IGNORED

Increasing club head speed with ghost balls

wakefield724
Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been trying a new way to increase club head speed and it has been working. Swing with no ball on the ground as hard as you can. I learned this trick from a long drive competitor. When we swing at the ball we are too focused on hitting it right which does not allow us to go full throttle. When we swing at an imaginary ball we can go full throttle which In turn makes us use more effort and breaks down muscle faster. I try to swing 25 times a day full speed and when I golf I have seen my club head speed has become faster with the same amount of effort due to a stronger swinging muscle group. When I started golf in April my club head speed was around 90ish. I am now up to 118 with goals of competing in amateur long drive next year so I have a goal of 130 by July. I am not expert by any means but this method works for me

I'm not all that much better than you score-wise, but swinging a club without a ball isn't going to give the same speed results as with a lighter object like an alignment stick with a small weight attached or no weight in some training methods.

A lot of people recommend this method to develop swing speed. I personally don't because I'd more than likely injure my aging body swinging faster anyway. :whistle:

Here's a video showing that method. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is a lot of speed, what are you trying to do with that speed? Are you trying to join a long drive contest? What you need to focus on is consistency and not swing speed. I have gotten beat by senior citizen scratch players because they are automatic with there shots. not long distance, but right down the center every single time.

drive for show, put for dough.

what kind of golf do you play? do you play completions, tournaments, or just for fun? If you are playing for fun, grip it and rip it. if you are trying to win trophies, money, club championships, etc... your going to need to focus on keeping the ball in play.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

4 hours ago, RickPro said:

That is a lot of speed, what are you trying to do with that speed? Are you trying to join a long drive contest? What you need to focus on is consistency and not swing speed. I have gotten beat by senior citizen scratch players because they are automatic with there shots. not long distance, but right down the center every single time.

what kind of golf do you play? do you play completions, tournaments, or just for fun? If you are playing for fun, grip it and rip it. if you are trying to win trophies, money, club championships, etc... your going to need to focus on keeping the ball in play.

He stated that he's interested in amateur long drive, but increasing from 118 actual swing speed to 130 is going to take serious training and "youthfulness".

OTOH, if he's using a SS radar unit, then the actual speed of the swing differs by a lot. I have two types of these swing speed monitors that clock over 130 with great regularity doing "no ball" swings, but when you get me on a foresight GC2 my SS is only about 100. That's what I meant by actual swing speed in the above sentence, on a GC2 monitor. Even Trackman and Flightscope seem to overstate swing speed compared to GC2. For instance my son is about 110mph on average on GC2, but has clocked over 116 a few times with a 10 shot average on the radar units. On the course he probably swings 106 or so, and I only swing in the mid to high 90s.

So, going from 118 to 130 on a GC2 is pretty astronomically difficult unless you happen to be pretty young and have a lot of fast twitch muscles. That is, if he's really currently swinging 118.

Note that on GC2 you can't get SS without hitting a ball. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

what kind of golf do you play? do you play completions, tournaments, or just for fun? IIf you are playing for fun, grip it and rip it. if you are trying to win trophies, money, club championships, etc... your going to need to focus on keeping the ball in play.hello

I am interested in competing in long drive and I would like to be a ringer for scrambles by being the guy who can drive far.  Getting into golf in my mid 20s I realize that I will never go pro but with my stature  I feel I can be a solid driver if I focus much of my attention on that

7 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

I am interested in competing in long drive and I would like to be a ringer for scrambles by being the guy who can drive far.  Getting into golf in my mid 20s I realize that I will never go pro but with my stature  I feel I can be a solid driver if I focus much of my attention on that

That seems pretty reasonable as well. . .but 130 is really fast. You're young enough to do it for sure, but there's more to it than stature. You need the fast twitch muscles to get from where you are now to 130. I have many playing partners who are over 6'5", one of them almost 7' and they don't swing that much faster than me. Possibly slower. Then I have a playing partner who's 5'4" and can out drive pretty much everyone my age. . .

