 a gallon.

The "Religious Right" scare the crap out of me. I am Pro Choice, but do not think abortion should be used regularly as birth control. At the same time, people make mistakes. I don't think a 16 year old should be raising a kid just because they made a careless mistake. I think stem cell research could lead to some of the most important scientific breakthroughs ever.

I hate politics and I could not even watch last night. To have a comentator saying who clapped and who laughed at his jokes is ridiculous. Our country is far to divided. We became the most powerful nation in the world through unity. Unfortunately we are now a nation divided because the left hand and the right hand can't agree on enough to get anything done. They are more worried about making eachother look bad.

Here is how I voted in every Presidental Ellection since 1988:

1988 Bush. He was the Vice President and I supported him.

1992 Bush. See above.

1996 Clinton. He won me over.

2000 Bush. I liked the fact that Powell was one of his staff. See how quickly he bolted.

2004 Kerry. I thought he was a total ass and was largely undecided until I ran into one of my neighbors at the polling station. Her husband was in Iraq. He had been there for over a year on a 6 month assignment as Army Reserve. He was there more than 18 months when it was said and done. She didn't say anything to me about who she was voting for, but it was enough to make me vote for the lesser of two evils. Or should I say against the Evil of two lessers.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Note: This thread is 5826 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!