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

lots of disagreement between weighted club vs speed training. I have a home made speed stik trainer with a "sliding" sleeve that has given me good results and I can definitely see an improvement after a few swings before taking an actual club in hand.  I may post photos in my practice thread when I ever get my aforementioned batteries for camera. (I know I keep mentioning it, but for some reason do not think about it when I am out and about plus its not a high priority).

34 minutes ago, Lihu said:

That seems pretty reasonable as well. . .but 130 is really fast. You're young enough to do it for sure, but there's more to it than stature. You need the fast twitch muscles to get from where you are now to 130. I have many playing partners who are over 6'5", one of them almost 7' and they don't swing that much faster than me. Possibly slower. Then I have a playing partner who's 5'4" and can out drive pretty much everyone my age. . .

Reminds me of Ian Woosnam. he is short of stature, but long in drives.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 9/10/2017 at 6:58 AM, RickPro said:

Nope.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Nope.

@iacas that's it? "Nope" I mean now really, just that "Nope" :-)

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

4 hours ago, djake said:

Yup. 

• Like 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
21 hours ago, djake said:

I've only covered it a billion times by now. Okay, maybe just a million. :-)

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 10/4/2017 at 5:09 AM, djake said:

Long thread: 

The gist of it is that the long game matters more than what many has historically believed, which means the phrase "drive for show, putt for dough" is incorrect. Those winning tournaments usually gain more strokes on the long game than on putting and short game. Statistics and the recently revealed and all-so-useful 'strokes gained' stat is pretty clear on this.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, iacas said:

I've only covered it a billion times by now. Okay, maybe just a million. :-)

yeah I know, I just got a kick out of your one word answer.  It literally was a day brightener

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:56 AM, Zeph said:

Long thread: 

The gist of it is that the long game matters more than what many has historically believed, which means the phrase "drive for show, putt for dough" is incorrect. Those winning tournaments usually gain more strokes on the long game than on putting and short game. Statistics and the recently revealed and all-so-useful 'strokes gained' stat is pretty clear on this.

@Zeph I totally agree with you and I understand the statistics supporting this.

When my Driver is on I score, that plain and simple.  

Last season i averaged 106 mph with the Driver but I was noticing a slight decline at age 54.  I was told that I could not increase my club head speed and to get used to it.  That did not sit well with me.  So last off season I started to study everything I could regarding the Driver and how I could optimize that one club. 

I also started to study how I could increase my club head speed and I set out to build a off season series of work outs specifically targeting Golf.  My goal was to get to 110 mph with the Driver and at a minimum to stop or slow the decay of swing speed due to age.

Well I hit 111mph going into this season and then I got professionally fit for the Driver and my distance off the Tee is further then i have EVER had in my life, at age 54!

Now going into this offseason I feel that I have 2 1/2 more months of additional work out time because I have a solid base to start my workouts with that last year i did not have.  I plan on adding and subtracting to my work out program so that I keep the work outs fresh.

At age 55 my goal for next season is 115 mph with the Driver.

I want to add, taking the time to get professionally fit for the current Driver I have made a significant difference in combination to my work outs.  How tight my dispersion with the new Driver is at a level that i would dream about with added distance.  As well as for the first time in my life I can actually work a Driver.  I get on a tee box and the level of confidence I have is at a all time high and it sure is fun.

Since this topic was about a method increasing club head speed, yes find a method and work it.  If you stick to it the work outs it will make a difference.

I want to add that during the golf season I scale my work outs way back and go to a maintenance level.  to heavy of a work out set while i am in the middle of the golf season actually hurts my game.  I will also do a "taper" (for those who understand that term) before major golf outings or tournaments.

- Dean

Sounds like one of those Speed Stick Commercials where the claim is that after 15 swings, you will gain 20 yards. Some merit to it however, my "hacker whacker" not withstanding.  

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!